prescription meds

we4blairs

Mouseketeer
May be a silly question...do I have to bring DH meds in the original container or can I bring them loose in the pill sorter?

Just BP/heart meds but I have this dream of getting stopped at the airport for smuggling drugs!

I'm sorry I don't know the answer. What we do is save an old pill bottle (same prescription) and put the exact pills we need into each one. Vitamins for my son, etc. Then we throw them away at the end of our trips. More going down, room for souvenirs later. We use our older toothbrushes and razors and purge afterwards. Can also work for undies and other personal products.

I had read somewhere that you should bring prescription drugs in original containers. I found smaller bottles and put the extra sticker on the bottle. I go to Walgreens and they print up 2 extra labels. I also use Flonase and put an extra label on the bottle itself, instead of carrying it in the box.

They do need to be in the original bottles. You could ask you pharmacy to give you a smaller bottles with a printed label, Walgreen did this for me with out a problem(I also recemmend to bring a few extra days worth just in case)

One thing to keep in mind, trips can be extended unexpectedly, so be sure to take a couple days extra meds with you.

Weather or mechanical problems could potentially delay a return to port. Not that likely but it has happened to various cruise ships.

Flight delays etc could get you home a day or so late as well. After our last cruise there were mechical problems with the plane on the flight home, we took off several hours late missing our connecting flight. The airline did put us up in a hotel but we got home a day later than expected.

So no matter how you pack them, do carry a few extra days worth of critical meds, just in case.

We fly with Med's too -- so far no issues. The majority go into a daily pill dispenser and we bring a couple of bottles. Neither my sister or I have ever been questioned on the pills (PACK THEM IN YOUR CARRYON).

The official site does say to bring the original bottles - but so far - no problems not bringing them. A couple of extra days is also a good idea.

Rence said:
One thing to keep in mind, trips can be extended unexpectedly, so be sure to take a couple days extra meds with you. . .

Flight delays etc could get you home a day or so late as well. After our last cruise there were mechical problems with the plane on the flight home, we took off several hours late missing our connecting flight. The airline did put us up in a hotel but we got home a day later than expected.

So no matter how you pack them, do carry a few extra days worth of critical meds, just in case.

Speaking from experience, Please HEED this advice, it happened to us during Hurricane Frances, we were stuck an extra 2 days, luckily I had read these boards and paid attention and took 3 days more of my meds and I just made it home with a day to spare. I'm a diabetic with high blood pressure and I have to take meds for both on a daily basis. I'll be taking a full weeks worth on this trip, better to be safe than sorry!! :teeth:

I maybe mistaken, but I believe it's technically a violation of federal law not to when going out of state, or country. Take the safe route. I would absolutely use the orginal packaging for many good reasons.

HTH

There are several issues here.

First, safety....what if your husband passes out on deck (or whatever). Can you tell the doc what meds he is on and in what doses? The ability to grab all the pill bottles and show him/her makes this much easier.

Secondly, legalities of each of the places you might be visiting. It really isn't a problem on a cruise since you won't be taking the drugs into the country (they will be on the ship)...or will they. What if you are doing a day in Cozumel and he needs noon doses of drugs? Actually, it is very rarely a problem even coming back into the US with a couple extra days worth of doses (unless he is on a scheduled substance), but the prescription bottles make it a non-issue no matter what he is on.

Most pharmacies will provide smaller containers that you can put just enough + 3 days worth in for the trip , or I frequently save my old container to use for travel drugs.

What I do (in reality) is to load my 7 day pill box before I leave, and have 3 additional days in my luggage in the prescription containers. I figure that since my schedule will be "unusual" while I'm on a trip, it helps me to remember to take the meds if I use the 7 day box. This should be empty when I am ready to re-enter the US. If not, I can easily place the appropriate pill in the appropriate container.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter