Putting ID on Small Children while at WDW???

hmhs

Mouseketeer
I'm wondering if I should put some type of Identification on my 3 yr old while we are at WDW next month...just in case, God forbid, he gets seperated from us. Maybe something like a card in his pocket with our hotel and cell #'s on it? Has anyone else done this- what works well? Any advice would be appreciated!!

I put a card with my name, my husband's name and our cell #s in my dd's pocket. I told her that if we got lost that she needed to find someone and give them that card.

Me being paranoid, like I am, I actually put one in each pocket.

Some folks pin it to their kids, but that doesn't seem very comfortable.

At a local theme park here they use those bracelets, the papery kind like what you probably get for special events at Disney, and those have the parents names and cell numbers. We saw tons of kids with them on and thought it was a good idea.

I've looked into this (have a ds-2yo and dd-6yo) and have found a few different suggestions:

http://www.whosshoesid.com/ - a tag that attaches to the child's shoelace

I ended up getting these bracelets (the laser version)...

http://www.shanrene.com/custom-wristbands.php

I got two for each child and put "If lost call my mommy at ###-###-#### (cell)" and "If lost call my daddy at ###-###-#### (cell)"

They came VERY quickly and I'm putting them away for the trip.

I opted for the bracelets over the shoe tag so that way the kids can wear their sandals or crocs in the parks and still have contact info on them.

I used the shoe ID tag in the link posted above for our last two trips. The only problem was that there was nowhere to put it when he wanted to wear his Crocs. Fortunately, he had pants with belt loop on and I just looped the tag on those.

For this year's trip (and the future), I'm ordering him a Road ID bracelet. They are intended for runners, which is why I have one. Once I got mine, I realized that it would make a great band for my son. He's really excited about getting his own.

I don't know if I can post links, but the address is http://www.roadid.com/ - they are really well made and comfortable.

That roadid looks cool...but our FOUR bracelets including shipping cost less than $12.

I think that the plastic bracelets will work fine for a 2.5yr, especially since I got one for my ds who will turn 2yo while we are at WDW in December!

I have the bracelets from Shanrene and really like them. They are youth sized, which is slightly larger than would fit a 2.5yo's wrist, but will fit well as an anklet.

Because my 19mo would tear off a bracelet, lose a card in his pocket, and is odd about shoes I planned to laminate a card with our names and our toll free number (It will ring both our cell phones if dialed) onto his belt loop with a key ring.

We used bracelets from idonme.com. They're pricier than other options, but they did exactly what they were supposed to do. They are well made and I highly recommend them as a good option. We've used them since our WDW trip as well, during other travels. Money well spent, IMHO.

All GREAT ideas, thanks!! I'm going to look into the bracelet option- but I'm not sure he will keep it on and if he does he won't like it. He will wear Crocs the whole time so the shoe thing won't work unfortunately.

If I do something like the card in the pocket or a ring around his belt loop (he usually wears his shirt out) do you think people would think to look for ID in those places?

Maybe I should just tatoo it on his forehead....j/k!!

Any more ideas??? So glad I asked, you people are so helpful!

We have done the Braclets but put them on her Ankle instead of her wrist when she was younger. Then we went to the DogTag style ID tags and would Pin them on her shorts or put them through her laces if the shoes had them.

Always Just Our Name and Cell #'s only.

Also told her if anything happens go to the person using the cash registers as only employees can use them.

HMHS they do sell Tatoos just like that with all your info on them and just put it on their Back os your not far off.

One other suggestion is the "dog tags" from the machine at Wal Mart. I had them imprinted for my kids for just a few dollars each and put them on a necklace. I had imprinted my name and cell phone number, my daughter's name, and the resort name. I used a short chain so that it didn't come off on the rides, and the kids never complained. After a while, they forgot they had them on. They, of course, were told that if they got lost, they were to look for someone with a CM nametag on and ask them to call the number on the tag.
The other thing I did for my piece of mind was to take a digital photo of each child every morning before we left the resort so that if one of them got lost I would have an accurate description of what they were wearing, what their hair looked like, etc. I'm always afraid that if one of them were missing, I wouldn't be able to recall anything helpful!

We did the engraved dog tags too. We put DD's first name (for those of you who don't like publicizing your child's name, it's not readable at all unless you're inches away) and our cell phone numbers. They come in different colors and shapes so you can let your child pick out one they'll like (we had a red heart for DD). BTW, those things make nice luggage tags too!

Last year when we traveled with our boys ages 1 and 3 we gave the 3 year old a dog tag necklace with our information on it handed it to him and he happily wore it. We bought some where you get 2 of each kind. The second tag we attached to his shoe at the bottom laces... natrually he refused to wear his lace up shoes but he was covered with his dog tag

for my 1 year old we diaper pinned his tag to the back of his shirt neck on the outside... sure it showed in pictures but we knew if he wondered off someone would see our phone number

julie

Just wanted to add they use to have the DogTAg machines with Disney characters in the Parks ( AK in the store after Dino).

Also take a Daily Picture or anytime you change Cloths so you will have an updated photo to show.In a panic it's hard to remember what the kids are wearing

Just wanted to add they use to have the DogTAg machines with Disney characters in the Parks ( AK in the store after Dino).

Also take a Daily Picture or anytime you change Cloths so you will have an updated photo to show.In a panic it's hard to remember what the kids are wearing
Great advice. :thumbsup2 I did this with DD. And you get some great pictures too! I made it a daily event before we left the hotel room to pose her in the same spot on the balcony. I just told her that I wanted to take pictures of how beautiful she looked every morning. Kids don't need to know why you are actually doing it.

When we went in May 06 our son had just turned two. I was worried he would get seperated from us so I made my own tags and alot of people commented on what a neat idea it was. I bought the little clear pouches used for ID badges at meetings/conventions and I printed on one side of paper one family photo, one of him and his daddy, and one of him and his mommy (in photoshop I combined the three images on one page in the dimmensions needed to fit in the badge holder). Along with the three photos wrote "If Lost see back of card". On another paper which was not visible to strangers I put our cell phone numbers, our names, our hotel, and also two contact numbers back home for grandparents (just in case). I also put on that he should not be given ice cream or milk products since he was allergic to milk (since I had read on the disboards that one person who had found a lost child had bought them an ice cream to help calm them down until their parents were found). I placed both "cards into the badge holder and then everyday I would tell my son I needed to check his tag in his shirt and I would pin it to the back of his shirt (so he couldn't take it off). Just thought I would share my idea that worked well for us.

I can send photos if you need them to show what I am talking about.

-Jennifer:goodvibes

Great idea Jennifer, similar to what I had in mind but with more details than I had come up with yet!

I worry about putting my room info on my children where other's could easily see it, because then they know what room is empty to go and try to break into.

I also worry about putting last names on it so that someone wouldn't say, "Hey Miss Jones, come with me, you've won a prize" and walk away with my kid.

I guess I am just a worry wart!!!

I suppose the cell phone number would be enough. Anyone have any other suggestions of information to make sure the tags have?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter