Premature goalie celebration on a penalty kick

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
I've seen something similar before, but this one is really good. The kick hits the top bar but the spin is just crazy. The goalie celebrates, runs past the ball during the celebration, and then starts running back after he sees the ball is heading back and into the goal.

The similar one I've seen was a goalie who actually thought he stopped a ball, but the spin on it after the initial contact caused it to curl back into the goal. He didn't realize that anything happened because he turned his back to the ball while he thumped his chest. Found video of that one.

Reminds me of a Patrick Roy save from decades ago. He made a big flashy ‘save’ and showboated and it turned out he missed and the other team scored.

I loathe Patrick Roy.

Reminds me of a Patrick Roy save from decades ago. He made a big flashy ‘save’ and showboated and it turned out he missed and the other team scored.

I loathe Patrick Roy.

He just thought he had it in his glove, right? Wasn’t that was a live play?

He just thought he had it in his glove, right? Wasn’t that was a live play?

What do you mean a live play? He thought he made an awesome glove save and it turned out the puck was behind him.

I’m going to be very honest here and I’m sorry if I come off rude. I’m not trying to be. This post is fine and I have no problem talking to you but when you go out of your way to Google articles and list a six paragraph answer, I lose interest. And honestly, I think others do too.

If I wanted a really in-depth study of what I’m talking about, I know how to Google. When I’m looking for quick, easy conversation, I come to the DIS.

I think you have a lot of interesting thoughts and comments but when it’s bogged down by 20 links, your message gets lost.

Just a friendly piece of advice and observation. You can of course ignore it, I don’t run the boards. :flower3:

So what prompted the post on this? There are tons of Youtube "don't celebrate too early" videos. There's not really much of a discussion to be had IMO. There's no real controversy, I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Should we all post videos from Youtube that we like?

So what prompted the post on this? There are tons of Youtube "don't celebrate too early" videos. There's not really much of a discussion to be had IMO. There's no real controversy, I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Should we all post videos from Youtube that we like?

I think it was all over SportsCenter last night. I know I've seen it tweeted a couple dozen times this morning (the first video)

What do you mean a live play? He thought he made an awesome glove save and it turned out the puck was behind him.

I meant “live” as in live action and not a penalty shot without a chance to play the puck again. If your example is what I think it was, he thought he made the save, but another player whacked at the puck while he raised his glove in celebration. Heck, that makes it even more egregious because players should know that they have to worry about rebounds.

Well of COURSE you’re an expert on Habs hockey from the ‘90s. I should have expected nothing less.

Man, to be a fly on your wall for one day would be fascinating.

You don’t get the difference between a save on a live play and a penalty shot?

So maybe I got the wrong play here? It wasn’t Avs-Red Wings where it was tapped in after he raised his glove?

I assume this is the play that Kim is talking about... (see, I can Google too ;) )

That’s the one I was thinking of. Not sure if she was thinking the same since the Canadiens were mentioned later.

Reminds me of this:
DeSean Jackson dropped the ball as part of a celebration before actually reaching the endzone. Fumble.

Reminds me of this:
DeSean Jackson dropped the ball as part of a celebration before actually reaching the endzone. Fumble.

That’s pretty common, but never gets old. Leon Lett was famous for it. Happened last year in the Cal-Texas game in Berkeley. A Cal player was breaking away and had nothing stopping him except himself trying to time a drop right as he crossed the goal line. It went to an officials replay which ruled that he dropped it at the 1 yd line. A Texas player casually picked it up in the end zone about five seconds later and handed the ball to an official. By rule it was placed at the spot of the fumble because the play was ruled dead (called a TD on the field) and nobody jumped on the ball immediately. The rule allows one chance to recover a fumble even if the whistle blows, but it has to be recovered immediately which is subjective.

I loathe Patrick Roy.

The same thing happened to the Bruins' Gerry Cheevers back in the 1970s. He thought he made a spectacular save and showboated a bit, but the puck was still in the crease and a NY Ranger tapped it into the goal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!