Pros and Cons to early vs late dining

StephC1217 said:
Thanks Jahber- that really helped- well, at least it gave me a lot more to consider when making my decision. I am really going to have to weigh it out!

You're welcome. Bottom line: make it work for you and you will have fun!!!!

we are from our west and going on our first cruise in February. We are on the waitlist for early dining but after reading through this I think we will be happy with late dining, especially with the dine and play option!
Question for you cruise veterans: where are your kids' favorite places to get snacks/eat on the Magic when you have late dining and they want something to eat earlier?

we are from our west and going on our first cruise in February. We are on the waitlist for early dining but after reading through this I think we will be happy with late dining, especially with the dine and play option!
Question for you cruise veterans: where are your kids' favorite places to get snacks/eat on the Magic when you have late dining and they want something to eat earlier?

Well, all the quick serve locations are on the pool deck. Goofy's Galley (sandwiches, salads, ice cream); Pluto's Dog House (hot dogs, burgers, chicken strips [my particular favorite!!]); Pinocchio's Pizzeria. There's also room service. And the buffets are open most of the day (with closures between breakfast/lunch, and lunch/dinner offerings).

:cutie:

We just cruised on the Dream with early dining and I found it nerve wracking. The MDRs were noisy and crowded and generally I couldn't wait to get out. The food was good and our servers were excellent. It was difficult to understand them though with accents over the crowd noise.

I will try late dining next time in hopes that more families are gone - no offense to families (we have two kids). I would say it was my only disappointment of the trip that MDR dinners were so cattle car-like. Possibly the ship was at capacity,

Dawg91 said:
We just cruised on the Dream with early dining and I found it nerve wracking. The MDRs were noisy and crowded and generally I couldn't wait to get out. The food was good and our servers were excellent. It was difficult to understand them though with accents over the crowd noise.

I will try late dining next time in hopes that more families are gone - no offense to families (we have two kids). I would say it was my only disappointment of the trip that MDR dinners were so cattle car-like. Possibly the ship was at capacity,

Our first cruise, we had late dining and other than DS falling asleep every night, we enjoyed it as we were able to chat at our table of 11. Due to DS falling asleep each night, we choose early for our pc cruise in 2011. I'm sure it was because the cruise only had 1800 people and most were not families (less than 300 kids on boat) but the main dining rooms were not the least bit noisy and we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. Hoping we aren't disappointed with main dining on the Fantasy in March.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thanks for this thread! I was just sure we wanted main dining. But after reading this, I think I'll switch to 2nd. DD will be 9 by the time we sail and we already eat on the late side at home anyway.:thumbsup2

Prior to having kids, DH and I always did late dining for many of the same reasons that have been mentioned in this thread. Now that we are parents and going on our first cruise with our babies in May 2014, we choose early dining. We will be sailing with a 2 year old (two months short of 3yrs) and a 15 month old. I wouldn't dream of keeping them up for late dining. It really is about what works for your family. Honestly, my DH's least favorite part of cruising on Disney is the dining. He doesn't really like to make small talk. Me, I can talk to anyone! LOL :hyper: We really like the anytime/mytime dining featured on other cruise lines. We've done it on Carnival and Princess without any complaints. I guess I'm in the minority.

Honestly, my DH's least favorite part of cruising on Disney is the dining. He doesn't really like to make small talk. Me, I can talk to anyone! LOL :hyper: .

isn't that a guy thing? or at least a girl thing?

My family says I'm the same way, I'll talk to anyone. They'll tease me after I've had a brief conversation with someone asking me "so....where are they from, how's their day, how many kids do they have, etc"

However, when I'm QUIET, they think the world must've come to a stop...it's usually only because I'm sick. And then they are forced to make their own small talk with others and I'm not there to "save them", then they appreciate me once again.

Anyway, back on topic, we have late dining for our upcoming cruise. Have always done early in the past. DH won't like this as he prefers to eat by 6pm even at home, but that's because he's in bed by 9. I do not plan on being at bed by 9 on the cruise! I think I'm just going to keep the late and tell him we just couldn't get it changed! :rolleyes1

Former Alaska cruisers: input please! We have fond two prior cruises with late dining. Did shows before dinner. Kids would often nap during dinner or go to clubs. Had requested late dining but got main for upcoming Akaska cruise. Think TA thought I preferred early and will likely be able to switch. Will have a 10 y old, 8 and 7 y old. Interested in knowing what time excursions get back as we plan on being as active as possible in ports. If they push dinner back, how late does early start? We usually miss a meal or two anyway in mdr.

In my experience, no problem with the firework or pirate night. I really enjoyed late night dinning with my just turned 6 year old. There was one night we were all too tired but that was okay. I just don't like being rushed to dinner or through dinner, which is what happens, as I understand from speaking to fellow passengers at main dining. Plus, my child was in 2 shows before dinner as a participant. I doubt this would have happened with main dining...though, he thinks he as born on a stage :)

Former Alaska cruisers: input please! We have fond two prior cruises with late dining. Did shows before dinner. Kids would often nap during dinner or go to clubs. Had requested late dining but got main for upcoming Akaska cruise. Think TA thought I preferred early and will likely be able to switch. Will have a 10 y old, 8 and 7 y old. Interested in knowing what time excursions get back as we plan on being as active as possible in ports. If they push dinner back, how late does early start? We usually miss a meal or two anyway in mdr.

For our 2012 sailing dinner/shows were not pushed back. We had the 8:15 pm seating and we never missed any shows. We were usually pretty active in port too, as DCL has short port times it was never an issue.

We are from the West Coast though, and tend to eat late anyway. I think it depends on if you're adjusting to a certain time zone and what time your kids normally eat.

We fed DD a late afternoon snack after her nap usually around showtime to keep her happy.

meajuly5 said:

You should be able to switch to late with no issue. There is always a wait list for early seating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter