Pros and cons of using non-airport car rental agencies?

C.Ann

<font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font
Yep - still looking for even MORE ways to save money.. LOL !!

The first time we went to WDW we rented from a place that was not at the airport.. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it might have been Thrifty.. Anyhow, I remember that everything went quite smoothly, and really didn't take any more time than when we went in Sept. of 2001 and rented at the airport..

Can you give me some pros and cons and share some of your experiences? It will be me (grandma), my grown DD, and 5 yr. old granddaughter - traveling with no men folk..;)

Thanks!

I have never found off airport to be a hassle. I just go with the best rate, which for me, right now is AARP and a coupon for 20.00 off from BJ's through National. I do not, however, have any loyalty to any car rental agency. I go where the price is good.
I have found the shuttles run well and move quickly and the rental agencies to be close. so, C.Ann, I would go with the best rate with a known agency.

We rent all the time now from Hertz. We are out of the airport in less than a minute and I am driving out of the lot in 5 or 10 mins.

We used to use onsite National but found it took longer and cost more. All the last several cars we got from them had problems.

I agree with the previous posters, choose on price and service, not on or off-airport. Beware of some of the little "no names". They can be awful.

I am planning to Priceline my car rental for October. If you are interested in this option, start your research at biddingfortravel.com.

We use Hertz all the tinme and like Safetymom said the time that it takes to get to your car from once you get your luggage and get your car is no more then 10 minutes! Usually once you get your luggage you can just hop the elevator or escalator. Providing you don't have alot of luggage!! Hertz usually has a bus waiting or one just coming in!

Use Hertz all the time. Gold card member, in and out of the lot in less than 5 minutes, plus Hertz lot is right off the highway, you are on the hightway in less than a minute. We used National and found by the time you use the elevator( they take forever in MCO) and go to the parking lot you can be at the Hertz lot.

Thanks for all the great advice here! The only problem with Hertz is no matter how I try - even with my AAA discount - I can't seem to get an itermediate for a price that is reasonable.. It's running around $100 or more than the other places for the 13 days that we need it.. :(

Am I doing something wrong?

C.Ann, if you are a member of AARP go to their website and get the codes for Hertz, National and Avis. I tend to do very well with National and the AARP code, much better than Hertz or Avis.

Also, if you belong to Costco or BJ's they have coupons. I have a 20.00 one from BJ's that made the deal even more attractive.

Have you tried using the FRDM code for the rate? Also sometimes they run deals where it is actually cheaper for a full size than it is for an intermediate. Also I would check Smarter Living for Codes and try Orbitz for rates at Hertz. I also got a great deal once by checking the prices at the Southwest Airlines. It beat my AAA discount and I didn't need to fly Southwest.

Did you look at the special offers page to see if there was any specials you could use. Also our AAA is offering a free tank of gas with a Hertz rental.

Just be sure that whoever you go with to try the rates with and without the coupon. There are some that actually raise the rate before they take off the coupon.

You need to do a little homework with different web sites but a little bit of time playing around with codes can usually save you a lot of money with Hertz. Have you bought tickets for the airlines yet? Sometimes they will give a discounted rate at the different car rental agencies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter