Pre-Loading Room Account - Can I be Sneaky?

Missypyxi

Mouseketeer
So, last time we went on a cruise, my dear MIL paid the entire bill. I love my MIL soooo much! Even when we tried to give her a visa gift card with the money we'd saved for the trip, she gave it back to us and said it was her pleasure.

This time, it's a 7 day WC on the Fantasy. MIL has reserved adjoining verandah rooms for the 4 of us (one for DH and I, and one for DS and MIL), and the reservations are linked. Did I mention how much I love my MIL? :love:

I'm wondering, though, if I can load cash onto our cabin's account only, so I can get things like drinks and souvenirs and not feel so bad about charging a bunch of purchases to the room. If I do that, will the amount I load on cover both rooms, or just mine and DH's? Can I do it ahead of time to be sneaky, so she doesn't tell me not to?

Hopefully, Mom doesn't read this or recognize me. If she does... Hi, Mom! :blush

So, last time we went on a cruise, my dear MIL paid the entire bill. I love my MIL soooo much! Even when we tried to give her a visa gift card with the money we'd saved for the trip, she gave it back to us and said it was her pleasure.

This time, it's a 7 day WC on the Fantasy. MIL has reserved adjoining verandah rooms for the 4 of us (one for DH and I, and one for DS and MIL), and the reservations are linked. Did I mention how much I love my MIL? :love:

I'm wondering, though, if I can load cash onto our cabin's account only, so I can get things like drinks and souvenirs and not feel so bad about charging a bunch of purchases to the room. If I do that, will the amount I load on cover both rooms, or just mine and DH's? Can I do it ahead of time to be sneaky, so she doesn't tell me not to?

Hopefully, Mom doesn't read this or recognize me. If she does... Hi, Mom! :blush

You can either call DCL and pay ahead into your onboard account. Or go to the In-Room Gifts section on the DCL website, download the pdf file (gifts order form), and buy OBC to be applied to your room.

Just had a thought: if you used a TA to make the reservations, you'd have to go through them to add cash to your onboard account ahead of time. But you could still purchase OBC using the form on the website.

You can also bring cash and have guest services add it directly to your room account.

You can also bring cash and have guest services add it directly to your room account.

This is what I'd prefer to do. It seems like the easiest route to take. I just wasn't sure if, since our reservation is linked, it would just go to our room or cover both rooms. Thanks !

This is what I'd prefer to do. It seems like the easiest route to take. I just wasn't sure if, since our reservation is linked, it would just go to our room or cover both rooms. Thanks !

You can specifically earmark it for their cabin. Just go to the guest service and tell them you want to add x amount of dollars to cabin xxxx's account.

MJ

Just my 2 cents. Let her enjoy what she can do for you. There will be a time in the not too distant future where she will need your help and then you can say Mom remember all the wonderful things you did for our family let me help you now.

Just my 2 cents. Let her enjoy what she can do for you. There will be a time in the not too distant future where she will need your help and then you can say Mom remember all the wonderful things you did for our family let me help you now.
I agree and have been in your shoes with my own grandparents. I didn't get how happy it made them to do these things for us. We buried my grandfather in Arlington last week and my grandmother talked and talked about the trips we all went on as a family with him. Just let her do it :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I agree with the sentiment, but on the other side of the coin, sometimes it's nice to have a little of our own money on the account to buy things that you would never ask someone else to buy you. Whenever my mother visits, she insists on taking everyone to dinner- I want to let her do that but at the same time I just don't feel right ordering an appetizer, main, dessert, that extra glass of wine, etc on the tab like I would if I was paying. Completely fine when it's one dinner but on a cruise I would understand wanting a little money so I don't feel guilty getting an extra drink or buying some great but pricey souvenir.

Do you have to use a debit/credit card to pay my account or can I write a check? I'm worried about my daily balance with my debit card :(

is this mom??? lol

Do you have to use a debit/credit card to pay my account or can I write a check? I'm worried about my daily balance with my debit card :(

You can use cash, I'm not sure about a check but they do cash checks at Guest Services so that is probably acceptable as well. No requirement to have a debit/credit card attached.

Enjoy your cruise!

It's nice to hear of a good MIL-DIL relationship. I'm a little jealous, actually. I don't get on well with my MIL. I have to work very hard just to keep things civil.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your trip.

You can pay cash for stuff onboard, too, right? Like in the gift shops? I'd go that route and let the MIL pay for the rest She sounds awesome!

You can pay cash for stuff onboard, too, right? Like in the gift shops? I'd go that route and let the MIL pay for the rest She sounds awesome!

Don't know about the gift shops as we used our KTTW card there but the rest of the ship is cashless so if you want to play bingo or order a drink from a roving server you would hand over your card then they swipe it and hand it right back.

I am still new but aside from our experience it seems like I read about the cashless system on the DCL website FAQs l.

Don't know about the gift shops as we used our KTTW card there but the rest of the ship is cashless so if you want to play bingo or order a drink from a roving server you would hand over your card then they swipe it and hand it right back.

I am still new but aside from our experience it seems like I read about the cashless system on the DCL website FAQs l.

You can't use cash in the gift shop but you can use Disney Gift Cards (and you can apply Disney Gift Cards to your onboard account as well; and if you are trying to save $ you can use your Target credit/debit card to buy the Disney Gift Cards and save 5%!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!