Pros/cons of cell phone only and no land line in house

When I used to work with families of medically compromised infants, I was occasionally asked to intervene with the phone company to stop them from shutting off service due to unpaid bills. The telephone company told me that people without phone service but who still have a land line hooked up, CAN call 911. I, too, have trouble believing that!

drakethib said:
I use Vonage (14.99 plan) and both the wife and I have cell phones.

I had to switch to a different security system due to my system not being able to dial out on Vonage.

I am able to use my fax on Vonage with no problem at all.

Also, know that any cell phone regardless if is on a cellular service or not will work when you dial 911.

I too have Vonage and LOVE it. We are a family of 4 and we all have cell phones so figured even if Vonage didn't work great it wouldn't be a problem since I lowered my phone bill from $80.00 to $24.99. With Vonage we have Ulimited calling to the US, Mexico, Canada and Peurto Rico AND it works GREAT, sounds just like my land line.

If our cable goes out incoming calls are automatically switched to my husband's cell.......

LOVE Vonage,
M

paladin said:
Really? Everytime I look into cell phones, they always seem to be so expensive, much more than our land line. Do others find it to be cheaper?

If you were to swap a land line for a cell phone then not it is not cheaper. But it you already have cell phones it would be cheaper.

Something to remember, during a power outage the cell phone will not work (no power at the cell) but the landline still will. This is the reason I still have my landline.

Every situation is different. Cutting the land line wouldn't work for us. That would require at least 3 cell phones for our family. The monthly cost for that would be around $80 a month at a minumum. But the 2nd problem is bigger. That would be for 1,000 minutes/month. We burn through that like candy. So we would need a cell plan with a ton of shared minutes, driving the cost to around $120/month at least.

Right now we have Voip for about $30/month and one cell phone for $35/month. (Then I also have a cell phone paid for by employer) So we would double our phone costs going to cell phones exclusively.

It's so funny that this thread came back. After a year of just cell phones we bought Vonage today. I'm sick of not being able to get reception in my house on the cell phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter