Pulling kids out of school for a WDW trip

At the high school level in my district all finals are scheduled for the last three days of school. So annoying.
That would be annoying. I’m not sure of the high school testing schedule here yet since I only have 6th graders, but I’ll utilize this schedule as long as I can!

I haven’t read all the previous posts but for me taking kids out of school for vacations is ok until high school.

Also we live in Canada and being on the Disboards for 15 years I see there is a big difference between Canadian and American schools when it comes to this. I have read countless posts about unexcused absences and we don’t have that here so maybe my answer would be different if I lived in America.

To each his/her own. However, we take our vacations during any one of the 13 weeks out of the year we have off from school.

I agree and would love to do it this way this but since I am last in seniority at work I can’t get a single day off in summer , March Break, Christmas break etcbecause our policy says only 2 people off at a time and they all book school breaks:sad1:

Well, we stopped for a while when my older one hit Jr High because the amount of homework upon return was ridiculous.

However, that school (it is where my younger son goes now), no longer gives homework, so that piece of it is gone.

And, my older son's high school encourages family vacations.

As a matter of fact, I reached out to his advisory teacher on Monday about our last-minute trip I booked for 17 days from now. She responded:

"With XXXX's work ethic and dedication to academics, I have no concerns about his absences. If needed, he will have an additional week upon returning to class to ask questions and continue to make up any of the work that he may have gotten confused about over vacation"

So, as long as the school keeps being this family-friendly and my sons do not feel they are at a disadvantage upon return when they miss, we will pull them out when the deals happen or the mood strikes.

This will be vacation #3 since school started this year, and I have seen no ill effects yet.

We pulled our 1st grader out for our latest trip and no one at her school batted an eye. Her teacher gave her homework and both her teacher and the office told her to have a great time.

We've had no problems. We pulled them out the years they were K/2, 1/3, and 2/4. This year we didn't just because we changed things up and went over the summer. Next year we will be back to pulling them out for a week and they will be in 4th and 6th. Our district actually has a form that we fill out and submit ahead of time. We are allowed to have one family vacation a year with them missing up to 5 days.

Quick question - how is letting marching band, cheerleading and dance teams out of school for a trip to WDW ok but not if a parent wants to? They are all extra curricular activities and not pivotal for their education? Not everyone is in or wants to be in those activities. Everyone should be given the same opportunities.

I see no difference. :flower1:

Quick question - how is letting marching band, cheerleading and dance teams out of school for a trip to WDW ok but not if a parent wants to? They are all extra curricular activities and not pivotal for their education? Not everyone is in or wants to be in those activities. Everyone should be given the same opportunities.

School sanctioned events always count as excused as far as I know. There is no actual difference but if a student misses school for a sanctioned event they can make up the work, if a vacation is considered unexcused and your kid can't make up the work there is a difference in that respect.

Because the state views school trips as “attendance” and personal trips as “absence”. It’s as simple as that.

Also can’t speak for your district, but our kids who’ve been on those trips typically get at most 2 days in the parks and only miss 3 days of school, not a week or more.

Because the state views school trips as “attendance” and personal trips as “absence”. It’s as simple as that.

Also can’t speak for your district, but our kids who’ve been on those trips typically get at most 2 days in the parks and only miss 3 days of school, not a week or more.

Very hypocritical and not an equal educational opportunity for all. They are all personal trips, again not pivotal for their education. Based on accepted personal choices; heaven forbid if your personal choices do not agree with the school system.
So those kids that get to go to WDW for playtime are entitled because the law says so but not the others who go to WDW with their parents? School playtime trumps parental playtime?
I'd be asking about that.
By the way, my nephew is out for a week of school in April with the marching band at his HS, going to WDW.

IMHO gives children an example that not everyone is treated equally and teaches those that go a bad lesson on entitlement. :flower1:

Very hypocritical and not an equal educational opportunity for all. They are all personal trips, again not pivotal for their education. Based on accepted personal choices; heaven forbid if your personal choices do not agree with the school system.
So those kids that get to go to WDW for playtime are entitled because the law says so but not the others who go to WDW with their parents? School playtime trumps parental playtime?
I'd be asking about that.
By the way, my nephew is out for a week of school in April with the marching band at his HS, going to WDW.

IMHO gives children an example that not everyone is treated equally and teaches those that go a bad lesson on entitlement. :flower1:

Go ahead & ask, but ask your state legislators, not the school. They’re the ones who set the standards.

When I was in high school and marching band went to WDW, it was during spring break so no one missed school for it.

Our HS band goes for 5 school days. Last year they spent 2 days at WDW, 1 at universal and 1 at the CoCo Key resort.
I think they had one day of band obligation the rest was actually play time.
And they missed a week of school for that?

Sounds like you don't know how much work goes into performing.
They’re still all considered EXTRA curricular no matter how valuable they are or how much work or skills they require. What about athletics? This happens a lot for that too. I think the poster’s point is simply there is a double standard. Either academic instruction is of the utmost importance above everything else for everyone or it isn’t.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!