Pro and con of multiple home resorts

tom1944

DIS Veteran
As I research where to purchase and how many points to buy initially it has become clear that many people own at multiple resorts

I realize that gives an 11 month window at more resorts but is there other benefits than having all your points at one location

Prices vary over time. When I bought SSR, it was a better value. I'm not sure it's the choice I would make today.

I bought VGF because of the big price hit mid-Covid.

Prices vary over time. When I bought SSR, it was a better value. I'm not sure it's the choice I would make today.

I bought VGF because of the big price hit mid-Covid.
Since I just started my search I was unaware that there were swings in the value that impacted some resorts more than others

I started looking in October and will not purchase until February at the earliest so I might not see this type of swing.

I am looking at contract expiration, maintenance fees and points needed for my desired room type in the period I plan to vacation when comparing costs

I have 6 or 7 resorts on my list but will only buy 1 initially. Most likely a MK resort

We love RIV and VGF so that gives us the advantage at both, as we love to split stay and stay at each foe every trip.

We do own SSR as well which we use mainly to use to help us get larger rooms.

As I research where to purchase and how many points to buy initially it has become clear that many people own at multiple resorts

I realize that gives an 11 month window at more resorts but is there other benefits than having all your points at one location

The problem with owning multiple home resorts is you can't combine points at the 11 month window. So, you're stuck with split stays. Split stays aren't the best for most families.

I own Polynesian and Riviera. We go every year with extended family. With borrowing back, we now stay at Poly one year and Riviera the next. We get two studios at Poly and a 2-bedroom at Riviera. This usually works out great.

I also own a small contract at Boardwalk just because I like to go for Christmas or New Year's for 2 or 3 days every couple of years as an add-on birthday trip (without extended family).

My best advice is buy where you want to stay and in the location you spend the most time in. However, I think eventually it just makes sense to own at both the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT resort area.

I don't regret PVB. I do regret Riviera just because of the location and reliance on the Skyliner. The resort is beautiful, but if the Skyliner is down you are hosed. And it's been down at least a half of a day every time we've stayed there. Having to take a "Skyliner Resort" bus from Hollywood Studios to Art of Animation, then Pop Century, then Caribbean Beach and finally Riviera is not fun especially after a long park day.

We have 3 home resorts. This gives us some nice options; we can split stay or bank points and alternate a different resort each year.
Sometimes we will book a studio for a week with home resort points at 11 months then upgrade to a 1BR using one of our other resorts right at 7 months. Our past couple of trips we modify at 7 months just to try out the other resorts. It's a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.

It really depends on how you like to vacation. As others have said and most important: Buy where you want to stay. Then go and see the other resorts while vacationing. If you later want more points you are more familiar with the resorts and your own vacation preferences. The best plan is the one that satisfies you.

The Pros and Cons also depend on how many points you are purchasing, and how frequently you plan to visit. If you are only buying a small number of points to facilitate one week a year, for example, multiple resorts will mean either split stays, or alternating resorts each year by banking/borrowing -- in other words, do Resort 1 in the first year by borrowing and bank Resort 2's points. The following year, go to Resort 2. Rinse and repeat every year.

When we first bought in, that was our thought. Our two favorite resorts are Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge. We initially bought in with the idea of being able to do 7-10 days per year, with the intent of alternating resorts, and then decided we'd rather do 2 trips per year, so had enough points to be able to do ~week at each in at least a 1BR. That way we had 11 month priority at each resort.

As time went on and addonitis got ahold of us, our rationale for buying additional home resorts was as follows:
- we initially bought at BRV to get the studios that sleep 5 and because we love it, but added on at CCV so that come post-2042, we can continue to vacation at the Wilderness Lodge. Also, the price was very right in summer 2020 fire sales. :)
- at the time, SSR were great SAP points, and under $100/point. So we bought 150 SSR points so that we could potentially "uplevel" accommodations to 2BRs or even Cabins/GVs at 7 months. It also gave us 11 month priority at SSR, and the Treehouses are fantastic value for large accommodations and we love them, so it would also give us 11 month priority when we want to do THVs, especially during peak/holiday travel.
- we don't mind split stays. And in fact often do the first 1-2 nights in a Studio just to save points. We often fly in late at night (after 9-10pm), and I hate spending the cost of a 1BR/2BR on that first night. DH really wanted to own at Polynesian, and it's also a great resort for MK/Epcot access, too, so we got enough for 11 month priority for a few nights in a Studio (100 points).
- RIV was a bit of last minute jump for us, and partly because we knew that once the kiddos were off at college, we'd want to try to hit Epcot festivals more often, and the convenience of an Epcot resort can't be beat in that regard. When the 2020 summer fire sale happened, and we jumped on adding direct at CCV, we found out that CCV and RIV incentives at that time could be combined, so it brought our effective buy-in cost to ~$140/point, and so we bought enough points to get 11-month priority for RIV for 4-5 nights at year. Again, our thinking was either short trips OR resort hopping, and while resort hopping isn't for everyone, we don't mind it and enjoy getting to experience different resorts (and be close to the parks we intend to hit during that time).
- VGC is obvious, in my mind. If you want to stay at the Grand Californian, you need to own. We got a very small amount of points as we don't expect to go more than every 2-3 years. Due to Covid, my work situation has changed, so I'm not out that way as frequently, either.
- Similarly with HHI. It was VERY inexpensive buy in, so it can be used for SAP, but also to give us priority during peak travel times for a stay. Again, once our kiddos are off at college, I think it'll also make a nice pre- or post- stay at WDW, especially if we decide to drive than to fly.

I don't regret PVB. I do regret Riviera just because of the location and reliance on the Skyliner. The resort is beautiful, but if the Skyliner is down you are hosed. And it's been down at least a half of a day every time we've stayed there. Having to take a "Skyliner Resort" bus from Hollywood Studios to Art of Animation, then Pop Century, then Caribbean Beach and finally Riviera is not fun especially after a long park day.
I have yet to stay at Riviera, but was under the impression they have their own dedicated buses. Is that not the case?

Reason we own multiple homes. IMO, any venue around Epcot is fairly impossible to book at 7 months from mid-September thru the Fall.
That is good information to know.

For me the Riviera is the only Epcot resort I am considering because of contract date

I am considering 3 at MK and if the new Poly has 1 bedrooms that would be a 4th. I will probably have made a purchase at a MK location before that though

The Pros and Cons also depend on how many points you are purchasing, and how frequently you plan to visit. If you are only buying a small number of points to facilitate one week a year, for example, multiple resorts will mean either split stays, or alternating resorts each year by banking/borrowing -- in other words, do Resort 1 in the first year by borrowing and bank Resort 2's points. The following year, go to Resort 2. Rinse and repeat every year.

When we first bought in, that was our thought. Our two favorite resorts are Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge. We initially bought in with the idea of being able to do 7-10 days per year, with the intent of alternating resorts, and then decided we'd rather do 2 trips per year, so had enough points to be able to do ~week at each in at least a 1BR. That way we had 11 month priority at each resort.

As time went on and addonitis got ahold of us, our rationale for buying additional home resorts was as follows:
- we initially bought at BRV to get the studios that sleep 5 and because we love it, but added on at CCV so that come post-2042, we can continue to vacation at the Wilderness Lodge. Also, the price was very right in summer 2020 fire sales. :)
- at the time, SSR were great SAP points, and under $100/point. So we bought 150 SSR points so that we could potentially "uplevel" accommodations to 2BRs or even Cabins/GVs at 7 months. It also gave us 11 month priority at SSR, and the Treehouses are fantastic value for large accommodations and we love them, so it would also give us 11 month priority when we want to do THVs, especially during peak/holiday travel.
- we don't mind split stays. And in fact often do the first 1-2 nights in a Studio just to save points. We often fly in late at night (after 9-10pm), and I hate spending the cost of a 1BR/2BR on that first night. DH really wanted to own at Polynesian, and it's also a great resort for MK/Epcot access, too, so we got enough for 11 month priority for a few nights in a Studio (100 points).
- RIV was a bit of last minute jump for us, and partly because we knew that once the kiddos were off at college, we'd want to try to hit Epcot festivals more often, and the convenience of an Epcot resort can't be beat in that regard. When the 2020 summer fire sale happened, and we jumped on adding direct at CCV, we found out that CCV and RIV incentives at that time could be combined, so it brought our effective buy-in cost to ~$140/point, and so we bought enough points to get 11-month priority for RIV for 4-5 nights at year. Again, our thinking was either short trips OR resort hopping, and while resort hopping isn't for everyone, we don't mind it and enjoy getting to experience different resorts (and be close to the parks we intend to hit during that time).
- VGC is obvious, in my mind. If you want to stay at the Grand Californian, you need to own. We got a very small amount of points as we don't expect to go more than every 2-3 years. Due to Covid, my work situation has changed, so I'm not out that way as frequently, either.
- Similarly with HHI. It was VERY inexpensive buy in, so it can be used for SAP, but also to give us priority during peak travel times for a stay. Again, once our kiddos are off at college, I think it'll also make a nice pre- or post- stay at WDW, especially if we decide to drive than to fly.
This is a lot like what I keep running through my mind

Sadly I never thought about buying in 2020.

I have yet to stay at Riviera, but was under the impression they have their own dedicated buses. Is that not the case?
Normally going to Epcot or HS you take the Skyliner, sometimes it goes down for lightning or mechanical issues. We were there when Riviera first opened and the Skyliner went down a few times, if it's down they start running busses to the parks right away. If it goes down coming back from HS, it's not a big deal, the bus stop is close, and they had a direct bus. If it's down coming back from Epcot, it can be a hassle, you need to go all the way to the front of the park. They had a bus for us, but it stopped at CBR for I believe 2 stops before Riv. The bus stop at Riviera is IMO the best of any of the resorts, they have a separate stop for different parks with it all covered and seating. The busses ran like clockwork while we were there. Pretty sure the busses are not normally shared with any of the other resorts. This can always change in the future.

They have their own dedicated buses for Magic Kingdom, Springs and Animal Kingdom as part of the normal schedule. I also think they run buses to EPCOT and Studios like once per hour for people who don't want to ride the Skyliner (or they did?).

However, at least the two times we stayed there, when the Skyliner goes down for weather they just run Skyliner resort buses at Studios & EPCOT. We boarded at Boardwalk. No idea if a direct bus was available at the front of the park. It was pouring down rain both times so even though we had to walk to Boardwalk, it was better than walking all the way back to front bus loop.

Pro is you have 11 month availability at multiple resorts. That only makes sense if you have enough points at each resort to make it worth your while…

We plan on having multiple eventually, but while we are Disney people… we prefer the non-WDW resorts. We might want a few points here or there for GF, but we live relatively close to WDW…. So…. We love Swolphin for Epcot, and our stays tend to be a day here or there, not too extended.

Multiple home resorts are great.

I have 3 home resorts, I have enough BWV for a week SV labor day for Food and Wine since it is hot and thunderstorms often so I retreat to the hotel. I have enough Poly for 3-4 days since I like to stay at a monorail resort in February so I can do MK. The rest of my points are Riveria since it was the least expensive way to get a blue card, and it will back up my BWV in 2042 giving me an Epcot resort. The RR resort points will get used as SAP if I can grab the whole week at Poly or GF in Feb.

I probably should have purchased VGF over Poly since the availability for Poly is good at 7 months but the Resort studios were not my thing I only like VGF1.

I am a firm believer in buying where you want to stay… and I practice what I preach… we’re up to 6 resorts. 😂😅

Part of my reasoning is so that my husband won’t get *bored* with our resort when we keep going back to Disney. He really enjoys staying different places- and this helps us do it more easily. However, he definitely does not like split-stays, so we buy enough points to stay our whole trip in one spot. I do love owning at multiple resorts, but for the first time ever, I'm strongly considering adding on at a place we already own!! We’re wanting larger accommodations for longer trips (with our 2 youngest kiddos) & adding on at the 7 month mark is more stressful than just owning what we “need.” 😉

I am a firm believer in buying where you want to stay… and I practice what I preach… we’re up to 6 resorts. 😂😅

Part of my reasoning is so that my husband won’t get *bored* with our resort when we keep going back to Disney. He really enjoys staying different places- and this helps us do it more easily. However, he definitely does not like split-stays, so we buy enough points to stay our whole trip in one spot. I do love owning at multiple resorts, but for the first time ever, I'm strongly considering adding on at a place we already own!! We’re wanting larger accommodations for longer trips (with our 2 youngest kiddos) & adding on at the 7 month mark is more stressful than just owning what we “need.” 😉
I may get there but for now I think I will purchase enough points for a week each year. Initially I will purchase 2 home resorts but only 125 points between the 2. Using those points plus borrowed points to get to 250 for our initial stay. We would do a split stay 3/4.

Once we return I hope to purchase 2 additional resorts again 125 points. I have been reading that some rooms are in bad shape so if I get one of those my wife could decide we need to reconsider.

If things go well I can see adding points if she does not like split stays or an additional resort if she does

The 4 I believe we will purchase are

Copper Creek and Animal Kingdom for when we take our granddaughter

Riviera and Disney Springs for trips where it may only be the two of us

Grand Floridian would be 5th unless for some reason we find a deal that is significantly better than CCV but I don’t see that happening

Last edited:
Yes, they have their own buses.
This is true unless the Skyliner is down and the return from Epcot in our case was a shared bus with CBR. Not a big deal, but it does add a few extra stops. If you end up walking all the way to the front of Epcot to catch a bus and counting the extra stops, it becomes close to an hour back to Riviera instead of 10 minutes on the Skyliner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter