Prostate cancer

katie01

DIS Veteran
My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer recently, and will be having the DaVinci surgery for prostate removal very soon. Apparently he has the type that tends to be less aggressive (Gleason 6), but even with the robotic surgery the surgeon told him the rate of permanent side effects from surgery alone are pretty high. My mom will be taking care of him at home once he is out of the hospital, I will help any way I can with providing meals, running errands, and that kind of thing. It's obviously different for everyone, but can anyone give me a general idea of how tough a recovery this is and what else I can do to help? Words of hope for a full cure? My dad is in his mid 70s. They've both had a rough year with lots of medical problems but my dad is in great shape for his age other than that.

All things considered, prostate cancer is considered one of the better (not that there is such a thing) cancers to get. My father had it as well and I recall that the recovery was not too bad overall. Helping out like you're planning doing is probably the best thing you can do - make your mom's job easier when she's helping your dad. Good luck to your father. :)

My dad (also in his 70's) had prostate cancer 1.5 years ago. He did proton radiation therapy because it has less permanent side effects. Be warned, they are probably going to make your dad take testosterone lowering medication for a few years after, and that can wreak havoc with his moods. It's almost like my dad is going through menopause. He will also be very tired for a while. But it's highly curable so keep your spirits up.

My dad (also in his 70's) had prostate cancer 1.5 years ago. He did proton radiation therapy because it has less permanent side effects. Be warned, they are probably going to make your dad take testosterone lowering medication for a few years after, and that can wreak havoc with his moods. It's almost like my dad is going through menopause. He will also be very tired for a while. But it's highly curable so keep your spirits up.

That is good to know, my mom hadn't said anything about medication afterwards, and she's been pretty open about everything. I'll have to mention that

Good luck to your father. Hope the treatments go well. If interested in reading material on prostate cancer, I enjoyed reading Dr. Richard Ablin's book. He is the discoverer of the PSA used as a cancer screening test. Dr. Ablin gives his view of the test, along with what to typically expect after surgery.

My parents tonight are having dinner with a friend that had a recent prostate cancer scare. He was told he was in dire straights with the original doctor he was seeing and being treated by. It was felt he wasn't going to be with us much longer. Then he saw another doctor and found out he was doing just fine. The prostate cancer was not a health threatening issue. It was quite a dramatic change.

I see the family friend out walking all the time now with his new dog. He's typically in good spirits, joking around.

My grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer in his early 70s. He had surgery and was in remission until he was 85, when the cancer came back as bone cancer which is very common for prostate cancer recurrences. Due to his age, he opted not to receive treatment. But for almost 15 years, he lived a full healthy life with no side effects or bumps in the road, and even traveled the country in an RV! Best wishes and prayers for your dad.

Whoopee I had prostate cancer and robotic. First off 6 is about as low as you can get so his chances of recovery are 100%. Just my 2 cents, I would just get the thing removed now and get it over with because if you don't everyone around you gets upset. You can wait but why, and if you do they will want you on drugs as mentioned? I really do not recommend radiation, a lot of people do it, but there are issues. The most important factor is finding the best surgeon in your area, this is not a time to go with a rookie. Its all about the skill of the surgeon, check carefully. Its a very detailed type surgery. If you live where there are no good ones probably the best place is the City of Hope in California
Time line is this
24 hours in the hospital, you get 4 small openings to stich up about the size of a penny
7 days with catheter
Urinary function took about 3 weeks for 90% and about a year for 100%, in the beginning you pee everytime you sneeze
The other function takes longer, I would say about 2 years.
Its really not that bad, things could be a lot worse.

Some people do come in with much higher numbers, that is a different story

Whoopee I had prostate cancer and robotic. First off 6 is about as low as you can get so his chances of recovery are 100%. Just my 2 cents, I would just get the thing removed now and get it over with because if you don't everyone around you gets upset. You can wait but why, and if you do they will want you on drugs as mentioned? I really do not recommend radiation, a lot of people do it, but there are issues. The most important factor is finding the best surgeon in your area, this is not a time to go with a rookie. Its all about the skill of the surgeon, check carefully. Its a very detailed type surgery. If you live where there are no good ones probably the best place is the City of Hope in California
Time line is this
24 hours in the hospital, you get 4 small openings to stich up about the size of a penny
7 days with catheter
Urinary function took about 3 weeks for 90% and about a year for 100%, in the beginning you pee everytime you sneeze
The other function takes longer, I would say about 2 years.
Its really not that bad, things could be a lot worse.

Some people do come in with much higher numbers, that is a different story

We'd heard that before too about finding a good doctor. My dad's surgeon is at Northwestern and is supposed to be very good. I didn't realize urinary function could still return after some time, the surgeon told them 30% of people will have to wear Depends, we thought that meant permanently. That was tough on his morale to hear

Why are they removing the prostate than on doing radiation treatment?

They gave him a choice and he chose surgery. From what I understood, my parents said that if you do radiation first, and the cancer returns, you cannot then have surgery later on...that you have to do radiation again. Whereas if you do surgery first, and the cancer returns, you could do radiation if it comes back. Someone can correct me if I am giving inaccurate info, I heard it second hand from them

We'd heard that before too about finding a good doctor. My dad's surgeon is at Northwestern and is supposed to be very good. I didn't realize urinary function could still return after some time, the surgeon told them 30% of people will have to wear Depends, we thought that meant permanently. That was tough on his morale to hear
I am sure a city like Chicago has excellent surgeons. The issue is men have 2 valves, you cut one out with prostate surgery you have to adjust to having one, like women have. It takes a while but now I have no issues at all. A lot of women need pads, see how it works. He might need a little one but its not that big of a deal. Its more just for drips when you laugh.

They gave him a choice and he chose surgery. From what I understood, my parents said that if you do radiation first, and the cancer returns, you cannot then have surgery later on...that you have to do radiation again. Whereas if you do surgery first, and the cancer returns, you could do radiation if it comes back. Someone can correct me if I am giving inaccurate info, I heard it second hand from them
Hmmm. Hadn't heard that one. My dad's doctor was from Northwestern as well and together they decided proton therapy was the best course of action. It wasn't typical radiation.

My grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer in his early 70s. He had surgery and was in remission until he was 85, when the cancer came back as bone cancer which is very common for prostate cancer recurrences. Due to his age, he opted not to receive treatment. But for almost 15 years, he lived a full healthy life with no side effects or bumps in the road, and even traveled the country in an RV! Best wishes and prayers for your dad.

My Dad has the same scenario. Prostate cancer and living quite happily for over 10 years after a couple radiation seed implants. He now has bone cancer that so far isn't causing any trouble. It's in his back. It's been two years since his bone cancer diagnosis-he's 88 and really doing great.

My Dad has the same scenario. Prostate cancer and living quite happily for over 10 years after a couple radiation seed implants. He now has bone cancer that so far isn't causing any trouble. It's in his back. It's been two years since his bone cancer diagnosis-he's 88 and really doing great.

Best wishes and good health to your dad as well

My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2006 at 44 years of age. He opted for Brachytherapy (radiation seeds). Almost 11 years later he's considered cancer free.

My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2006 at 44 years of age. He opted for Brachytherapy (radiation seeds). Almost 11 years later he's considered cancer free.

I'm very glad to hear that, prayers for continued good health to your husband

I am currently living with a Gleason 6. It has been recommended that we do a careful watch because being almost 70 myself, there is a very good chance that when I do pass, the prostate will have had nothing to do with it. It was discovered by accident really (long story) and hasn't changed in two years. There is a chance that I won't need any surgery and I also have absolutely no symptoms of it at all. However, from my research, if I get something done about it, there WILL be side affects and they will be permanent. So based on that, I see no reason to worry about it unless it spikes up rapidly, so it will remain. The only thing that it hinders at the moment is that I can no longer donate blood. My guess is that my blood is getting old and tired anyway.

My husband had prostate cancer with the surgery. Recovery was the worst for 7 days while the catheter was in. After that it was a gradual progression. Longboard explained it pretty good above. My husband had zero signs before the surgery but the doctor noticed his PSA went up a tad and sent him to the Urologist where it was found that he had a very aggressive cancer. No other treatment was recommended but they did offer. Being young was one of the reasons they recommended surgery. During surgery they found the prostate was fully engulfed with cancer. He is now cancer free for close to 3 years. They still check him every six months. Thankfully he opted for the surgery. The outcome would not have been the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter