Preference Between Cast Members Using Your iPhone or DSLR's for Photos?

JVivlemore

Earning My Ears
I'll be there next week and with my 2 year old who will likely want me to be in the pictures with her (or hold her I'm guessing) so I doubt I'll be able to take the pictures like I have for my boys. I know that the cast members will use a personal camera or phone but does anyone have experience with what gives you better results? I'm leaning towards the DSLR zoomed in slightly but wanted the groups opinion here? The phone is definitely easier and more user friendly but I'm concerned about it not focusing properly and getting a blurred picture. Anyone have experience with either and have a preference?

I'm not an AP holder so the thought of using the park to take all of our pictures with their camera and then paying $10+ for each picture and spending $200-$300 on her first trip for pictures alone isn't ideal if I can avoid it since I want to allow her to buy things around the park.

How long are you going to be in DLR? I mostly ask because the one day PP+ is $39 and the one-week option is $78.

Personally, I would probably alternate between the two devices depending on who I am asking to take my photo. You can always ask the Photopass Photographers to use your camera to take photos, so for them, I would give them the DSLR. For the regular CMs, I would probably ask them to take the photos with the phone just because not everyone is familiar/comfortable using a DSLR (not to mention different DSLRs are set up differently).

Tuesday evening, all day Wednesday, and planning on all day Thursday too. I didn't know a non AP member could do the PP+. Is that true?

I've had VERY mixed experiences with the quality of the photopass photographers photos I've had them take in the past. I almost feel like they have settings they are told to use but might not neccessarily alter them or adjust as needed based on conditions because about 30% are never in focus. I'd love to pay $39 or $78 and not worry about it (assuming everyone has had great experiences with it before).

Tuesday evening, all day Wednesday, and planning on all day Thursday too. I didn't know a non AP member could do the PP+. Is that true?
I've never used PP+, but I'm pretty sure anyone can buy it. It's included for free for high level AP's, so that's probably what you're thinking about.

I thought non-AP holders could purchase PP+. I saw mention of it on the Disneyland Photopass webpage.
Disney PhotoPass+
Purchase one day or one week of all your available Disney PhotoPass photos, select attraction photos and select dining photos as digital downloads to share with family and friends. All this is included with Magic Shots and Animated Magic Shots, for one magical price!

I've had mixed results using PP+, but more on the good side than the bad side. I agree that they don't necessarily go out and hire folks with photography training, but I think that most will try to take "good" photos. I haven't gotten that many that were blurry or out of focus. That being said, you can always ask the PP to use your own camera (you just won't get the attraction photos or magic shots).

Sure enough. Non AP holders can purchase it like the 1st reply mentioned for those prices. $78 is soooo worth it. I'm sold.

I feel like someone who just discovered that a smartphone exists or something. Happy News! Lol.

I just bought PP+ a few days ago for our trip next week (we go on average every 18 months so no AP here). We did it for the first time a little over a year ago and we were very happy with how the pictures turned out.

I would definitely vote DSLR and just give it to them in P or auto. They are photographers and know their way around a camera. I wouldn't even set the zoom, they know how to work it and will probably take a couple wide and close for you. Ultimately the iPhone pictures are just too wide and you can't get any good close ups.

I've had VERY mixed experiences with the quality of the photopass photographers photos I've had them take in the past. I almost feel like they have settings they are told to use but might not neccessarily alter them or adjust as needed based on conditions because about 30% are never in focus. I'd love to pay $39 or $78 and not worry about it (assuming everyone has had great experiences with it before).
I agree with you on this one!
What I have learned when using the PP+ is to have the CM take LOTS of SHOTS! They haven't seemed to mind my request.
I let them know right up front I'm going to what MULTIPLE shot to be sure I get at least one that turns out.

I use the same method even when I have them use my camera or cell to take pics.
With digital pic it's so easy.

My early early Disney trips were before the digital age. You never knew what you had until the film was processed.

Any more I tend to just use my cell phone for in the parks. I did take my Nikon D90 last Oct when my DGS proposed to his DGF. I was incharge of capturing the moment. It shoots 4-frames a second. I think I had 50 shots before he got down on his knee. His sister was videoing with her I-Phone. So we got it all.

I have no trouble handing my cell or D-90 over to a CM to take a group photo. They seem happy to help out.

Enjoy you time in the parks. I hope the weather is great for you.

Geemo

I've never had any reservations about handing my DSLR to a CM to take photos. I prefer not to have it in all my photos anyway. I set it where I want and show them which button to push. I do have to remind a fair number of them how to use an optical viewfinder though. ;)

Just don't forget to switch it to multi point auto focus or full auto mode before handing it over.

Most PPs aren't professional photographers. Some are just CMs who were assigned that position. They're given a camera with settings for the lighting in their assigned area at the start of their shift. This is especially true with the spots that have tripods. They're not supposed to change the settings. When I get bad pictures it's usually because either they've tried to change the settings and didn't know what they were doing or the lighting has changed since they checked out the camera. I don't know what results you expect from handing over a DSLR, but I'd give it to them on auto and wide angle around 24 (18 is overkill) to get the best photo that many PPs can give you.

I have an Android phone. I did 3 photo ops yesterday. I got 2 shots at each and all but 1 are blurry. My phone has autofocus, so I thought that might be it, but all the pictures I took myself are fine. You might have better result with an iPhone because the CMs are probably used to them. If you want something in between I'd probably bring a fast point and shoot camera that's easy for them to use.

I shoot manual and leave my camera in manual. While waiting in line I meter for the scene with the people up there, adjust my settings and put the focus box smack in the middle then I hand it to the CM and say, "Hold this button in (I back button focus) and press this button." I tend to close down my ap a little more than I'd normally shoot so everyone ends up in focus. I've only had this method go south on me twice, both times the CMs went rogue and tried to get fancy adjusting my camera. So I added "It's all set up" when I hand it to them. The couple of times I've put it in ap priority and multi focus it was a straight up disaster. If you watch the CMs they focus/recompose so it's best to leave it in Single Point IMO.

Generally we utilize PP+, my camera and oldest DD hands them her phone. We cover our bases, lol. That said, I've done Disneyland 100% iPhone and not regretted it. If you're nervous handing a regular CM your camera, hand them your phone and save the camera for the photo CMs. I've found all of them pretty adept at using just about any kind of camera though. Heck, they do it 100s of times every single day.

When I hand over the DSLR I just get my settings right beforehand. When the group ahead of us is taking pictures I snap a few adjust my settings (and delete the pictures) and then hand it over. You could also use a aperture or shutter priority mode when handing off. Warning though, if you usually use back-button focus, make sure to turn that off otherwise your pictures will be crap.

I always get the PP+ and give my DSLR over to the cast member, better odds of getting something decent. Though I will say unless you carry a flash with you, the PP+ pictures from inside areas (i.e. Ariel's Grotto and the Meet n Greets for Elsa/Anna, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, etc.) will be better than yours. Even when I bump my ISO (which my 6D can totally handle) the Shadows are TERRIBLE. Seriously awful, lol.

Something to keep in mind is that you can purchase the PP+ one day OR one week AFTER your trip. So you can take a look at all the pictures on your computer and decide if it is worth the $$.

Thanks everyone. If I do the combo PP+ option and also hand them my camera (Sony A6000 in auto mode) do I hand it to the CM or the actual photographer to juggle with their own? I was loving the idea of not getting that camera out but figure that will generate better results than my iphone would since they always seem to stand so far away when using a phone in the past.

Thanks everyone. If I do the combo PP+ option and also hand them my camera (Sony A6000 in auto mode) do I hand it to the CM or the actual photographer to juggle with their own? I was loving the idea of not getting that camera out but figure that will generate better results than my iphone would since they always seem to stand so far away when using a phone in the past.
They wear harnesses or have tripods so they won't be fumbling. You can hand to either/or. Usually one or the other will reach for it when you hold it towards them. We even set our bags near them as we're heading up so they don't clutter up the shot. (they're fine with this) This is what they do, they'll guide you, no worries. :goodvibes

When I hand over the DSLR I just get my settings right beforehand. When the group ahead of us is taking pictures I snap a few adjust my settings (and delete the pictures) and then hand it over. You could also use a aperture or shutter priority mode when handing off. Warning though, if you usually use back-button focus, make sure to turn that off otherwise your pictures will be crap.

I always get the PP+ and give my DSLR over to the cast member, better odds of getting something decent. Though I will say unless you carry a flash with you, the PP+ pictures from inside areas (i.e. Ariel's Grotto and the Meet n Greets for Elsa/Anna, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, etc.) will be better than yours. Even when I bump my ISO (which my 6D can totally handle) the Shadows are TERRIBLE. Seriously awful, lol.

Something to keep in mind is that you can purchase the PP+ one day OR one week AFTER your trip. So you can take a look at all the pictures on your computer and decide if it is worth the $$.
I swear they set up those Princess meets for failure. It's a colorcast/mixed lighting nightmare. I'm pretty adept with a flash or even riding the CM's flash but unless you're letting me bring in stands and soft boxes they're just going to be sad, lol.

I've never had issues with back button focus, I just tell them to hold the button in. Even if they let up on it if they've locked focus, I'm closed down enough that it should be good.

Believe me, they are used to wrangling 2 cameras. Even pretty large ones.
I swear they set up those Princess meets for failure. It's a colorcast/mixed lighting nightmare. I'm pretty adept with a flash or even riding the CM's flash but unless you're letting me bring in stands and soft boxes they're just going to be sad, lol.

I've never had issues with back button focus, I just tell them to hold the button in. Even if they let up on it if they've locked focus, I'm closed down enough that it should be good.

I know, right? For a permanent photo spot, some of those meet and greet locations are awful! Like they were set up for failure.

I do the same as mentioned above with a DSLR, especially for characters - I use the people ahead of me as test subjects for my settings. Actually, I do that even if I'm not going to be in the picture. I think everything with the camera has turned out pretty well.

right? they are AWFUL!!!!!!!

And you are lucky. I told them every time and my pictures were still all out of focus the entire first day (any pictures that I had handed the camera off). I was glad I had brought a computer to transfer the files over so I could turn off the BBF for the rest of the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!