Pulling kids out of school for a WDW trip

Before anyone gets busy packing to move to Texas because of a $400 property tax bill, I'd like to point out that most people I know pay 5 figures in property taxes. Even a relative with a property valued at $80K pays close to $2000 per year.
Funny, this IS an $80,000 house according to Zillow.

They had late buses where I was at as well. It was a blanket one though so let's say you were getting help from a teacher on homework or a test you could stay after and take the afterschool late bus. It could also be for student council or for sports, etc. I took the late bus when I was in middle school and was in art club (a club that my friends and I and the art teacher actually formed). Beyond the time that the last late bus left though you were on your own as far as transportation.

Not sure if they have that for elementary school though honestly.[/QUOTE

Elementary doesn’t have late buses here either.

The two late buses are it here too. If your activity arrives back later, kids are on their own. But that would be an exception and something to be arranged for ahead of time- say for a game at a far location or a F/T.

Yeah, we debated moving to a cheaper state than California, but we just know too many people who regret pulling up roots when they retire. So we remodeled 5 years ago, and are working at getting a few loose ends (fencing, etc) in the next 2 years and hope to retire then.
It’s funny, because we’re the only one’s left in NY of our family. They all left to Southern states from NC to FL. New family roots starting down that way.

We like the climate here, but not the cost of living or the stress/crowds. NY has a problem with with people exiting- the Governor has talked about the issue. Maybe they can solve that in the next 12 years, if not we’ll end up someplace likely closer to family.

It’s funny, because we’re the only one’s left in NY of our family. They all left to Southern states from NC to FL. New family roots starting down that way.

We like the climate here, but not the cost of living or the stress/crowds. NY has a problem with with people exiting- the Governor has talked about the issue. Maybe they can solve that in the next 12 years, if not we’ll end up someplace likely closer to family.
Yeah. We're the opposite really. DW and I are now the older generation as our parents and aunts and uncles have all passed in the last 5 years, and both our kids still live within 5 miles of us. We kind of wondered when DS got married if he would move away but they bought a house here, so I guess they are staying.

Before anyone gets busy packing to move to Texas because of a $400 property tax bill, I'd like to point out that most people I know pay 5 figures in property taxes. Even a relative with a property valued at $80K pays close to $2000 per year.
The people who bought my FIL's house are paying more than the $400. A higher value but the taxes are less than half of your example. FROM ZILLOW:
YEAR PROPERTY TAXES CHANGE TAX ASSESSMENT CHANGE
2018 $777 -- $93,950 --
2017 $777 +1.8% $93,950 +7.6%
2016 $763 -11.3% $87,330 +4.2%
2015 $860 -- $83,822 -0.7%
2014 $860 -- $84,390

The people who bought my FIL's house are paying more than the $400. A higher value but the taxes are less than half of your example. FROM ZILLOW:
2018 $777 -- $93,950 --
2014 $860 -- $84,390

Wow -- I just looked up mine on zillow. The Tax assessment price of our house is $98,000 (although the sale price is estimated to be much higher). Our taxes, in low-cost-of living Ohio, were $6,946 for 2018. When we moved in (2003) they were $4,579.

Wow -- I just looked up mine on zillow. The Tax assessment price of our house is $98,000 (although the sale price is estimated to be much higher). Our taxes, in low-cost-of living Ohio, were $6,946 for 2018. When we moved in (2003) they were $4,579.
Below for my house. $101,000 purchase price. Estimated value today $433,085, appraised $202,527
2018 $2,399 +1.1% $202,527 +2%
2017 $2,374 +7.1% $198,557 +2%
2016 $2,217 +1.9% $194,665 +1.5%
2015 $2,177 -- $191,742 +2%

My parents split time between TX and MO. Their TX home is valued much lower than their MO home, but the taxes are higher for the TX home.

Now, TX does not have personal property tax, so their car is licensed in TX for that reason.

Lived in Texas my whole life and while we have no income tax our property taxes are generally 2.5 to 3.0 % of your assesed value. Keep in mind they revalue your property every year not every 5 or 10 years. With state and local sales tax it comes to 8.25% for Sales Tax. We have no personal property taxes and car registrations run about $80 a year. So property taxes are significant. There are provisions that if you declare the home your "homestead" that the value can increase no more than 10% per year for tax purposes. Second homes and vacation homes have no such limit. Where things do get different is if you own land. I own 58 acres and because I lease it for grazing cattle and have a hay field that gets cut several times a year I can clain an agricultural exemption that significantly lowers the taxes. 58 acres valued at $175K gets taxed about $150 a year. There are also freezes for taxes based on age etc.

2018 $777 -- $93,950 --
2014 $860 -- $84,390
Maybe you know seniors with homestead exemptions. That can cut your bill to 1/4 of what someone else would pay. We’ve been paying property tax for over 30 years (always with a homestead exemption) and have never paid $400, even on our first $100,000 home. School district might have a lot to do with it, because the higher rated districts often charge more in taxes.

I’d dance a jig at $400 taxes. Heck, I’d dance a jig at $4000 taxes. That’s just never been my experience in Texas and I’ve lived here all my life.

Lived in Texas my whole life and while we have no income tax our property taxes are generally 2.5 to 3.0 % of your assesed value. Keep in mind they revalue your property every year not every 5 or 10 years. With state and local sales tax it comes to 8.25% for Sales Tax. We have no personal property taxes and car registrations run about $80 a year. So property taxes are significant. There are provisions that if you declare the home your "homestead" that the value can increase no more than 10% per year for tax purposes. Second homes and vacation homes have no such limit. Where things do get different is if you own land. I own 58 acres and because I lease it for grazing cattle and have a hay field that gets cut several times a year I can clain an agricultural exemption that significantly lowers the taxes. 58 acres valued at $175K gets taxed about $150 a year. There are also freezes for taxes based on age etc.

Agricultural land is taxed much cheaper here in MO as well. Moreover, building permits aren’t required for barns/sheds if they are far enough from the house. I only have 7.4 acres, but it’s zoned agricultural (5 is the minimum) and it lowers my taxes somewhat from “residential”.

Agricultural land is taxed much cheaper here in MO as well. Moreover, building permits aren’t required for barns/sheds if they are far enough from the house. I only have 7.4 acres, but it’s zoned agricultural (5 is the minimum) and it lowers my taxes somewhat from “residential”.
In terms of land size it can def. help.

Best friend's husband's owns 40 acres. It's zoned as rural and then broken up by Farming / ranch operation with crops, grazing, etc and Farming, plowing, tilling, harvesting, or related activities. They do plant crops every now and then but it's a hobby not a business. I believe about 10acres is residential usage.

Their property as a whole is valued at about half of ours but in proportion to that they more in property tax than we do. If you doubled their property tax amount it's about $900 more than ours.

Then again we own 0.27 acres (full residential as single family district) and they own 40 :) so in terms of land they make out a lot better than we do.

That's a brief overview because there are a few things we pay for on our property tax that they don't and vice versa due to different cities and school districts; same County though.

In Texas it lowers the taxes a lot. With no Ag exemption my farm would pay $4,400 a year in taxes as opposed to the $150 a year I do pay.

Edited: We do have to pay extra property taxes on oil wells that we my collect royalties from but that is based on the production of the well for the year. They are not nearly as much as the full property taxes but slightly more than the ag exempt taxes.

So? I've never understood people complaining (or mods closing) threads because they don't exactly follow the original post. Threads are like conversations... they migrate from topic to topic. If you don't like the topic a thread has moved to, either stop reading the thread or make a post to bring it back on topic. And no, IMO, saying "let's bring this back on topic" doesn't count.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter