Pros and Cons of Your Gear

chudlyfudly

Mouseketeer
So here's something I thought might be a little bit different. We're all photographers here so we all have means of taking pictures - I thought it might be fun to share what gear you're using (be it a Canon 1DX or an iPhone), and then what you think are the pros and cons of your kit. I'd argue that no camera is entirely perfect, so what do you like about yours and what don't you like? It would be great also if you could link some of your pros and cons to your shooting in Disney. Also feel free to share just a couple of pictures at the end of your post to show what you've captured with your camera at Disney.

Feel free to do run-downs on lenses too! I also shoot with a Fujifilm X-Pro 2 and various lenses, so may well do another pros and cons on that once the ball has gotten rolling a bit!

I'll start.

Camera: Fujifilm X100F (fixed focal length lens - 23mm f/2.0 (35mm FF equivalent))

Pros:
-Small and lightweight; easy to carry around the parks and doesn't need a big gear backpack to put it in.
-Good low light performance - I'm fairly happy shooting up to ISO 12,800 with it (although that is my absolute limit), f/2.0 is very handy but can be soft until you stop down to around f/2.8.
-I love the manual controls
-It can be controlled via an app on my iphone - this is pretty handy when it's on a tripod for long exposures - good for fireworks!
-Electronic viewfinder is awesome - you can see exactly what you're going to end up with before you push the shutter. But, in blazing sun it can be difficult to see. Fortunately it also has an optical viewfinder.
-SOOC JPEGs can look fantastic, but you can shoot RAW at the same time as JPEG just to be safe.
-Some great film simulation options for JPEGs including some good customisation options

Cons:
-Can't change lenses. For me personally, this isn't a con. I find it liberating to shoot with only one focal length as it reduces the decisions that need to be made. It is possible to add conversion lenses to it.
-ISO dial is a bit rubbish - it's of a more retro design but is kind of all form over function - you have to lift the collar on the shutter speed dial which then rotates to allow you to choose your ISO. Truthfully, if I'm on holiday (and even when I'm not) I actually leave the ISO set to auto - I know I'm happy with ISO 12,800 so there's not normally much need to fiddle around with it, I normally control my exposure using the aperture ring (on the lens) and the exposure compensation dial.
-Battery life can be dodgy. I own 10 fuji batteries which all come on holiday....just in case.
-Video is supposedly lackluster - I've never tried it, but I must admit I'm tempted to give it a go in my trip to WDW in March 2018.
-Optical viewfinder suffers from parallax error - this is a rangefinder design camera, so this is a problem with any cameras of this design, but because the viewfinder isn't looking directly through the lens there is a slight discrepancy between what the sensor is seeing and what my eye is seeing.
-Not weather sealed
-No dual card slots - this is a little irritating as there's no 'on the fly' backup.

DLP-084.jpg DLP-134.jpg DLP-138.jpg DLP-276.jpg DLP-273.jpg

Canon 7D; 28-70mm Sigma; 70-200mm Sigma (all pro level)
Pros: Great camera and gear. Takes great photos.
Cons: I am a picture taker and not a photographer. Its heavy and after a few trips lugging and dealing with it, I am done trying.

Olympus TG4
Pros: Light weight, waterproof, rugged camera, great underwater video and pictures.
Cons: Not a good all around camera. More of a specific use

GoPro-clone
Pros: It does decent video. It is more of a toy.
Con: Action cameras are for a basic specific purpose. They are toys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter