Premium for small point contract

BeachMouse1

DIS Veteran
So how much of a premium can one expect to pay on a small point contract?
Also, if you found the perfect contract right use year, right amount of points and had been looking a long time would you pay a little more than average just to get it?
I fear I’m overthinking paying $5 a point more on a 60 point contract that looks perfect for me and has some 2023 points available
Help

$5 more per point for a small contract is a steal.
Thanks I’m doing the math in my head and $5 on a 60 point contract is $300 more. On a 20 year contract it’s costing me $15 a year. $300 is a minimal cost I think to get the perfect contract for us but I read about all these amazing deals people are getting on here and it makes me feel like I’m paying too much so thanks

Also, if you found the perfect contract right use year, right amount of points and had been looking a long time would you pay a little more than average just to get it?
I fear I’m overthinking paying $5 a point more on a 60 point contract that looks perfect for me and has some 2023 points available
Help
You're describing a $300 issue and touting that it has current points you want to use. Sounds like a rounding error if the points have value to you. Any use of 60 points will exceed the $300 plus dues if you're buying those points anyway

Help
You said it! That will be your own unicorn contract! I am willing to pay a little extra for it. You're talking about extra $300 for many years of happiness....yeah take my money please!
Don't think too long...it might be gone the next time you click refresh!

Yes, I waited a year to find a september use year, 50 point contract at Copper Creek. It was listed for 175 when I saw bigger contracts for 150-165. The website (board sponsor) said they would only accept a full offer. I offered 165 anyways and they came back with 170. It was certainly a premium but I waited forever for it. This was in February for frame of reference.

You're describing a $300 issue and touting that it has current points you want to use. Sounds like a rounding error if the points have value to you. Any use of 60 points will exceed the $300 plus dues if you're buying those points anyway
Thanks hadn’t thought of it that way

Exactly. Even on a 2042 contract you're talking about paying $300 more for the remaining 1,140 points (60 x 19), or $.26 per actual point. That's an extra $15.79 on a 60-point reservation.

Exactly. Even on a 2042 contract you're talking about paying $300 more for the remaining 1,140 points (60 x 19), or $.26 per actual point. That's an extra $15.79 on a 60-point reservation.
Thanks I would Never have thought the math that way. There is so much involved and I need to learn all this

Thanks I would Never have thought the math that way. There is so much involved and I need to learn all this
Yup. $15 a year to get the contract you actually need and want is pocket change, especially if that hypothetical 60-point reservation is the equivalent of maybe 3 nights in a studio with a rack rate of $600+ per night.

Help
If you found a smaller contract you like, then that sounds like a good price to me. But I don't know how much extra people pay, per point, for smaller contracts.

When I bought direct at Polynesian a few years ago, I purchased 325 points. I had Disney divide this up into four contracts of 75 points each and one contract of 25 points. I have heard it is better to have small contracts when/if it ever comes to resale. So, I did pay extra, significantly extra since I had to pay separate closing costs for each contract, when I would have just needed to pay closing costs once, if they were all together.

Anyway, I know there is a premium on smaller contracts, but now I don't know how to value them and I'm not sure how to find out. I'm NOT interested in selling them, not at all. But I am just curious.

Back in 2010, I wanted 50-75 points at HHI with a Feb UY. Resale prices were in the $55-$60 range and direct was $80. I waited for about 3-4 months and I was never quick enough to pounce on the few small ones that popped up with my UY. They disappeared within hours. After about 3 months of trying, I gave up and bought 50 points direct. I got them the last week of January 2011 so I was able to bank the 2010 points immediately which gave me 100 points to use for 2011. I ended up using those HHI points to go to BLT in October 2011 since we'd used our AKV points to book an April 2011 trip to HHI. The extra $1000 I spent to go direct was totally worth it to me because who knows?...I might STILL be waiting for that "perfect" contract...and the prices have only gone up since then.

I have been in that position.

My first time was a VGC contract in 2017 for 50 points and I was thinking of offering like $2-5 less per point. But in thinking about it, I realized I would be more unhappy if I missed out over $100-250 for the contract because someone else went full price. So, I bid full price and got the contract. No regrets when I think of the enjoyment I have gotten out of the points and that I could sell it now for almost twice what I paid then.

And then last year, it was the same with an AKV contract for 50 points. I initially offered $7 less, but it was a bidding war. So, I came up to full price and got the contract (I would have only saved $350 for the contract at the lower price). This is also when Disney was buying back like crazy so it made it safer for ROFR. In hindsight, it is kind of painful looking at the prices now as it is a lot less than I paid. But I am still happy with the contract and was just what I needed to boost the number of points in my secondary UY.

I have been in that position.

My first time was a VGC contract in 2017 for 50 points and I was thinking of offering like $2-5 less per point. But in thinking about it, I realized I would be more unhappy if I missed out over $100-250 for the contract because someone else went full price. So, I bid full price and got the contract. No regrets when I think of the enjoyment I have gotten out of the points and that I could sell it now for almost twice what I paid then.

And then last year, it was the same with an AKV contract for 50 points. I initially offered $7 less, but it was a bidding war. So, I came up to full price and got the contract (I would have only saved $350 for the contract at the lower price). This is also when Disney was buying back like crazy so it made it safer for ROFR. In hindsight, it is kind of painful looking at the prices now as it is a lot less than I paid. But I am still happy with the contract and was just what I needed to boost the number of points in my secondary UY.
Thank you we didn’t haggle much and now out to ROFR and hopefully will pass. We are happy with what we are getting so a few extra dollars over the years i rather have the piece of mind knowing we got what we want

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter