Pre-Cruise Suggestions Please

TwistGrl101

DIS Veteran
Good morning,

We are doing a 3 night cruise, and I am trying to decide where to spend the 3 nights we have before the cruise. We are already going to Disney after.
I was looking into the Cocoa Beach suggestions, but those hotels seem to be more of a “place to sleep for one night.”
I’m looking for my first 3 nights to kick off our vacation, somewhere where the kids will be entertained and we can get into vacation mode before the cruise. Still torn between renting a car/using car service to get from MCO and then to the port.
Currently, I am leaning towards staying at an off property resort/timeshare in the Orlando area.

So, besides in a Disney resort, where have you all kicked off your vacation for 3-4 nights before cruising? I am open to any “outside of the box” suggestions! :)

St Augustine. You could fly into Jacksonville, rent a car and then return it at the port.
It's a beach location. Has some history. Has some traiditonal ghost walks and museums too. Plenty of hotels, condos, air b&b. Outlet mall is also along the way if that interest you as well.

Have you considered going to Universal ? Kennedy Space Center is a one day visit. There is also Legoland which is a bit far but not so much If you have a car.

St Augustine. You could fly into Jacksonville, rent a car and then return it at the port.
It's a beach location. Has some history. Has some traiditonal ghost walks and museums too. Plenty of hotels, condos, air b&b. Outlet mall is also along the way if that interest you as well.
How far is the ride from St Augustine to the port? I considered a nice beach area, but then figured we’ll be in the Bahamas in a few days, so was thinking something with a great pool area instead. But totally up for this option, too. Thanks!

We rented an Airbnb condo in Cape Canaveral for 4 nights before our cruise in March. We did a day at Sea World and putted around the area. The beach we could walk to was disappointing but we liked the area. We skipped the Space Center because DD isn't quite old enough to be really interested and it was expensive for something she'd just whine through. We decided we'll do it in a few years when she's more interested. We're doing a 4 night cruise over Christmas next year and I've been toying with ideas for before/after. Right now I'm leaning toward a condo near WDW and hitting Animal Kingdom. We did 2 days at Magic Kingdom last year and didn't enjoy ourselves that much but as we're learning how we like to travel as a family we've realized the things we didn't enjoy can be changed. First it was too hot for us mid-late May, December in Florida is probably more our temperature preference. The standard room at AOA was way too small for us. We don't just sleep in our room, we need downtime in a comfortable place. It looks like I can rent a condo with a kitchen and separate bedroom for about the same price.

Have you considered going to Universal ? Kennedy Space Center is a one day visit. There is also Legoland which is a bit far but not so much If you have a car.
Park tickets for 6 of us isn’t really in my budget 😩 but I was considering doing Cabana Bay and pool hopping for a few days. Not sure if that becomes boring after a while. Lol

I would agree on the Sea World idea. There is also Discovery Cove to spend a day and there are 4 good hotels right there. We stayed at the Holiday Inn express a few nights last year before our 4 nights at Royal Pacific at Universal and absolutely loved it. There are enough restaurants right there as well.

How far is the ride from St Augustine to the port? I considered a nice beach area, but then figured we’ll be in the Bahamas in a few days, so was thinking something with a great pool area instead. But totally up for this option, too. Thanks!
About 3 hours of interstate. Not an issue for embarkation morning. Get up, have a breakfast, and get to port around 11.

I would agree on the Sea World idea. There is also Discovery Cove to spend a day and there are 4 good hotels right there. We stayed at the Holiday Inn express a few nights last year before our 4 nights at Royal Pacific at Universal and absolutely loved it. There are enough restaurants right there as well.
Discovery cove seems so amazing, but we are a family of 6. I think we will do the stingray excursion in CC to sort of make up for it lol 🤷‍♀️🤣

Discovery cove seems so amazing, but we are a family of 6. I think we will do the stingray excursion in CC to sort of make up for it lol 🤷‍♀️🤣
Can't lie, when my wife suggested it and I saw the price all I could think of was how much overtime do I have to do to pay for this :eek:. But the stingray excursion at CC is a lot of fun too :)

Have you looked at the Holiday Inn Vacation Club Cape Canaveral Beach Resort? They have one and two bedroom small condo type units that could fit you all and a nice pool, lazy river etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter