PTR Oct 2010 - An Aussie returns: Back home and TR started (11/02)

PrincessInOz

Thanks for my avatar, Mary Jo!
Welcome to my 'might not' return journey PTR to WDW.

I live in Melbourne Australia and it takes me about 26 hours of flying to get to Orlando. So, a trek out to WDW is something that takes a bit of planning before we can put it into action.

So, why is this a 'might not' return journey? I've just completed my May 2010 PTR and am still in the process of writing my TR for the trip. This May trip was a family trip which included DH, DS, myself and my extended family.

We had just returned home and within 24 hours of our return, DH was advised by his work to consider attending a 3 day conference at Coronado Springs Resort in late October 2010. After mulling it over for a week, he decided that it will be worth his while to attend.

DH will probably have to fly straight from Melbourne to Orlando (probably 26 hours), attend the conference for 3 days and then fly straight back to Melbourne (another 26 hours).

I must admit that the thought of all that flying for 3 days is something that I'm not keen on doing.

I'm not likely to make a decision either way until all the flights and hotel details are sorted out for DH...which will take us into July, possibly August. I also don't know if he'll be asked to make a detour stop in San Francisco; but in the meantime I will keep an eye out for flight deals - just in case.

I guess introductions are in order. This is me...recently taken on a Disney bus.

USA2010Holiday264.jpg

I hope you'll stick around to find out if I do indeed make it back to the World in October 2010...because I really don't know if I'm going or not (yet). But I must admit that I'm really hoping to go, and have started this PTR - just in case.

To Ticker or not to Ticker - that is the question?
Step 1: Create a Vacation Ticker
Step 2: Plan your trip around the special events (F&W, MNSSHP)
One step back, two steps forward
Step 3: 'Keeping up' with the Dis-ers going in October
Step 4: Planning for maximum snack coverage around the World
Step 5: 'Firming up' arrangements
Step 6: The Fine Art of ADRs
Full stream ahead - Official thread name change!
Step 7: Perfect Planning Prevents P*** (self edited) Poor Performance
Holiday Leave Approved! And a quirk of Melbourne life equals a conundrum
My (NOT) Blissful Bites List
Step 8: Bagging a bargain is a shoe-in
Step 9: Wardrobe (not mal-) functions or What to wear? What to wear?
DS Alert! Must visit Japan...
The (not) ADRs...thanks to Disney Firefly!
12 weeks to go....and the practicalities have to hit sometime!
Step 10. Shoots and Shots
Chute and Shots
Flying United or United?
My NOT plans for a trip that has NOT been confirmed...yet
NOT another change in Plans post
Views vs Replies - Straw Poll
More Shots!
The mistake of NOT buying at WDW
I'm NOT not going back to WDW - Name change
OT - A dinner you would NOT have every day
It's officially definitely a NOT NOT going back to WDW PTR now!
Step 11. My NOT Illustrated Itinerary
It does NOT seem crazy to spend more...
I'm NOT using NOT in this post....
What NOT to shoot
I'm NOT taking over....just giving DH a helpin' hand
I can NOT believe that I'm nearly ready for this trip
A post NOT for the boys
I am NOT going to WDW in Jan/Feb 2011
Step 12 - My NOT Top 10 WDW Rides
I have NOT talked about DTD.....yet
NOT my final Itinerary
Revisiting my NOT Top 10 WDW Rides
OT - My NOT so different hair cut
This is so NOT happening!
I'm still so NOT ready for my NOT NOT trip
Flying out today

princess::upsidedow

My first question though is how on EARTH do you get to go to a conference at Disney!!! No fair :no:

I reckon it is a tough call....but...depending on the costs of flights...I would actually go.
Of course I'm not likely to be in the US again until Dec 2011 :( which is why I'd take any opportunity to go if the date has '10 in it :rotfl:
...but even so I would be sooo tempted.
Those flights are a killer...but WDW....just picture yourself riding your favourite ride! Plus it will be Halloween...would that be a new experience for you??? I know everyone raves about it.

At least going through SFO is a much better prospect than LAX. SFO is a much nicer airport to transit through.
Do you have to go via Syd as well?

I'd be interested to hear about 'updates' in the 'will I or won't I' process....

I really don't sleep well on long-haul flights so, if I was only going for 3 days, I'd really only just have caught up on my sleep by the time it came to go home again :rotfl2:

My first question though is how on EARTH do you get to go to a conference at Disney!!! No fair :no:

I'm not going to a conference; DH is. So, I don't know either :confused3
I reckon it is a tough call....but...depending on the costs of flights...I would actually go.

I priced the latest Qantas deals last week. Return Flights to Orlando were coming out around $1300 - $1500. :rolleyes: But I'm still NOT going; so who knows what flights will cost in August!!

Of course I'm not likely to be in the US again until Dec 2011 :( which is why I'd take any opportunity to go if the date has '10 in it :rotfl:
...but even so I would be sooo tempted.

Those flights are a killer...but WDW....just picture yourself riding your favourite ride! Plus it will be Halloween...would that be a new experience for you??? I know everyone raves about it.

I've been in San Francisoc around Halloween; but haven't been at DLR or WDW for Halloween. Plus the F&W festival would still be on....it's a compelling argument FOR going :rolleyes1

At least going through SFO is a much better prospect than LAX. SFO is a much nicer airport to transit through.

Yes. We avoid LAX whenever possible.

Do you have to go via Syd as well?

Yes, more than likely if we transit through SFO.

I'd be interested to hear about 'updates' in the 'will I or won't I' process....

Responses above.

I really don't sleep well on long-haul flights so, if I was only going for 3 days, I'd really only just have caught up on my sleep by the time it came to go home again :rotfl2:

It's a point for NOT going...

For my 'might not' return journey, I've been debating whether I should go get a new ticker or not.

To Ticker or Not to Ticker - that is the question? If you're out there and reading this, I'd love your opinion....

princess::upsidedow

I can't blame you for feeling that way about the long flight, I've done the flight from Michigan to Australia once. Felt like a zombie for a few days only to flight right back again. I wouldn't do it again unless I could stay for a week at least. But in your case, since its to WDW I'd probably do it...:surfweb:

I can't blame you for feeling that way about the long flight, I've done the flight from Michigan to Australia once. Felt like a zombie for a few days only to flight right back again. I wouldn't do it again unless I could stay for a week at least. But in your case, since its to WDW I'd probably do it...:surfweb:

I'm trying to see if I can scam a couple more days....at San Francisco. :rotfl2: I'm trying to get DH to see if his manager in San Francisco might want him to go there for work/meetings on the Thursday and Friday after the conference. We would then fly out on Friday night and be home on Sunday (8 days in total). If this scam works, WORLD here I come!! :thumbsup2

ooooo..nice :thumbsup2 Hope the scam works.

As for ticker...my current ticker has no flights or accommodation booked.....
Nor an actual schedule.
I'm still watching airfares to see if I can get there in one piece (aka not on Air China) for a good price including a Singapore or HK (where I think there is a disney park maybe ;) ) stopover.

But it helps me keep track of how long it is until the time...so I know how 'likely' more deals will come out before time is up.

So I reckon give it a ticker :yay:

I think you should do a ticker :goodvibes
Hope you are able to make it.....and I do remember you saying you wanted a cookbook...what if there are different choices now? You should be able to look at them all ;)
F&W is such a great time of year....I really think it is my favorite....love all of the extra countries and offerings :goodvibes
Love the scam idea...that would certainly take some of the sting out of flying ::yes::

Tracy

ooooo..nice :thumbsup2 Hope the scam works.

As for ticker...my current ticker has no flights or accommodation booked.....
Nor an actual schedule.
I'm still watching airfares to see if I can get there in one piece (aka not on Air China) for a good price including a Singapore or HK (where I think there is a disney park maybe ;) ) stopover.

But it helps me keep track of how long it is until the time...so I know how 'likely' more deals will come out before time is up.

So I reckon give it a ticker :yay:

And here I was all this time enviously thinking about you heading off to Expo and DLHK. Yes, I think a "might not return" ticker might be the go.

I think you should do a ticker :goodvibes
Hope you are able to make it.....and I do remember you saying you wanted a cookbook...what if there are different choices now? You should be able to look at them all ;)
F&W is such a great time of year....I really think it is my favorite....love all of the extra countries and offerings :goodvibes
Love the scam idea...that would certainly take some of the sting out of flying ::yes::

Tracy

There are different choices of cookbooks - which is why I didn't come home with one already. I couldn't make up my mind :rotfl:.

I'm going to have to allocate some time this weekend to work on my "still not going" plans and decide what I want to eat and where. I did a quick google and there's nothing up yet about the 2010 program...

What are your plans for the week? We could potentially "not DisMeet" over lunch or "not walk around" trying out the food offerings...

Still don't know if the scam will work :rolleyes1.

The conference dates are as follows:

Sun Oct 24 - Registration.
Mon Oct 25 - 1st day Conference
Tue Oct 26 - 2nd day Conference. Conference dinner scheduled for this night.
Wed Oct 27 - 3rd day Conference and check out.

Breakfast and lunch is included for conference attendees; and I understand that there is an additional charge for the conference dinner.

DH is planning on flying out of Australia on Sat Oct 23 straight through to Orlando. On his journey, he would cross the International Date Line and gain a day. So, he would be checking in late on Sat Oct 23.

At this stage, he is planning on flying out on Wed Oct 27 and heading straight home. He would cross the International Date Line and lose a day, which means that he would arrive home on Fri Oct 29.

So....if I tagged along, we would have some time together on Sunday and I'd be flying solo for Monday, Tuesday and possibly some time on Wednesday.

We have a 9 yo Disney mad Son, who knows that his dad is heading back in October. We haven't yet told him that I'm not thinking about tagging along...anyone else get the feeling like we're on the Titanic?

[Up next - planning my 'might not' return trip and how and when are we going to break the news to DS?]

Notice anything new?

The first step to every good WDW plan is to create a Ticker. So, I decided that even though I'm still "might not" be going to WDW in October for the Food and Wine Festival and MNSSHP, it was time to create a new ticker.

I checked out the DisBoard tickers and there is nothing online that celebrates food or Halloween. So, I got my ticker from the My Vacation Countdown website.

My new ticker lacks that bit of COLOUR that I would normally go for; but I think it suits my 'might not' be going thread at the moment.

Hope you like it! ;)

My "not going" trip coincides with, not 1; but, 2 special events at WDW. The two events are the annual Food and Wine festival at Epcot and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

With the planned arrival for the conference being Saturday 23 October, we would have the option of attending MNSSHP on Sunday 24/10 or Tuesday 26/10. The thing is that the Conference Dinner is scheduled for Tuesday night. So, if I were going, I would have to make a choice between:
  • Going to MNSSHP with DH on the 24th and spending Tuesday night solo; or
  • Spending time with DH on the 24th and attending MHSSHP on Tuesday solo.

I've also just started to keep an eye on the F&W festival and will spend some time :surfweb: catching up on the posts in the Official DisBoard thread (posted as a sticky on the PTR subforum). From what I can gather, it would appear that the official schedule may come out soon (or early July) and bookings are rumoured to open on the 20th July.

Depending on the events, do I book myself in or do I just "wing it"? What am I saying?? I need to work out if I'm going first....but then if I don't book, I may miss out! I wonder if prepayment is required??

I'm here! I hope you're able to go, since that would be awesome :) I think it'd be fun if you and DH went to the party together. If you guys are into costumes, you could do a couples one :teeth:

I'm here! I hope you're able to go, since that would be awesome :) I think it'd be fun if you and DH went to the party together. If you guys are into costumes, you could do a couples one :teeth:

Hi Firefly! How are you doing? I've been following your PTR; now that you aren't stopping by the Land of LTP so much..:rolleyes1

Welcome to my "might not be going" PTR. I'm seriously amused at how many legs this PTR can grow even if I'm still not going at this stage. :rotfl2:

I don't know if DH would want to go to MNSHHP; it's just not his thing (the candy is....but not the rest of it popcorn::).

Anyway, we'll just have to see. Now, if the F&W schedule comes out and there is a killer event that I want to attend...well, that could sway my decision a little bit!

Hi Firefly! How are you doing? I've been following your PTR; now that you aren't stopping by the Land of LTP so much..:rolleyes1

Welcome to my "might not be going" PTR. I'm seriously amused at how many legs this PTR can grow even if I'm still not going at this stage. :rotfl2:

I don't know if DH would want to go to MNSHHP; it's just not his thing (the candy is....but not the rest of it popcorn::).

Anyway, we'll just have to see. Now, if the F&W schedule comes out and there is a killer event that I want to attend...well, that could sway my decision a little bit!

I try to stop by, but I forget sometimes :rotfl: :)

Hey, my PTR's taken on a lot of changes :) It happens :teeth: I love Halloween, and MNSSHP is actually my favorite of the parties and has my favorite of any of Disney's parades. popcorn::

I've never actually been to Epcot during the F&W festival. The last time I was down for a program, I barely went to Epcot. :confused3 I've heard it's a fantastic thing, though, and I want to go at some point. Maybe we can fit it in next year on our MNSSHP trip :)

I try to stop by, but I forget sometimes :rotfl: :)

Hey, my PTR's taken on a lot of changes :) It happens :teeth: I love Halloween, and MNSSHP is actually my favorite of the parties and has my favorite of any of Disney's parades. popcorn::

I've never actually been to Epcot during the F&W festival. The last time I was down for a program, I barely went to Epcot. :confused3 I've heard it's a fantastic thing, though, and I want to go at some point. Maybe we can fit it in next year on our MNSSHP trip :)

We seem to be stalking each other tonight :sad2:.

It would be great if you could fit in both for your trip next year! But surely you went to F&W when you were working as a CM???

We seem to be stalking each other tonight :sad2:.

It would be great if you could fit in both for your trip next year! But surely you went to F&W when you were working as a CM???

:lmao: It happens :teeth:

We may have to extend the trip a day or two, because we both love food, so I think that as long as it fits in with a party date, well have to hit it up :) I actually never made it to F&W when I was a CM. I was broke at the time during my second time down there, since my hours had gotten severely cut and I was just trying to make the rent. The other time I was there around the F&W festival, I didn't go, but I don't remember why, it was six years ago :lmao:

Like your new ticker ;)
I am thinking of going to MNSSHP on Tuesday the 26th. My friend from DC is going to meet me for most of the days too....she hasn't been in forever and has not had a professional guide either :rotfl2:
I plan on spending a lot of time in Epcot....so we should plan to not meet and not walk around eating/drinking any of the many wonderful selections :goodvibes Last year was the first F&W I went to and now I know more of what to expect....being lots of good food and wine :rotfl2:

Tracy

Like your new ticker ;)
I am thinking of going to MNSSHP on Tuesday the 26th. My friend from DC is going to meet me for most of the days too....she hasn't been in forever and has not had a professional guide either :rotfl2:
I plan on spending a lot of time in Epcot....so we should plan to not meet and not walk around eating/drinking any of the many wonderful selections :goodvibes Last year was the first F&W I went to and now I know more of what to expect....being lots of good food and wine :rotfl2:

Tracy

Tracy - I like your ticker too. You'll be celebrating your birthday there....I'll have to not go shopping for an Australiana birthday present :)

This sounds like a good 'not to meet' plan to me. What's your recommendation for "not" going to F&W? Do you book ADRs...do you do any of the special events...or do you just snack and imbibe your way round Epcot?

It sounds like Tuesday 26 might be a good night not to see MNSSHP...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter