Proof of Age

LisaT91403

DIS Veteran
Our friends are going to join us on an upcoming visit to DLR, and it's going to be their first trip (yay!)

Their DS is 2, and will turn 3 about 2 months after the visit. But...he is huge. Gigantic. He is off the charts in both height and weight, but he is 2 years old. Do you think the parents need to bring a birth certificate with them to prove their DS is not yet 3 years old? They would prefer not to have to bring it and take the chance of it getting lost, but they will if they have to.

I've never had this problem since my DS is tiny for his age, so I'm not sure what advice to offer our friends. Has anyone ever been asked to prove the age of his/her child?

Thanks!

Our friends are going to join us on an upcoming visit to DLR, and it's going to be their first trip (yay!)

Their DS is 2, and will turn 3 about 2 months after the visit. But...he is huge. Gigantic. He is off the charts in both height and weight, but he is 2 years old. Do you think the parents need to bring a birth certificate with them to prove their DS is not yet 3 years old? They would prefer not to have to bring it and take the chance of it getting lost, but they will if they have to.

I've never had this problem since my DS is tiny for his age, so I'm not sure what advice to offer our friends. Has anyone ever been asked to prove the age of his/her child?

Thanks!

My son was the same way. He also spoke very well for that age. I brought a photocopy just in case but was never asked for it. I did receive some snarky looks from some CM's at the gates when they asked me for his ticket and I said he was under 3. I don't blame them though. I thank those that lie and say their over 3 child is under 3 because they don't want to pony up the cash.

If it makes them feel better, they can bring it but they won't be asked for it.

My son was the same way. He also spoke very well for that age. I brought a photocopy just in case but was never asked for it. I did receive some snarky looks from some CM's at the gates when they asked me for his ticket and I said he was under 3. I don't blame them though. I thank those that lie and say their over 3 child is under 3 because they don't want to pony up the cash.

If it makes them feel better, they can bring it but they won't be asked for it.

This. They most likely won't be asked. In fact I don't think they can make you prove it.

Thanks everyone. The funny thing is that my DS(3) is a good 3+ inches shorter than our friend's 2 year old. I can just see them walking to the gate together...my DS with his AP in hand, while his friend has no ticket and looks twice as big. Ugh, I hope it isn't a problem. I am going to suggest the photocopy idea to them just so that nobody's day is ruined before it even gets started.

Excellent idea. My DS was still 2 when we went to WDW last fall and even at 39.5" no one batted an eye.

Excellent idea. My DS was still 2 when we went to WDW last fall and even at 39.5" no one batted an eye.

It has to be impossible for the CM's to figure out, don't you think? My DS will be 4 years old at the end of March, and he is about 38" (tiny). His friend is not quite 3, and is over 40"...maybe even 41". How could a CM possibly be expected to tell the difference, especially with thousands of people coming through the gates? Seems like an impossible task.

My DD was the same when she went her first time and is very tall for her age as well. They never once asked for anything about her proof of age. When we go in Feb we will be there 3 days before my little one turns 2 and she is 39 inches already. So I will bring a copy just in case, but again last time no issues.

I asked about this in May when we went just 10 days before my son turned 3. What I was told was that CMs are rather savvy about it and when in doubt, ask the child. We were never questioned, but my son is average size, if not a bit small.

We went 2 weeks before my son's third birthday. Just before we left, he got the grand idea to start replying to the question "how old are you?" with "SIX!"

This was an improvement, because before that he insisted he was 3. And as a 35-month-old in the 95th percentile for height and weight, he could have passed for 4.

We took a copy of his BC, but were never asked for it. We had a secret weapon we hadn't planned on, though. CMs asked DS how old he was, he gleefully replied "SIX!" and his big sister (4 at the time) would stage whisper behind her hand "that's my baby brother. He isn't REALLY six, he's just still two. But he likes to pretend." Same conversation every single time we entered a park. It was adorable, and I think it added plausibility :lmao:.

We went 2 weeks before my son's third birthday. Just before we left, he got the grand idea to start replying to the question "how old are you?" with "SIX!"

This was an improvement, because before that he insisted he was 3. And as a 35-month-old in the 95th percentile for height and weight, he could have passed for 4.

We took a copy of his BC, but were never asked for it. We had a secret weapon we hadn't planned on, though. CMs asked DS how old he was, he gleefully replied "SIX!" and his big sister (4 at the time) would stage whisper behind her hand "that's my baby brother. He isn't REALLY six, he's just still two. But he likes to pretend." Same conversation every single time we entered a park. It was adorable, and I think it added plausibility :lmao:.

Totally!! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter