Presumably they mean if you bring your own actual Bed?....

Wakey

DIS Veteran
Members confirming 5 Guests in a 1 Bedroom Villa at Disney's Beach Club Villas, Disney's BoardWalkVillas, Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa and Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge -- 5th Guest can be accommodated, but please note that no additional bedding, linens or towels will be provided.

Sleeping bag.
Air bed.
Pack-N-Play crib.
Small child sleeping on two sofa cushions pushed together.

Take your pick.

For many years, DVC adhered rigidly to the posted occupancy for every resort. That had the resorts listed capped at 4 occupants for a One Bedroom. Presumably to meet member demand, they expanded the occupancy limit to allow 5 guests. However, the room configuration suggests there may not be a way to comfortably add a twin sleeper chair or Murphy bed to accommodate the extra guest.

Yes thanks for replies. The statement could be seen as a bit confusing as it says a 5th guest can be accommodated, but needs their own bedding etc. I think it should say something to the effect that a 5th guest can be accommodated, but there are only 4 sleeping surfaces and as such the guest has to make their own arrangements as to sleeping surfaces and bedding etc.
It's mad they didn't include a sleeper chair or pull down bed (like GFV 1 bed) in these 1 beds. I have a girl and boy, now 10 and 13 so don't want to share a bed sofa, and in many ways some studios are more accommodating with 5 sleep surfaces. I'm hoping those new Copper Creek 1 beds gave a pull down bed or sleeper chair.

Yes, we own at BCV and I have two DDs who hate sharing a bed. One is a sleep kicker. :) I got a owners locker for the sole purpose of storing an air mattress. It works for us.

Yes thanks for replies. The statement could be seen as a bit confusing as it says a 5th guest can be accommodated, but needs their own bedding etc. I think it should say something to the effect that a 5th guest can be accommodated, but there are only 4 sleeping surfaces and as such the guest has to make their own arrangements as to sleeping surfaces and bedding etc.
It's mad they didn't include a sleeper chair or pull down bed (like GFV 1 bed) in these 1 beds. I have a girl and boy, now 10 and 13 so don't want to share a bed sofa, and in many ways some studios are more accommodating with 5 sleep surfaces. I'm hoping those new Copper Creek 1 beds gave a pull down bed or sleeper chair.

Not mad at all the 1 bedrooms are meant to be about more living space not more sleeping space thus the lounge and kitchen. Many of the 1 bedrooms are too small for the sleeper chair or pull down to fit.

For four we go for a 2 bedroom every time so we all get a bed and we can use the living space as living space

Not mad at all the 1 bedrooms are meant to be about more living space not more sleeping space thus the lounge and kitchen. Many of the 1 bedrooms are too small for the sleeper chair or pull down to fit.

For four we go for a 2 bedroom every time so we all get a bed and we can use the living space as living space
It is mad, or bad... Design. A studio at half points cost has 5 sleeping surfaces, but they couldn't get the same in twice the space at twice the cost? They obviously amended this with the later ones but disappointed they couldn't squeeze the Murphy bed in under the TV. Z

It is mad, or bad... Design. A studio at half points cost has 5 sleeping surfaces, but they couldn't get the same in twice the space at twice the cost? They obviously amended this with the later ones but disappointed they couldn't squeeze the Murphy bed in under the TV. Z
Every 1BR unit at the resorts that are BYOB are lock-offs. The addition of either a murphy bed or a chair would create door blockage, which is a fire code issue.

I disagree that it is bad design as the design intent of the 1 bedrooms was to provide more living space not sleeping space

Just because it isn't a fit for your particular circumstances doesn't make it bad design it suits others.

From what I understand, the breakfast counter is what is in the way. That design is the same at the 4 resorts in question (BWV, VWL, BCV, SSR). Plus the sofabed is a queen, which is longer than the double that is in the studios. So with both folded out, there would not be enough room.

As far as bad design, adding the pulldown to the studios was long after the resorts opened. So they have made an accommodation for families of 5 where they could not do it in a 1 bedroom.

I don't know if this a consideration, but the master is a King size bed I believe. So if one of the five is a small child, the master could accommodate three.
That is... if you're will to do that.

I disagree that it is bad design as the design intent of the 1 bedrooms was to provide more living space not sleeping space

Just because it isn't a fit for your particular circumstances doesn't make it bad design it suits others.

I think it's bad that they've increased the occupancy of the smallest rooms. They were sold as 4 and now they're 5. It's also bad in that it makes little sense to have a smaller villa have a larger occupancy (or rather beds for the occupancy of 5). Back in the day I'd agree the intent was that the 1BR's provided more space but they threw intent out the window with the studios and I don't know that applying it to one room type while not all really stands up as a reason.

But I also have always said that I think there would be ways to add a sleeping space in a 1BR - one just has to think beyond the murphy bed option. I can't tell you what exactly because I haven't brought a tape measure to see what could fit best but I think it would be possible if they had chosen to do so.

IMG_2849.JPG My daughter really wants to stay at BWV again. There is only availability for a one bedroom. We are bringing this to solve the problem. Last time we had a two bedroom there but it was really more than we needed. This should do the trick. She is going to use it for her team travel for swimming. She absolutely hates sharing a bed. It's called a thermarest luxury lite cot.

View attachment 222852 My daughter really wants to stay at BWV again. There is only availability for a one bedroom. We are bringing this to solve the problem. Last time we had a two bedroom there but it was really more than we needed. This should do the trick. She is going to use it for her team travel for swimming. She absolutely hates sharing a bed. It's called a thermarest luxury lite cot.
Is that comfortable? It's expensive here in UK ($200), is it worth it- better than an air matress? Does she take a sleeping bag or sheets?

It is incredibly comfortable. Worth the cost and absolutely better than an air mattress. At Disney we use pillows as a base and then a pillow for her head and blanket. Travelling with her team she will use a travel blanket she carries and again, hotel pillows for the base. I suppose towels would work as a base too. They sell mats for them but the point for us is to travel light.

I think it's bad that they've increased the occupancy of the smallest rooms. They were sold as 4 and now they're 5. It's also bad in that it makes little sense to have a smaller villa have a larger occupancy (or rather beds for the occupancy of 5). Back in the day I'd agree the intent was that the 1BR's provided more space but they threw intent out the window with the studios and I don't know that applying it to one room type while not all really stands up as a reason.

But I also have always said that I think there would be ways to add a sleeping space in a 1BR - one just has to think beyond the murphy bed option. I can't tell you what exactly because I haven't brought a tape measure to see what could fit best but I think it would be possible if they had chosen to do so.
And they increased the studios because they raised the price per point so much, many of their potential customers could only afford a studio. The murphy beds were wildly successful at POR, so they started adding them at DVC resorts where they could. To hell with fire occupancy regulations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter