Prioritizing evening activities for 13-year olds ... Will I regret skipping Fantasmic??

It depends on what your kids like. My nine and ten year old aren't super into the animated movies anymore and even at their ages thought Fantasmic was a bit lame. They enjoyed most of the actual show, but the consensus was that it wasn't worth the time spent. They are animal lovers, so they did enjoy Rivers of Light, but it's also doesn't seem as inconvenient or as much of a time commitment.

I understand your reasoning for doing AK on two days, however, we were there in late August last year and were able to see ROL, the tree awakenings and Pandora after dark all in one night. I, personally, would skip the sunset safari - the lighting effects they use are really bad, IMHO, and it's a complete waste of time.

I understand your reasoning for doing AK on two days, however, we were there in late August last year and were able to see ROL, the tree awakenings and Pandora after dark all in one night. I, personally, would skip the sunset safari - the lighting effects they use are really bad, IMHO, and it's a complete waste of time.

I agree. I did all 3 as well in Aug 2017. You do ROL first and then go to the tree awakenings (spend 5-20 mins depending on your interest). Then get in line for FoP or na'avi about 3-5 mins beforr official closing time. If needed, postpone the night atmosphere part for after the ride.

FoP is worth doing twice.. at least once going through the Standby line to see the lab stuff. After a few times the thrill of it wears off a bit, but the first couple times are awesome. NRJ is ok, but defiantly do it with a FP or very low wait time...it's not worth a long line wait. Assume you know 'Park Open' to get on Pandora rides really means 60-90 minutes BEFORE park open... if you get there at park open, you will already have long lines.

Yes, I've read a lot of blog posts about doing FOP at rope drop, and it sounds incredibly stressful to me. Which is why I was hoping to get the FP for it twice. But if we can only see the lab stuff in the standby line, then I think the only viable option for us is to get in line for it at park close one night (I will not be able to convince DH or kids to show up 60 minutes before park opens!)

See you also thinking about MNSSHP... The show, parade and fireworks are great, but it can be very crowded trying to get around as many people are in the walkways. The lower rides are walkons, but the major ones still have waits. Glad saw the entertainment, but won't do it again.

I'm so on the fence about doing it. Do you have any feeling for whether we'd have a better time going to MNSSHP or the Wednesday evening EMH (currently 9-11 pm the week we're there), if we're more focused on the rides? I've also read that the evening EMH can be really crowded (it's the only evening EMH all week, and there are two parties that close MK early that week). I suppose if I'm now thinking of changing my tickets to hoppers, I could arrange it so we see the HEA fireworks on a different evening, so we could go to the Wednesday evening EMH and plan to focus on rides and not worry about having to see the fireworks. That might suit us better than going to the Halloween party, because we were not planning on taking advantage of any of the Halloween specific stuff like character meet & greets. I will say that way back when we first started planning this trip, we had no intention of doing a Halloween party (and I'm still in the "Halloween in August seems strange!" camp). We'd only be doing it because it's our only chance to stay until midnight at MK. I suppose if we settle for the evening EMH, then the cost of the MNSSHP tickets could be used to cover the price to upgrade to hoppers instead...

I agree. I did all 3 as well in Aug 2017. You do ROL first and then go to the tree awakenings (spend 5-20 mins depending on your interest). Then get in line for FoP or na'avi about 3-5 mins beforr official closing time. If needed, postpone the night atmosphere part for after the ride.

Wow, that's interesting to hear! I thought ROL was right at park close, so it's an either or thing in terms of seeing ROL or getting in line for a ride. Right now, there is no schedule officially released for ROL in August, but I was assuming it would be 8:30 pm for an 8:30 pm park close (which is the schedule most days we will be there)

You’re staying three nights at Beach Club. For me that would mean prioritizing the best use of that area on those nights - so Illuminations, the Star Wars dessert party and F! would be my choices. It’s such easy access back to your resort or meandering the boardwalk area at night that it makes the most sense to do Epcot/DHS things on those nights. To me part of the reason in doing a split stay is to take advantage of a location.

My teen nephews suggested you cut MNSSHP off the list. But then we don’t care too much for parties because of the crowds. IMO it’s not a good value if our focus is rides. Now a DAH, though? That’s a different story - we love those.

We’ve done the Tusker House RoL package twice but....I don’t know....the show is pretty, yes, but ultimately always bores us a little, especially the nephews. They will politely sit through, even as they’re wishing to be on EE instead. As far as seeing Pandora at night, I wouldn’t make a second trip back just for that although you mentioned doing a safari and FoP.

I'd love to do some DAH events, but none are scheduled when we're going. They sound awesome!

I'm wondering if my teens will be feeling like that, too - they'll sit through anything politely, but maybe they would be just as happy missing both of these shows (Fantasmic and ROL). As someone else said, if they don't know what they're missing, they won't be bothered... Fireworks are definitely going to be engaging for them, and so we will definitely plan on HEA, the Star Wars ones at HS, and Illuminations, but then perhaps just not bother with the other 2 shows? It's definitely me pushing us to see them, not the kids.

Well, we sat thru Fantasmic and couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. I'd definitely skip it in favor of pretty much anything else. Add in standing in line before and after, crowded with all those people, in the heat. No thank you.
I agree with you. I do not like Fantasmic at all! I wouldn’t waste your time at Rivers of Light either. I don’t think the kids would like it.

I agree with the posters above that you could combine all of your AK evening plans into one day. I really like the artistry of RoL, but my family will actually choose to leave me at the park and go back to the hotel room rather than watch it again (they've only seen it once). Fantasmic used to be one of our must dos - but it hasn't been updated in so long, that we typically skip it. If your group hasn't seen it, or has only seen it once at DL, I think your teens will enjoy it. They try to keep you entertained during the long wait in the amphitheater, at least I assume they are still doing trivia and sing-a-longs and other crowd interaction.

I like Fantasmic. I did the Star Wars dessert party and did not enjoy it at all, and I thought the viewing area was pretty bad for what you paid for the party. But then, I don't drink and I really didn't like the desserts - I never do, at any of the dessert parties. Reserved seating doesn't happen - you have to stand if you want to see. Did like the Chewbacca mug, though. I like ROL also, but I would choose Star Wars and Fantasmic over ROL especially if it's not fully dark. Love MNSSHP! Depends on what you're there for. I've gone with and without little princesses, and enjoy it equally. I don't necessarily meet the characters, but I do like the shows and rides. I'm not as bothered by waits as others are. We went last Halloween, one of if not the most crowded of parties, and we had a blast. Crowds did not bother me. On a 1 and done, I would try to do as much as possible. I also think ROL, nighttime at Pandora and Awakenings are all doable in one night. We had no problem getting all of them done.

My kids were split on ROL. The boys hated it and the girls thought it was pretty. I liked it but would not go out of my way (which we did) to see it. We have never seen fantastic and don’t feel like we have missed it. Honestly my kids prefer to ride rides when the shows are going on. I haven’t watched fireworks at MK for a few years because youngest DS11 would rather ride a few things with 0 wait. With your kids being 13 you may want to offer them some freedoms in the parks by themselves for a bit if their interests differ from you. DH and I enjoy sitting down with an adult beverage while the kids ride a thing or 2. I wouldn’t stress too much about the night shows though, we usually tire before then and would rather be at the resort swimming

I have kids similar in age to yours and they both enjoy all the nighttime shows. It is a good break and nice to sit for a while after a busy day. I would definitely get the park hoppers. You have picked great resorts. We love those. We will usually start our day in whatever park we want to visit, stay a few hours and then come back to the hotel to rest, go to the pool, etc. Then in the evening, we will use the hoppers to go over to the park closest to our hotel. Keep an eye open for possible future DAH dates. They could have them when you are there and any of those would be so much better than MNSSHP.

Depends on the person I think. We wouldn't miss Fantasmic for anything. IFantasmic and HAE are our favourite night time shows.
Personally we would combine the Pandora at night and Rivers of Light to the same night.

I find hoppers a waste with kids. We are too exhausted. And don’t make good use of them.

You need to make to build rest time into your trip. No one with kids can do 7 days all out. It you plan every evening in a park you are going to need restful days.

You will hate your trip if you try to do it all. You won’t know what you don’t see. Make sure to allow time to follow what the kids want, even if it makes the pace leisurely. Many trips we missed evening shows when son was younger because a leisurely night at hotel with swimming reenergized us for next day.

And no matter what these boards say, you can have a great time without a zillion add ons like dessert parties.

We did a night safari and were actually disappointed. We much prefer a daytime ride. Have a great time whatever you decide.

I think that this issue I have with this kind of advice is that it does nto take into account that we all tour differently. We get hoppers. We bounce from park to park, and we never leave exhausted. Unless we stay in one all day. No family can do it all, btu soime like to move all day. Actually for us, the hoppers are a way to see more and relax more because we seldom will stay more than a few hours in any park, then we leave to hit the resort, and back out for dinner and evening entertainment in a different park. This strategy has worked for my family since my DGD was 4.

If DAH is going during your time you could try AK and you'll be able to see both ROL and Pandora at night? Otherwise I'd drop Fantasmic or the Halloween Party.

ROL is not good. And I'm a "do everything at the park" person. I'd rather wander through Pandora at night, that's a better show lol. I'm also not a park hopper person ( we figure it takes an hour to hop so a waste of time) BUT being able to walk back to your room (while at BC) is great. We loved the MNSSHP, the parade is amazing, fireworks really good, you get TONS of candy. We didn't do any characters. I know we rode rides but I don't remember the line situation. Also, this was 2011 so a lot probably has changed!

The WDW version is so disappointing after seeing the Disneyland one. We had seen the WDW one first, but I don't plan on ever seeing it again.

Plus, those darn concrete benches are incredibly uncomfortable.

Fantasmic does not have concrete benches.
The theater has aluminum benches like many of the WDW arenas.
(Indiana Jones Stunt Show, Beauty and the Beast, Festival of the Lion King)

The theater that does have several benches made of concrete is DAK's Rivers of Light.

Last edited:
Since this has turned into more than just "should I miss Fantasmic?" I'll add my 2 cents.

We love park hoppers. On family trips, we get up early, try to get there by rope drop (both for getting on rides easier and to beat the heat), use our touring plans, then get back to the room by early afternoon. We nap, rest, swim, freshen up. We then usually go to a different park for dinner, mostly because there are a couple parks that I think are really lacking in the good food department. I do NOT like all day, all night at the park. By day 3 I'm exhausted. This was exactly what happened when I chaperoned the high school band to WDW. In an understandable effort to keep the kids busy, we were gone by 8:00 and returned to the hotel at 10-11pm every day. Truly, by the end of day 3, I desperately just wanted to stay in bed for 24 hours. I was tired, my body hurt, and I just needed a break from the hordes of people.

So, beware of trying to cram everything in to your "trip of a lifetime." It may it feel more like a death march by the end, and there's a good chance the 13yo's won't feel the regret that you think you will by not checking all the boxes you feel are necessary.

We really enjoyed Fantasmic. I eanted tk enjoy Rivers of Light, but I just didn't get it. I found it very difficult to see what was happening on the water screens and it was just really not engaging or impressive. I don't plan on watching it again.

You could do Pandora at night AND ROL in one night. I don't think you'll need 2 nights for that. Pandora is cool, but you really won't need a ton of time to explore. The sun sets around 8 pm in Orlando in August. I would use one if you want to squeeze in F! with park hoppers. You could also consider doing the dining package with either ROL or F! to further maximize your park time and not have to wait too long in line for prime seating.

Also consider the age of your DDs - F! is loaded with characters, so while the effects are cool, are they really into seeing characters/princesses? We saw F! on our earlier trips when DD was 5 and she was enamored, not so much when we went back and she was 8. Last summer we opted out of most night time shows except for Illuminations (we had a Spice Road ADR which was perfect). They preferred the swimming in the pool and watching fireworks and the water pageant from the Poly beach, especially DS12.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter