Pregnant ladies treated mean - any stories?

Unfortunately that is the way people are now a days. About 13 years ago I worked in Down Town Boston. I was about 21. I would see it a lot when on the train. Whenever a PG woman or Elderly woman would get on, I would look to see if a man would give up his seat and sometimes they did but most of the time I would give up mine.

I would like to say that not all pregnant women want to sit down. So if a pg woman says "no thank you" when you offer your seat, just deal with it.

My knees were blown from about 20 weeks, and the process of getting up and down, even before my belly got really big, was incredibly painful, so standing up was much better for me. People just hated that I wouldn't sit down, and then I got my nasty pg woman attitude towards those people, and no one was happy at the end.

I have never been more bugged to sit down and to sit on certain surfaces (DH's friend had several gatherings while I was pg and I liked sitting on the floor instead of the ridiculously squishy, suck-you-in and need help to get out, couch, and people tweaked about THAT, too) than when I was pregnant.

So not every pregnant woman wants you to give up your seat, and if someone says "no", please don't cause ugliness by pushing the issue.

Thank you.

(and when I offer up a seat or open a door for a woman OR man, I just enjoy it, rather than get an attitude towards the others who didn't)

How sad! I am sorry so many people have had such awful experiences!

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that those types of experiences did not happen to us on our last trip. Many times we boarded *extremely* full buses, but someone always gave up seats for my children (either myself or DH would hold the baby while seated.) They even helped us with our stroller on multiple occasions. I was so soooooooooo surprised! We were profusely thankful. Maybe because it was the holiday season and people were in holiday moods??? We are planning a return trip at the end of the year - wonder if we we will have the same experience?

Again, sorry so many pp's had problems - that is just not right. Thanks to those pp's who are teaching their young ones how to do the right thing.

When I was 17 and a Senior in High School, My school's Jazz Band was offered the opportunity to play at Magic Music Days at WDW. It was June before my senior year and I was 6 months pregnant with my DD. We were taking two buses from Missouri to WDW because a lot of parents wanted to go. Everyone gets on the buses and of course I was the last one on the bus because I had to use the potty Just One More Time. The only seat remaining was the seat that had the engine to the bus underneath. You couldn't feel the air conditioning AT ALL for the entire 26 hour trip!!! And I couldn't put my window down because that made the parent behind me hot. My BF was sitting next to me through the trip and asked several times if someone would be willing to trade with me. All of the parents refused to let their children change seats because it wasn't their fault I was in that condition and their children didn't have to suffer for me!!! (Never thought that about my friends, I was just wanting some airconditioning every now and then). Needless to say, on our return trip home, I was the FIRST on the bus and I was NO WHERE NEAR that seat that had the engine underneath.

. I was really shocked at the rudeness. Why would people act like that? Anyone else have similar stories? Jane[/QUOTE said:
Mine doesn't involve pregnancy just rude people... but yes, I believe you about how outright rude these women were. Last summer my DH and I went to King's Island and while we were there it just began to downpour so we ran into this overhang that had seating. We sat down at at his metal table that had the benches attached to it and were chatting with each other when this women of about 40-45 years old begins kicking the bench on the other side of the table-HARD. She was sitting at a table behind us but completeely turned aroud doing this like it was her mission in life to annoy the snot out of us- we weren't sure if we were on a episode of bioling point or Punk'd or what. Any ways so my DH goes up to get something to dring (hoping that she will just stop) She doesn't. He comes back. Other people begin commenting on how rude she is because she is kicking so hard thhe metal is just reverberating so finally I ask her to please stop. She says "I'LL DO WHAT I ^%$ WELL PLEASE" :eek: :scared1: and her DH just sits there! I aske her again nicely and she starts cursing at me and being really foul. So this couple came out looking for a seat and who do you think offered them the other side of our table? Why we did of course! Boy was that lady ticked! When they sat down She got up with her husband and walked off INTO THE RAIN. NO JOKE! My DH and I just about fell out on the floor. I do not know what is wrong with people anymore......:sad2: :eek:

Suzanna you reminded me of when I was pregnant with my eldest too- I was 17 (turned 18 before she was born) and I had to ride the bus to school daily only here in England we don't have specified school buses, just standard public buses and everyday when I'd get on it was standing room only and everyday grown men would look the other way and pretend they couldn't see the very pregnant person standing on a very hilly, bumpy bus ride and everyday it was 9/10/11 year old middle school children who would offer me a seat. I've never forgotten it and will always offer my seat to pregnant women now!

On the flipside though I have to say some people are very quick to judge - my eldest son is special needs but to look at him he looks entirely "normal" (as much as i hate to use the term) however on a bus he NEEDS a seat because he has difficulty with his motor skills, balance etc. If I give up my seat for him or stand and give someone else my seat and leave him sitting there are always looks/comments about gentlemen and boys not being taught manners in this day and age but if any of them had to cope like my son does with his day in, day out issues and still appear "normal" to society then they'd think twice.

Mine doesn't involve pregnancy just rude people... but yes, I believe you about how outright rude these women were. Last summer my DH and I went to King's Island and while we were there it just began to downpour so we ran into this overhang that had seating. We sat down at at his metal table that had the benches attached to it and were chatting with each other when this women of about 40-45 years old begins kicking the bench on the other side of the table-HARD. She was sitting at a table behind us but completeely turned aroud doing this like it was her mission in life to annoy the snot out of us- we weren't sure if we were on a episode of bioling point or Punk'd or what. Any ways so my DH goes up to get something to dring (hoping that she will just stop) She doesn't. He comes back. Other people begin commenting on how rude she is because she is kicking so hard thhe metal is just reverberating so finally I ask her to please stop. She says "I'LL DO WHAT I ^%$ WELL PLEASE" :eek: :scared1: and her DH just sits there! I aske her again nicely and she starts cursing at me and being really foul. So this couple came out looking for a seat and who do you think offered them the other side of our table? Why we did of course! Boy was that lady ticked! When they sat down She got up with her husband and walked off INTO THE RAIN. NO JOKE! My DH and I just about fell out on the floor. I do not know what is wrong with people anymore......:sad2: :eek:

Jeez - That almost sounds like a mentally ill person, although you'd think if that was the case, the people she was with would try to "redirect her attention.":sad2:

Jeez - That almost sounds like a mentally ill person, although you'd think if that was the case, the people she was with would try to "redirect her attention.":sad2:

No, her DH STOOD UP for her and told us that we should just deal with it and that she had the right to do what ever she wanted to because it was AMERICA........... and yes, they were Americans. If I wasn't a Christian.......

Reminds me of a funny learning lesson for my two boys last year at Disney while on the monorail. We were glad to get into the monorail AC one evening after a long day at the parks. My two boys plopped down on the last seating area available....until the next stop. This elderly woman and I assume her very pregnant granddaughter stepped on board. Noone else in the monorail moved to allow them to sit down! I was appalled at the men, including my husband who is usually very gallant, but oblivious this time around! I looked at my oldest son (age 10) with that "Mother" look and nodded toward the ladies, my son got right up and dragged his 7 yo brother with him and offered his seat to the ladies in question. They were very pleased and took their seats. I then proceeded to publicly thank my son for being the ONLY gentleman on the monorail that night! That got my DH's attention for sure. After that, my DS would always offer his seat the rest of the trip trying to outdo Dad every time!

You are raising those boys right. Good for you!

When I was expecting my first DD I was taking my last summer session in college. I was taking the 3rd course under this certain professor and she was the only on eteaching it that summer. I knew that it would not be fun under her, but it was one of those classes that I had to have then or it would put my graduating a 2 semeters late. Anyway this was June and I was due late August--supposed to be during break---After the third class I asked her since no one was sitting at the table may I sit there since I could barely fit in the desk. She quickly told me no--that is where her stuff was--that I could sit sideways, on the floor, or bring a chair to sit in :scared1: She said this with the nastiest of nasty attitudes. To this day I cringe thinking about it.

When I was very pregnant with my daughter I stupidly went to Walmart the morning of black Friday. I was standing near the toy aisle waiting to be able to grab my silly Little People set when the sale started when I was literally rammed by a woman with a cart and knocked to the side. A man standing near me helped me up and told the woman, "Lady, she's pregnant" and the lady just looked at him like she didn't care (obviously!) and so I just said "Merry Christmas" to the crazy rude lady, thanked the nice man and left. I should have known better to go out on black Friday and I haven't been out since. It seems like that day brings out the worst in people anyway and it's just not worth messing with them.

I have 2 stories of people being rude while I was pregnant with DS. Both on the train on my way to work, two days apart.

The first was on a very crowded train. I get on at the end of the line, but for whatever reason, the train was already half full when I got on (some sort of delay on the line, so in order to get seats, the people from the next stop up took the train one stop in the opposite direction...happens a lot, but not normally with that many people). I was able to get an end seat with no troubles. But, three stops up, another pregnant lady got on. She appeared to be a few weeks further along than I was (and I had just shy of 8 weeks to go). When it was obvious to me that no one was going to offer her a seat, I caught her eye and offered mine to her. She was very greatful, and accepted. As I got up to let her sit, another woman tried to slide in before she could get in. I very kindly told her that I had offered it to this lady, who appared to need it a bit more than her. She, of course, decided to use the excuse that she got on at the previous stop, and should have it first...to which I replied that I got on at the very first stop, and since I was on before her, I got to pick who got my seat...she wasn't happy! Oh well! And by that time, the other pregnant lady saw that I was pregnant also, and started to refuse the seat. I told her not to worry, and that she appeared to be a bit further along, so she should have it. She did sit, and was very greatful. It took two more stops before a teenage boy realized that one pregnant lady had just given up her seat for another pregnant lady, and offered me his seat. He took off his headphones and said that his mom would kill him if she found out he didn't give up his seat to a pregnant lady. I thanked him, and told him to let his mom know she was doing a wonderful job raising him!

Two days later, I was on my way to work again. Not as crowded, but it was late June, in DC...very hot and humid. So I wasn't actually dressed in work clothes...they were already at work for me to change into when I got there. I was in shorts, t-shirt and sandles. I was 27 and married, though didn't realize I looked all that much younger than that. My fingers had already swollen like a blimp, so my wedding band was displayed nicely on a chain around my neck, rather than on my finger. I got up a couple of stops before my stop, and heard these two older women (I put them to be in their upper 50's/early 60's) talking rather loudly about how teenagers these days will sleep with anyone, and get knocked up with unwanted babies. Then one of them looked at me and said, "yeah, that one will probably be raised by her mother!" While motioning over at me with her head. I, of course, couldn't just stand there and let them talk about me like that...so I let them know that I was not a teenager, but rather was 27 years old, was in fact married...had been for going on 2 years, and showed them my wedding band on the chain. That this was my second pregnancy...the first, unfortunately had ended in misscarriage...and that not only was this child wanted, but that he was very well planned for, and that our son would be very well cared for, by my husband and I. I could see they were a bit uncomfortable at this point, but I couldn't let it go at that, and added "and oh, by the way, while I would love for my mother to help raise my child, that simply is not possible because she died from cancer two years ago...two months before I got married. So maybe you'll do what She taught me next time, and think twice before saying something so negative about someone else. Especially when you know nothing about that person, or their situation!" By the time I got off at my stop, everyone around me was cheering.

Okay, we are heading to WDW next month. The 18-23rd to be exact. I'll be 23 weeks pregnant. If anyone is rude to me, I'll give them a piece if my mind, so watch out.... :) LOL

It's not just directed at pregnant ladies... My major pet peeve at WDW was when little kids who couldn't reach the darn rails were left in the middle of the bus, trying to balance themselves. The person who wasn't holding onto the 2 year old in our party would offer up our seat- we'd also put our 2 year old and then-7 year old on our lap to open up a seat for another person. I just think it's the polite thing to do. I am so glad my entire family, from youngest to oldest, realizes that being gracious isn't a difficult thing to do and that it's the RIGHT thing to do.

I was very happy at DLR this last week when a couple offered us their seat waiting for lunch at the Blue Bayou- we didn't need it, another seat had just opened up, but it made me smile. The simplest things you can do for strangers can really make a person's day.

It's not just directed at pregnant ladies... My major pet peeve at WDW was when little kids who couldn't reach the darn rails were left in the middle of the bus, trying to balance themselves. The person who wasn't holding onto the 2 year old in our party would offer up our seat- we'd also put our 2 year old and then-7 year old on our lap to open up a seat for another person. I just think it's the polite thing to do. I am so glad my entire family, from youngest to oldest, realizes that being gracious isn't a difficult thing to do and that it's the RIGHT thing to do.

I was very happy at DLR this last week when a couple offered us their seat waiting for lunch at the Blue Bayou- we didn't need it, another seat had just opened up, but it made me smile. The simplest things you can do for strangers can really make a person's day.

This happened to my DS one morning on the way to MK. The bus was PACKED. DH and I were both standing, and DS was kind of wedged between us. He was probably 9 at the time but he was (and still is) very small. He couldn't reach anything to hang on to. So the bus starts moving and DS falls smack into a lady's lap! :scared1: She wasn't rude to him, but it was pretty obvious that he should have been sitting down since he was too short to stand up safely. I am all for him giving up his seat as long as he can ride safely standing up. Otherwise, he needs to remain seated.

I am pregnant with our third child and the other day I was at a baseball game for the middle school. It is fairly obvious that I am pregnant and nearby our daughters were playing. I have always looked young for my age and a woman there said I did not look old enough to have three children. Then she asked how old I was, and how old my oldest was. I was so shocked someone had the gall to be so rude as if it was her business. I walked away before she asked how long I had been married when my daughter was born! :lol

I wasn't pregnant at the time, but I WAS carrying 2 toddlers.

Once on a trip to Disney - we were out late night for the Halloween Party at MK. It was nearing 10 and my kids were POOPED, so we decided to head back to the hotel. DS fell asleep in the stroller and DD wasn't far behind. We got to the buses and the bus stop was packed. DH folded up the stroller and I was holding both kids, while he carried the stroller and all our packages.

I got on the bus and there was not 1 seat. I stood for 30 minutes holding 2 sleeping toddlers and not one fully able bodied person stood to offer me their seat. It was horrible. The people on the bus wouldn't even look me in the eye. We were staying at Boardwalk and the bus had to make stops at Yacht and Beach AND Swan and Dolphin! Finally, the bus driver made an announcement over the speaker and suggested that perhaps if there was a gentleman on board, he would be willing to offer the "woman struggling with two toddlers" a seat. :rotfl:

Finally, the bus driver made an announcement over the speaker and suggested that perhaps if there was a gentleman on board, he would be willing to offer the "woman struggling with two toddlers" a seat. :rotfl:

I guess it's better late than never he made the announcement, but geez....:confused:

Yup! We've had our boys who were then 4 and 3 standing on the bus while my mother and I tried to hold on to them (we were also standing of course). There were mostly parents with children nearby us so I understand why none of them would offer their seats, but I'm sure the entire bus wasn't filled with small children and their mothers holding them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter