Preparing for Lost Child?

Traver Freeman

Mouseketeer
We are headed to WDW in a week with an almost 3 year old. He likes to run and play "have daddy chase me to places where I'm not supposed to go."

We are not planning on losing him, but it's good to be prepared in a worst-case scenario. I've heard all sorts of ideas for this, but we were wondering:

With magic bands, is it really necessary to pin your contact info to your child's shirt or write your phone number on the arm? Can the CM just scan his band and get our info from it? Not sure how that all works nowadays.

We are headed to WDW in a week with an almost 3 year old. He likes to run and play "have daddy chase me to places where I'm not supposed to go."

We are not planning on losing him, but it's good to be prepared in a worst-case scenario. I've heard all sorts of ideas for this, but we were wondering:

With magic bands, is it really necessary to pin your contact info to your child's shirt or write your phone number on the arm? Can the CM just scan his band and get our info from it? Not sure how that all works nowadays.
one thing to do each day take a picture of your child on your phone so you will know what child is wearing that day. do not count on your memory. from what I have heard CMs can not get your info from bands plus there is no info on band for the under 3 year old unless you bought tickets for him

one thing to do each day take a picture of your child on your phone so you will know what child is wearing that day. do not count on your memory. from what I have heard CMs can not get your info from bands plus there is no info on band for the under 3 year old unless you bought tickets for him
Just wanted to add that when I scanned our 2 year-old's MB at a FP kiosk his name and profile did in fact come up on the screen.

We did not employ any of the ID methods that some use for babies/toddlers other than taking a pic each day to remember clothing he was wearing that day. I've read about temporary tattoos for toddlers that can be ordered online. I'm sure a quick google search would lead you to them.

We traveled with a 6 year old wanderer who got lost within an hour or being there last month. Super scary. All adults spread out to look. I stood up on the fountain in Epcot and started looking. A woman saw me doing this and ran over to ask if we had lost a little girl. I said yes and yelled the direction of the girl to her mom. They were reunited within a few minutes but still scary.

Not telling you to scare you, but suggesting that if he sneaks away one of you climb up high and start scanning the crowd and that might help. Or use a leash. I'm Kidding. Kind of. Lol.

I'm sure you guys will be perfectly fine! Have a wonderful trip!

We traveled with a 6 year old wanderer who got lost within an hour or being there last month. Super scary. All adults spread out to look. I stood up on the fountain in Epcot and started looking. A woman saw me doing this and ran over to ask if we had lost a little girl. I said yes and yelled the direction of the girl to her mom. They were reunited within a few minutes but still scary.

Not telling you to scare you, but suggesting that if he sneaks away one of you climb up high and start scanning the crowd and that might help. Or use a leash. I'm Kidding. Kind of. Lol.

I'm sure you guys will be perfectly fine! Have a wonderful trip!

I always tried to put DD on a leash (the child kind not the dog kind, it was a cute backpack that looked like a monkey with a long tail that i could hold onto) anyway, she never liked it and always insisted it come off. LOL guess she realized at a young age what I was trying to do...

I need to figure this out as well, because there is no way that my 4 year old is going to wear his magicband the whole time, and those safety tattoos are too expensive. I am going to just get some adhesive name labels, and put it on the inside of their shirts. I saw another mom mention dogtags on the shoelaces, with the phone number, but I don't know where to get those done at!

I need to figure this out as well, because there is no way that my 4 year old is going to wear his magicband the whole time, and those safety tattoos are too expensive. I am going to just get some adhesive name labels, and put it on the inside of their shirts. I saw another mom mention dogtags on the shoelaces, with the phone number, but I don't know where to get those done at!

The question is, will Cast Members check the inside of a kid's shirt for this info? Where do Cast Members check? That is where we'd want to put info.

They probably will not check things. I believe the policy for a lost child is to take them to the baby care center at each park for the adults to get them. My nephew slipped away and was lost and that is where he ended up (of course it took 15 mins before anyone told us that is where he might end up).

saw another mom mention dogtags on the shoelaces, with the phone number, but I don't know where to get those done at!
PETCO used to have a machine in their stores to make these for pets. I haven't been there in a while but I would have to guess they still have them.

THOUGHTS:
- I don't think they will check anywhere that isn't visible to them without touching.
- It should be visible with them just standing there.
- A few weeks ago saw a family with large stickers on back with kids FULL name and phone.
- I never want their name easily visible, so a stranger could call them by name.
- A MagicBand can come off or be tossed, a sticker can fall off.
- We bought cute tags at the machines and looped it through shoe laces.
- Was told a few times by "workers" .... oh, good idea that is easy to spot.
- Machines at most pet stores or you can order online. Lots of places commercial or etsy.

These are good for anytime you are out somewhere busy or later added to backpack.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/233406982/disney-pet-id-tag-personalized-dog-tag

https://www.amazon.com/Collection-Licensed-Personalized-Engraved-Tags/dp/B01CZ9KGV6

You can also get them at Home Depot or lowes (at least where I am)...

THOUGHTS:
- I don't think they will check anywhere that isn't visible to them without touching.
- It should be visible with them just standing there.
- A few weeks ago saw a family with large stickers on back with kids FULL name and phone.
- I never want their name easily visible, so a stranger could call them by name.
- A MagicBand can come off or be tossed, a sticker can fall off.
- We bought cute tags at the machines and looped it through shoe laces.
- Was told a few times by "workers" .... oh, good idea that is easy to spot.
- Machines at most pet stores or you can order online. Lots of places commercial or etsy.

These are good for anytime you are out somewhere busy or later added to backpack.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/233406982/disney-pet-id-tag-personalized-dog-tag

https://www.amazon.com/Collection-Licensed-Personalized-Engraved-Tags/dp/B01CZ9KGV6

Thank you for pointing out that having the full name visible is a security risk. People should keep in mind that names and phone numbers are considered PII (personally identifiable information) for a reason. Having this information on a tag on your child's shoe or on their wrist is one thing but on their back is a very bad idea. Just make it a nice bright colored dog tag on their shoes the CM should spot it and you don't have to risk someone too easily getting the information...

You can also get them at Home Depot or lowes (at least where I am)...

Yes I think some Walmarts, Ace Hardware. I've even used them to tag good cameras and other things with minimal ways to ID.

You are already planning for an absconder? There is something inherently wrong with that I think you need a leash so he does not go missing

You are already planning for an absconder? There is something inherently wrong with that I think you need a leash so he does not go missing

I quoted OP's first post. Perhaps you should read it again.

OP: "We are not planning on losing him, but it's good to be prepared in a worst-case scenario."

I disagree wholeheartedly with your comment about "something being inherently wrong with that." Truthfully, there's is something inherently right with someone making every effort to be prepared. Especially for a parent that is fully responsible for another human being. I sensed a tone of criticism in your comment. As if you were taking a jab at OP's parenting skills. That is neither necessary nor helpful.

Bicycle riders wear helmets, the riders don't plan on falling. Cars have seat belts, the driver doesn't plan on crashing. Boats have life preservers, the captain doesn't plan on the ship sinking. None of them plan. They all prepare.

Kudos to you OP for seeking advice. I'm sure many new parents will read this thread in the future and find the replies helpful. Well, most replies anyway.

The old thing was just to write on their hand/arm with Sharpie and when cover with liquid bandage. Does anyone do this anymore?

When DS was 3.5 and we were going to WDW, I looked at all the options and finally decided that if he can memorize every Thomas character's name, and multiple other sets of characters, he could memorize my phone number too. We started working on it and he had it down within a couple of days. 3 years later, I test him once in a while before we're going on some sort of outing where he might get lost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter