Professional Hiring Process and Timing Question

MickeyNola

Mouseketeer
I applied for a professional position (full time) in early November and I've seen the position re-posted a number of times. The original posting date was the first week of November, and I'd had my eye out for almost this exact position, and applied within a day or two of the listing going up. Then, two weeks later the listing was "refreshed" and the date changed. It just happened last week again for a third time, so when you go into the hiring dashboard, it says I applied November 5th for a position posted November 26th. Weird, right?

I've read where it can take up to 4 weeks just to move to the next step of the hiring process, so I'm thinking worst case scenario it'll be 3-4 weeks from November 26th, not the original date of Nov. 5th, which would be any day now. Can anyone give me some insight to the recruiting process, how many steps there are before even getting to an interview and that kind of thing? Some of the forums out there are pretty ambiguous and talk about online personality profiles and all this other stuff you need to do before you actually get in front of the decision maker. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm a mid-career marketing person with an MBA from a well respected school (not Ivy league, but pretty good) and about 8 years experience, but never with a company this big. My last interview was in 2008 so I'm a little rusty with the job search thing, and I've already sent the application, so I'm really just playing the waiting game. I'd like to follow up, but I don't even know who to contact or how. Thanks.

I know that for some positions the roles change and they are required to repost them! It's happening in my area right now.

Sometimes they repost the position to get a broader range of people to speak to.

I think that's a good point about getting a broader audience, every time I look the position is posted on a different social media site or job board, so I'm sure they're getting thousands (eek!) of applications.

Anyone out there work in the marketing/ promotions department? Any suggestions?
:smickey:

Well it looks like I'm just going to have to buckle down and settle in for the long haul... No change on the dashboard and it looks like hiring has slowed for the holidays... It'll most likely be after the new year before anything happens, but thanks everybody for taking a look, I'll try and keep posting as I go through the process. Wish me luck and Merry Christmas everybody!

I hate to be blunt... but if they're reposting the job then it's likely they haven't found the correct candidates. They typically do not send the rejection e-mails until the position has been filled, which is why some people do not hear anything for a couple months.

Couple resume questions - were all of the required skills listed CLEARLY with similar verbiage as the posting? Did your resume expand beyond one page - typically they are only going to review the first page (unless it's a high level position).

Getting through the resume screening process is sometimes the hardest part. The first round is reviewed by a computer (so no human actually sees it). Then the Casting Team reviews it... THEN it's forwarded on to the department.

If they are truly in a need for a job then it would have been hired. My DH posted his resume on the first day of the posting, had an interview within a week and was offered the job ALL before the posting ever came down. If they want the position filled, they move quickly.

Berlioz is right here. It also depends on the urgency needed to fill the position, however.

I thought that they might not have found what they're looking for when the job was re-posted, but I just had to be confident with what I put out there and know that I'm a qualified candidate. The reality is that getting past the resume screening can be a random chance.

I've seen where the head of the department has been out of town (Art Basel in Miami, traveling to NYC, on vacation, ect.) so I doubt he's even taken a look at the applications. I originally found out about the position through his twitter feed, so that's the only reason I think that's relevant. I have no idea how urgent they need to fill the position, but it doesn't see like they are, that's just the feeling I get.

And on the resume question, I uploaded two pages, first a cover letter and then a resume. I didn't have a separate list of skills exactly, but I do meet all the desired qualifications listed and I made sure that I used similar wording to the job details they originally posted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter