PTR#2~ What am I going to do differently? Glad you asked!

awdsmama

DIS Veteran
TRIP REPORT STARTS HERE: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=51142938&postcount=28

Oh wait you didn't ask :lmao: But let me tell you!

Backstory: Trip#1 (as a parent) was 2yrs ago, it was a surprise trip for DS7. We had 3 full days and 1/2 travel days in the park. I had so many "want to do's" - especially where/things to eat. But, I ended up letting my son lead for the most part and a lot of that stuff went out the window. Especially since the budget-person in me brought snacks each day etc. It was also a road trip, which shortened our time in park.

So. Here's what we're doing differently this time.

FLYING! So glad about this. Got a great price on tickets. It will save so much time and let us maximize our vacation being in park not on the road to/from.

Staying 7 nights!
This will allow us to maximize 5 full days in the park.
Also it will allow us to do the WB studio tour, go to the beach and also go to Medieval Times - all without sacrificing park time.

Hotel
A request of my son last time was to stay CLOSER (stayed at HOJO last time and loved it, the walk was easy but you know kids....)
So we're staying at Tropicana this time. Can't get any closer than that!

Food.
Sure I'll bring SOMETHING. But this time, we're eating more in park for snacks. This time I WILL eat: dole whip, monte Christo at BB, potato at Troubadour Tavern (it was closed last time)

Experiences:
We are doing Fantasmic Dessert Package!
I will see Aladdin this time (son vetoed it last trip)
Matterhorn and BTMRR will be operating yayyyyyy!!!
(So sad Soarin, Space and Indy won't be, but hey theres plenty to do)

To be continued....

EDITED TO ADD TENTATIVE SCHEDULE....60DAYS TO GO!

Wednesday: Arrival Day!
Land in SNA, Karmel Shuttle to Tropicana.
Head to Downtown Disney after checking in! Do a little shopping, have lunch, head back to hotel to relax or hit the pool.
Dinner at Medieval Times! Doing the 6pm show so we can get to bed at a decent hour for Thursdays festivities.....

Thursday: First park day!!!
Use Magic Morning - hit FAntasyland first. Be at Toontown for opening and let DS ride GogoGadget multiple times, it's his favorite.
No real plan after that other than ending up at Blue Bayou for 11:30 lunch.
Head to DCA in afternoon so DS can ride his other favorite - Tower of Terror annnnnnd time to finally get to experience CARS LAND! If the FP are out, we'll do it Friday no biggie.

Friday:
Start at DCA today to get RSR FP. Will give wide right a try!
Big Thunder BBQ for late lunch/early dinner around 4p
Fantasmic Dessert Package!

Saturday:
Non-park day!
Renting a car and heading to the WB STudio in the morning for the VIP tour. So excited for this! Big Bang Theory is DSs favorite show and they film there. So by going on Saturday when shows aren't taping we have the best chance to see the set!!!
Then head to a beach in afternoon. Still not sure which one. Huntington, Newport, Santa Monica (pier!) cannot decide ugh. HELP!!

Sunday:
Start at DLR.
Discover the Magic tour at 10am. Looking forward to walking on Pirates, Buzz and Jungle Cruise today with this tour since it's probably going to be busy!!

Nothing else scheduled for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday! Just go with the flow.

Leave for airport Wednesday around 11am.....

My son wanted to invite my parents to go with us this trip, they are very close I love their bond. But unfortunately my dad bought a few too many toys this year so they won't be making the trek with us. Although that is a bummer - since I now know this I can finally start planning, plugging in what we'll do on what day etc. FUN!!!!

Hurry up January 19th so I can start to make our reservations!

This is when it really starts to get exciting.....tomorrow is the 60day mark for dining reservations!!

For our first park day I'm only making 1 reservation but it's the one I'm looking forward to the most since I missed it last time: 1st lunch seating at Blue Bayou! Monte Cristo, beignets, mint juleps OH MY!!

I hate to burst your bubble, but dining reservations can only be made 60 days out (not 90). Also, DCA has early entry for onsite hotel guests on Friday so wide right would not work that day. Just head for RSR FP. If you want to try wide right, it would work on a day when onsite guests don't have EE (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday).

I hope you have a magical trip!

I hate to burst your bubble, but dining reservations can only be made 60 days out (not 90). Also, DCA has early entry for onsite hotel guests on Friday so wide right would not work that day. Just head for RSR FP. If you want to try wide right, it would work on a day when onsite guests don't have EE (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday).

I hope you have a magical trip!

My mistake - I meant 60! I will correct that, thank you.

Thank you for the clarification on WR!

I can feel your planning excitement in this PTR and it is so fun! I can relate. I think our Spring Break trip might have similar timing as yours (March 11 -18) but we're headed for Disney fun on the east coast. Last year we did So Cal and LOVED every minute of it. You'll have a great time! Have you looked at the CityPass website to see if it works with your plans? Enjoy!

I can feel your planning excitement in this PTR and it is so fun! I can relate. I think our Spring Break trip might have similar timing as yours (March 11 -18) but we're headed for Disney fun on the east coast. Last year we did So Cal and LOVED every minute of it. You'll have a great time! Have you looked at the CityPass website to see if it works with your plans? Enjoy!

We're going the 19-26 :-)

CityPass won't work for this trip, out of the places it covers only Disneyland is on our list. I may get the Go Los Angeles card though, still finalizing plans to see if it will save any money or not!

This is when it really starts to get exciting.....tomorrow is the 60day mark for dining reservations!!

For our first park day I'm only making 1 reservation but it's the one I'm looking forward to the most since I missed it last time: 1st lunch seating at Blue Bayou! Monte Cristo, beignets, mint juleps OH MY!!

They don't have beignets at BB only at the mint Julup bar and dtd

I know it can still change, but the recent changes to the refurb list have me doing the happy dance:banana:

Space and Soarin will now be up during our trip!!! I was so bummed about Soarin, I love that one. We didn't do Space last time so that will be fun too.

Now, if they push the Indy refurb back 3 more days so we can do it on our first day, it would be perfect!

Eeeeeeks!

30days! In 30days we will be checking into our hotel, enjoying the pool, meeting up with a LA local friend Fort lunch and going to Medieval Times for dinner!

2 more days and I can book our Fantasmic dessert package!

Momentary bummer. Couldn't book Fantasmic Dessert Package today. Today IS the 30 day mark but the reservation line said it's the identical date the month prior, not 30 days. So I have to wait until Feb 21 to reserve for Mar 21.

Boo.

Decided since I couldn't make dining reservations, there had to be SOMETHING I could book/reserve/pay for today.

So I bought my Photo Pass Plus package, yay!!! :banana:

Wahoo! Ordered the park tickets today. I had originally planned on buying them at my local AAA office, because they would have been $550 instead of $579 thru Disney directly (I've never used a 3rd party like Way.com etc, just nervous about it).

But instead, after reading many good reviews and experiences, I decided to buy them from Orbitz using the Ebates link/20% cash back discount. The tickets are the 4 day with a free 5th day so they are the same price as buying thru AAA would have been. Bonus that hopefully if all goes well in May I'll receive a cash back rebate of $110!

Just booked our dinner on arrival night at Medieval Times!

SHould be a fun way to start off the vacation :-)

I chose the 6pm slot instead of the later one so we wouldn't be up terribly late....afteralll the following morning we are using our magic morning entrance!!!

Wahoo wahoo, got the Fantasmic Dessert Package booked for the 9pm showing on Friday. So we'll have a few more days after to enjoy the desserts we don't finish right away! :thumbsup2

Tickets for the Discover the Magic Tour have been purchased!

All that is left is the airport shuttle an the WB Tour tickets.

I've made the last reservation! Booked our WB VIP Studio tour tickets!

Feels so surreal. I have nothing left to do, except figure out what to pack. Oh and make it thru finals 2 days before we leave, lol.

Oh, still waiting for Passport Plus to arrive.

19 days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter