Press conference online broadcast starting any minute...

"We have no plans to open any domestic theme parks within the next several years"

as expected

"Let's take a closer look at the key elements of our plan ...

... to continue developing the diverse mix of "uniquely Disney" entertainment offerings that have always characterized our properties.

"The first component of this four-part investment strategy is ...

... what I'll call E-Ticket Attractions."

Putting e-tickets in the focus of development is certainly good news!

"Here's a communications piece we've developed for another one of our major marketing themes -- our upcoming Golden Celebration in honor of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary. In fact, this 18-month celebration, which kicks off in May 2005, will be the biggest bash in Disney history ...
... with all five of our Resorts participating in different ways"

As expected

Reading that report just tells me things will continue as is. They seem to think that "Guests want more Disney" means they want more characters. That Guests "want more things the family can do" means "low cost" kiddie rides built around the characters. They are focusing on "low cost" shows and other special effects instead of rides.

daannzzz,

in my opinion, compared to the last four years, the current investment in rides is nothing short of amazing. There will be no less than three e-ticket rides opening within three years (M:S, Soarin', EE), in addition to the new car stunt show and a handful of smaller projects. I think it's unrealistic for them to do much more than that, in fact, if you had told me about this attraction lineup a year or two ago, I would have probably accused you of "wishful thinking".

Naturally, there is lots that needs to be done still - the parades are getting old, Illuminations is getting old, Fantasmic is getting old, maintenance is still not where it should be, guest service is not as great as it used to be, etc. Especially the latter things Disney does not seem to realize that these are significant.

Could someone say what if anything they did announce? I started listening late and now they appear to be done already.

What I heard is that the are going to concentrate more of the pie to marketing than attractions. While they are certainly dedicated to cap ex for attraction based startegies, they said a couple of times they see marketing themes as being a main focus. In fact, Rasulo and Hunt both referred to this when asked if they have made any startegic changes from the previous management group.

As for no new parks, their only focus is getting China to agree to a second park. This became increasingly obvious with the remark that guests who go to EuroDisney are more likely to go to WDW than the person who doesn't go to DLP. That is also true to an extent for TDS and it is expected to continue for DHK. This ties in with the marketing theme point above. They see untapped markets so they are going to direct more dollars to developing and implementing these themes. They are now marketing WDW and DLP together in Europe.

What I read in Rasulo's prepared remarks
"but once Tower of Terror opens, Disney's California Adventure will offer a complete, full-day experience"

What I heard him say
"but once Tower of Terror opens, Disney's California Adventure will offer a complete, enhanced experience"

I caught a little of the marketing spiel and it sounded OK but thanks for the added detail. :)

In reading through the transcript:
... and we will leverage not only one of the world's strongest brands but also the extensive franchise-building activities of businesses throughout The Walt Disney Company.
Does anyone know what this means? Franchise-building?

but once Tower of Terror opens, Disney's California Adventure will offer a complete, full-day experience that is different in style but comparable in variety and substance to what is currently available at Disneyland
Maybe while so much is closed at Disneyland. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Planogirl

Does anyone know what this means? Franchise-building?

The Disney model is one of franchsie-building through films, i.e. creating product through film. So , that gorgeous snowglobe of Nemo comes from the Nemo "franchise". Dsiney is now trying to do this through the Disney Channel more so than film as film has a shorter "shelf life" than TV. Kim Possible is a good example of a newer franchise that Disney is trying to establish through the Disney Channel.

On a different note, I thought it interesting that they are talking about the prospect of reducing the moratorium on video releases from 7-10 years to 5-7 years.

"According to independent research ...

... more than three-quarters of leisure travelers -- or 42 million U.S. households...

... have taken at least one leisure trip in the past five years with their extended family, other families or a group of friends. "

This would explain the survey I took part in while at WDW in August. They sent me a follow up survey all about travelling as part of a multi-household party.

All the results that they then quote in the press conference, I was asked about in the Disney survey. "Independent research":confused: ??

but once Tower of Terror opens, Disney's California Adventure will offer a complete, full-day experience that is different in style but comparable in variety and substance to what is currently available at Disneyland

Ok, show of hands... anyone agree?

Anyone?

Buehler?

Also, isn't this an admission that without ToT, as well as FFF and Aladdin, DCA offered far less than DL, even by Disney's apparently warped standards?

Why then, would this same company be so surprised that pricing the park as an equal to DL would result in failure and ridicule?

Bizarre.

The word "brand" is used ten times in the prepared statement.

That's tells you everything you need to know about the future of Disney parks.

Jay mentioned a $1 billion capital improvements project fund. That caught my attention.....

Meet the new boss.

Same as the old boss.

Except for the names of the details, this presentation could practically have been given by Ei$ner/Pre$ler any time in the last several years. Still in denial over DCA; bragging about lowering capital spending; all marketing, marketing, marketing, yadda, yadda, yadda.

So depressing.

What did you guys expect? It was a PR event, after all.

The speech was fine. There is a lot of information and, yes, a lot of the same. But mostly folks will hear what they want to hear based on their current perspective on the company...I mean there are quite a few around here who will hear NOTHING good unless the first words are "Michael Eisner is stepping down."...

"But mostly folks will hear what they want to hear based on their current perspective on the company..."

Works both ways Mr. Pirate.

stlphil-

I agree. I didn't find it to be depressing, though. What exactly is the expectation here?
It was a PR event, after all.

Exactly. Designed to inform by stating very little. There are no true predicators. It's all speculative, wishful thinking crystal snowglobe-telling prophecy.

But hey, it sounded pretty good!

What did you guys expect? It was a PR event, after all.
Designed to inform by stating very little. There are no true predicators. It's all speculative, wishful thinking crystal snowglobe-telling prophecy.
You're both right, of course. Its pretty clear there is not a true strategic change taking place, but rather just some minor budget tweaking.

Unfortunate, but not a surprise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!