PTR -- Oogie Boogie Parties, Disneyland, and Universal, Oh my! - Sept 2021 Pre-trip Report!

Universal Studios Hollywood Plans!

Ok, these are MUCH less fleshed out...definitely gonna need to do more research here! We did buy our tickets already -- we did want to do more than one day in the park and a silver annual pass was cheaper than 2 one day tickets, so we bought two of those.
  • Saturday, Sept 19: check in; park day
  • Monday, Sept 20: park day
  • Tuesday, Sept 21: check out, head to airport
I know we want to eat at the 3 Broomsticks in Harry Potter world, and the crepe place in Citywalk. We just saw a review of NBC Grill by Ordinary Adventures and Trevor wants to try their huge pretzel. But beyond that, we have yet to plan. Trevor really wants to see Harry Potter world, and so we're considering buying express pass for Monday, but we'll see how it goes. I'm plus size, so I'm also a bit concerned I may not fit on some of the rides--Universal Hollywood seems much less documented with regards to plus size people than WDW and Universal Orlando, so I'm not sure, but I guess we'll find out. :)
I live across the street from Universal and just had the big pretzel!!! He will love it!

Now that the Halloween foodie guide has dropped (thank heavens!), what items do you want to get?
Here's what I'd like to try: Chocolate and Red Velvet Parfait from Galactic Grill, Cookie and Cream Macaron from Jolly Holiday, Halloween Grey Stuff from Red Rose Tavern, Cookies and Candy Sundae from Clarabelle's, Vampire Mickey Sourdough bread from Boudin Bakery, Cozy Cone Macaron with Peanut Butter and Pretzels, and Loaded Gravy Fires at Flos. I can't wait for reviews on the halloween items start to come in.

Here's what I'd like to try: Chocolate and Red Velvet Parfait from Galactic Grill, Cookie and Cream Macaron from Jolly Holiday, Halloween Grey Stuff from Red Rose Tavern, Cookies and Candy Sundae from Clarabelle's, Vampire Mickey Sourdough bread from Boudin Bakery, Cozy Cone Macaron with Peanut Butter and Pretzels, and Loaded Gravy Fires at Flos. I can't wait for reviews on the halloween items start to come in.
That sounds delicious! Do you watch Disney foodie Youtubers? My husband and I are obsessed with it, and we hope that Ordinary Adventures or Magic Journeys review some of the new Halloween food before our upcoming trip. :)

That sounds delicious! Do you watch Disney foodie Youtubers? My husband and I are obsessed with it, and we hope that Ordinary Adventures or Magic Journeys review some of the new Halloween food before our upcoming trip. :)
I do watch youtubers. :) Magic Journeys, Ordinary Adventures, Freshbaked, and a few others as they pop up or I search for specific things. I really like Magical Journeys for food because they are so prolific but almost have started to feel like they just sugar coat everything . . . not everything can be wonderful can it?? I've kind of gorged myself on youtube on the run up to this trip. I'm so ready to just go experience it now. There are other things on the regular menus that I want to try as well. I do like watching the videos of the Dis people at Disneyland because I feel like they really don't pull punches on how good something is or if it's worth the money.

I do watch youtubers. :) Magic Journeys, Ordinary Adventures, Freshbaked, and a few others as they pop up or I search for specific things. I really like Magical Journeys for food because they are so prolific but almost have started to feel like they just sugar coat everything . . . not everything can be wonderful can it?? I've kind of gorged myself on youtube on the run up to this trip. I'm so ready to just go experience it now. There are other things on the regular menus that I want to try as well. I do like watching the videos of the Dis people at Disneyland because I feel like they really don't pull punches on how good something is or if it's worth the money.
That makes two of us who have gorged on YouTube videos recently, haha! Will you watch content about OBB before your trip? I think the first party is on Thursday 9/9. Our OBB tickets are for Tuesday 9/14 (I think the same day as you?), and my husband wants to avoid watching that content beforehand. Everyone is covering Halloween food right now but they seem to lean more heavily towards DL food as opposed to DCA- we need even coverage, darn it!

Yeah, I agree about Jannell and MigVee/Miguel from Magic Journey's. They love a lot of the food. You know what, I'm dying to know what they do for their normal day jobs. I'm so curious and want to know more about certain YouTubers, hah.

That makes two of us who have gorged on YouTube videos recently, haha! Will you watch content about OBB before your trip? I think the first party is on Thursday 9/9. Our OBB tickets are for Tuesday 9/14 (I think the same day as you?), and my husband wants to avoid watching that content beforehand. Everyone is covering Halloween food right now but they seem to lean more heavily towards DL food as opposed to DCA- we need even coverage, darn it!

I will be checking out OBB videos before I go. :flower:I'm specifically interested about the treat trails and if they are less busy later in the evening, what the wait times will be like, what the crowds will be like, if there is less people for the second parade and how long we need to set aside for the Villains Grove. Villains
Grove is probably my number one priority and then the treat trails. I wonder if we will start seeing more reviews for the DCA food when the parties start getting reported? I did see a review for the halloween grey stuff at Red Rose Tavern and I think I might skip that after all. I was hoping that it would just be a pile of the grey stuff but it still has the cake inside it and we didn't really care for that part of the treat when we originally tried it. I just want the grey stuff! You go to the party before me so hopefully you'll post how it was. :smickey: Our party night is the 21st so there will probably be more reporting than when you go. You're so close!

Almost There!
Princess Tiana Almost There GIFs | Tenor

4 days--I cannot wait! I'm at that point where there isn't really anything left to do, just waiting and picking up crumbs of info until tomorrow night's first Oogie Boogie Bash. I did see that info about the Halloween food dropped, and now I'm just worried about stomach space!! We want to try so many things:

• Blood Orange Slush – Blood orange slush with a swirl of raspberry sauce and a glow cube
  • Chocolate & Red Velvet Parfait – Layers of red velvet cake, ganache, cookies, dark chocolate mousse, and chocolate cake topped with chocolate flakes, a chocolate Darth Vader helmet, and a mini chocolate lightsaber
  • Loaded Onion Rings – Onion rings topped with a creamy cheese sauce, crispy bacon, and green onions
  • Dark & White Chocolate Mousse Brownie – Chocolate brownie with black and white chocolate mousse
  • Cookie & Cream Macaron – Mummy mickey macaron shell with a cookies and cream filling
  • Mickey-shaped Strawberry Chocolate Beignets topped with strawberry-chocolate powdered sugar (3 and 6 Packs)
  • Halloween Grey Stuff – Traditional Grey Stuff with tombstone cookie and holiday sprinkles
  • Maleficent Churro - Chocolate Cookie Churro – Churro covered with chocolate cookie crumbles blended with colored sugar
  • Halloween Alien Macaron filled with blackberry buttercream and lemon curd
  • Chocolate-Praline Mousse Cake – Decadent praline mousse, dark chocolate brownie, vanilla creme anglaise, and ganache
  • Pumpkin Spice Monkey Bread
  • Spicy Corn Dog – Spicy beef frank hand-dipped and fried, drizzled with cheese sauce and crushed spicy chips served with fries
  • Halloween Candy Funnel Cake Fries – Dusted in crushed chocolate cream-filled cookies with cream cheese sauce, cookie pieces, gummy candies, chocolate-coated candies, and whipped cream
  • Loaded Buffalo Chicken Fries – Steak fries topped with cheddar cheese, chicken tenders tossed in buffalo sauce, and celery bits drizzled with ranch (available at Oogie Boogie Bash)
  • Loaded Chili Fries – Steak fries topped with cheddar cheese, Walt’s Chili, diced onions, and sour cream (available at Oogie Boogie Bash)
  • Chocolate Chip Shake topped with whipped cream and a chocolate cookie stick
  • Chocolate-Marshmallow Churro – Classic churro rolled in crushed chocolate cookies and “mummified” in marshmallow icing “bandages”
  • Spicy Mac & Cheese Cone – Pasta with spicy red pepper-cheese sauce topped with crushed chile-cheese puffs served in a bread cone
  • Oogie Boogie Macaron – Black macaron filled with green apple buttercream, caramel, brownies, cookie crumb dust, and gummy candy
  • Orange Cream Fanta-sy – Fanta Orange infused with vanilla topped with whipped cream and black sprinkles
  • Ghost Pepper Nachos – House-made green tortilla chips, ghost pepper cheese sauce, ghost pepper-marinated steak, refried black beans, tomatillo avocado salsa, tomato, and cilantro
  • Green Apple Lemonade with sour green apple syrup, cherry pearls, and raspberry sauce
  • Jalapeño Bacon Cheeseburger – Angus beef patty, pickled jalapeños, bacon, pepper jack, beer-battered onion rings, jalapeño popper, jalapeño chips, and chipotle mayo
  • Ghost Pepper Potato Bites – Potato bites, ghost pepper cheese sauce, smoky bacon, and pickled jalapeños
  • Caramel Apple Churro – Churro rolled in green apple flavored sugar topped with a caramel drizzle
  • Chocolate-Marshmallow Churro – Classic churro rolled in crushed chocolate cookies and “mummified” in marshmallow icing “bandages”
  • Mummy Macarons with cookies and cream buttercream (available Sept. 9-Oct. 31)
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Shot Glass with Milk
I told you it was a lot! I'm curious if there will be additional Oogie Boogie Bash exclusive treats. I'm also curious if the Ghost Pepper Nachos will be available at the regular Lamplight Lounge, or only at the Boardwalk dining...guess we'll find out! I don't know how much of these treats we'll end up eating, but at least we have ideas so no dithering or wasting time while we're there :)

Also, I got an interesting phone call the other night from our hotel. We'd booked a king bed and they were calling to offer us a "complimentary upgrade", since we are "elite" Marriott members and are staying for 7 nights. Now, that sounds to me like they don't have very many king beds and don't want to tie one of them up for 7 nights, but whatever. :D They upgraded us to a "themed room", with a view of the fireworks from the top floor. So that's nice! We probably won't be in our room for any of the fireworks, but at least a high floor should be pretty quiet. Though the more I think about it, I probably should have asked to stick with the king bed so the room would feel bigger (rather than having two queen beds, we'd have a king and a sofa), or gone whole hog and asked for an upgrade to a suite! Oh well. :D I shouldn't complain about a free upgrade. Though fun fact, their "themed rooms" have pictures of the castle from WDW and the Ear-fel Tower that no longer exists in Hollywood Studios. So that's kind of funny.
Fairfield-Inn-Marriott-Anaheim-Resort-Disneyland%2B%252821%2529.jpg

(pic of said theme room)

ALSO TRAGEDY: Tarzan's Treehouse is behind scrim. Guys, I'm really bummed, and I hope it is open at least one day while we're there, because I've never been able to go through it and I LOVE Tarzan. So, backstory: I've been to Disneyland three times -- once when I was like 6, once when I was about 12, and then once when I was 16. Tarzan wasn't a thing until the trip when I was 16, and at that point I was going with a church group, so we were in a group of 4 teenage girls, and we had to stay together. I really wanted to walk through Tarzan's Treehouse, but the other girls in my group were unwilling to go through it with me, so I didn't get to go. (*sad trombone*) I'm still a bit bummed about that -- it would have taken what, 5 minutes? Lamesauce. And at WDW I love going through the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, so when we planned this trip to DL, not gonna lie, I was very excited about walking through Tarzan's Treehouse. So when I saw that it's down for an unscheduled refurb....
Megara images on Favim.com

Hopefully it's back open for at least a day while we're there!

But yea, that's where I am. CANNOT WAIT! OOGIE BOOGIE BASH HERE WE COME!!

OMG, you're in the final countdown! Your treat wish list is ginormous, and I love it, hah! At least you'll have plenty of days at the park which gives you a better change to work through that list.

Also, I must apologize for inadvertently hijacking your thread. I thought that I was corresponding with you (the OP) earlier, but I just realized that I was wrong. Ack!

You're so lucky, it's almost time! I'll cross my fingers that Tarzan opens back up for you. That is pretty lame the other girls wouldn't do it with you. Bah Humbugs.
so many of the things you want to try is what we do as well. Can't wait!

Hi everyone! I'm so bad, I didn't do any updates or anything while I was there! But I'm definitely planning to do a trip report, and I'll definitely link it here once I start it. I'm sorting through all my pictures and everything right now (I took sooooooooooo many). In the meantime, here's a couple preview photos!

BY8YxoD.jpg
SHdJMK1.jpg

IMdklFy.jpg
lX5QGS3.jpg

OMG, you're in the final countdown! Your treat wish list is ginormous, and I love it, hah! At least you'll have plenty of days at the park which gives you a better change to work through that list.

Also, I must apologize for inadvertently hijacking your thread. I thought that I was corresponding with you (the OP) earlier, but I just realized that I was wrong. Ack!
I totally thought I'd responded to this, but apparently my brain is mush! No need to apologize -- I don't mind at all the back and forth! And yes...the treat list was ginormous, but we got through a good amount of it! :)

You're so lucky, it's almost time! I'll cross my fingers that Tarzan opens back up for you. That is pretty lame the other girls wouldn't do it with you. Bah Humbugs.
so many of the things you want to try is what we do as well. Can't wait!
I hope you had a wonderful trip and got to try all (or most :) ) of the things you wanted to try!!

I hope you're having a great time! Enjoy the OBB tonight!
Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!