Postponed...

Paulaparm

DIS Veteran
We were supposed to arrive in 3 weeks for our first time camping at the Fort, but we've canceled due to covid restrictions. We went back and forth over this decision for weeks and I cannot tell you how sad I am. :(
At this point we are planning on arriving next March. Hopefully reservations will open for 2022 soon and our TA will be able to get our reservation!
I asked this quite a while back and am going to ask again, as I have been reading some varying opinions on the matter :)
We have a 37(ish) foot 5th wheel. Hubby has not had a whole lot of practice backing it in, ( we have a semi-permanent spot from April-Nov and go to the beach with a pull thru site each summer.)
Our reservation was for a preferred meadow...is that what we want? Here is what you might want to know before giving your opinion:
As stated above, ease of backing in(less stress) is a huge plus.
We will most likely not rent a golf cart but will have bikes to get around. (we could change our mind about that but we don't mind riding the bikes)
Just us 2 adults.
Being close to pool, movies, activities, etc. is not important.
We will be there 2 weeks and will visit the parks probably 10 days.
I can't think of anything else you might need to know, but if there is something, don't be afraid to ask.
Thank you! I appreciate your time and expert opinions! :)

I would reserve a Premium site and save yourself some money. Premium Meadow, just limits you to the center of the campground is all. If hubby needs a hand backing in, just ask at check in and they have Cast members that will come to your site to assist in backing in to the site. Giving directions, and they have quite a bit of experience.
Sorry you had to cancel your trip, but completely understand the whole covid issue. Below is the link to us arriving at the Fort in October. It shows how you can have some issues on the opposite side of the street from your site. Watch as I drive thru the loop and you can see where one may have issues. Practice makes perfect, empty parking lot and empty milk jugs painted orange with some water to weight them down.

Oh, and I am no Expert, just a RKI.

Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual. :thumbsup2

Silver linings...pushing the trip a year, gives you a year to get comfortable backing the trailer? I agree with PaHunter, find a parking lot and make all the mistakes and gain confidence. It becomes second nature eventually.

We like the 1100 loop which is a Premium and a short walk to Meadows Trading Post, pool etc. We have watched various You Tube videos and someone specifically made a point of showing a site we are interested in when we come in April (hopefully if the Canadian border opens) - site number 1106. It is easy to back in. Check out this couple's videos of every loop at The Fort, here is the one on the 1100 loop:

The main thing with backing up besides practice, is take it slow and dont overcorrect. So , small movements of the wheel. And dont let eveyone looking at you get to you. Everyone looks reguardless and everyone had a hard time at one point or another. They look so they can relive this feeling through you! Take your time and dont worry about it. I had my best backing in and worst at the fort. Best was backing into a pop up site with my TT. First try, around a low hanging tree and the electrical box and the other guys car. Bam. Perfection. Later in the week I moved to a large site you could back a 747 into. Took me like 20 tries to get it where i wanted. My head wasn't in the game and for the life of me i could not get the small TT into the large site. But at ths end , who cares, take your time and get it set up where you want it. No one remembered or pointed and laughed at me during my stay.

We also cancelled our ressies for this January, too many missing pieces considering the $$ needed to stay at the Fort. This will be the first time since 93 that we havent been to the Fort at least every other year.

My wife was always afraid to back the trailer. I took her to the local High school parking lot on a Sunday afternoon with a few 5 gallon pails and set up a site to back into from the right and the left. Within 30 minutes and a few tries she could get it in the first shot. Practice, practice, practice. 8-)

Unfortunately, at this point in time there aren't any pull through sites. We have the same backing up issue, except that ours is a mini-camper with a mind of his own (McT@ggert, I'm looking at you). What we've found is that people (if there are any around at the time you get to your site) are usually more than willing to help. And as others have said, take your time and be patient with yourself.

The shorter trailers can be the hardest to back up. I have done this for others a couple of times at the Fort. Most campers are very helpful, sometimes too helpful 8-)

We have a tiny popup with an 8' box. We unhitch on the street and push it into position - my kids are usually mortified but it's amusing for spectators. My husband hasn't been able to get the hang of it even after dozens of trips and people tell us that these short ones are the most difficult. I've been wanting to practice in a parking lot (for 6 years!) but we don't keep it at home and it's a pain to go get it.

We have a tiny popup with an 8' box. We unhitch on the street and push it into position

We usually unhitch and roll it back too. We leave the front wheel of the hitch (we have a Jack-e-up) on the pavement, which makes it easier to re-hitch, while backing the rest up into the sand. We do this because we have a pahaque that needs to be on the sand otherwise we'd just leave the camper on the pavement.

When i had the pup i tried to push it. Lol. Thats only works for the smaller ones. Lucky i had put some 6x6 blocks down in case it got away from me. That saved me. I pushed it a bit on a very small incline, then it stsrted to come at me. Lesson learned. I cant push 3500 lbs up an incline by myself.

We have a tiny popup with an 8' box. We unhitch on the street and push it into position - my kids are usually mortified but it's amusing for spectators. My husband hasn't been able to get the hang of it even after dozens of trips and people tell us that these short ones are the most difficult. I've been wanting to practice in a parking lot (for 6 years!) but we don't keep it at home and it's a pain to go get it.

Me too, amcc.

I just get my Aliner close, then get out and push/pull/roll it to the final position. We did that back in October at the Fort DisMeet. I like to get it as far back on the pavement in the corner so that the rear stabilizers are on the edge of the pavement and the wheel nearest the power post is close to the side edge of pavement. I'm a little obsessive about it, to tell the truth.

Another advantage of being small. :magnify:

Bama Ed

So sorry about your trip - a real disappointment, I know!

As for location, I agree with the advice to 'downgrade' to a premium. The only difference between that and Meadow is location, and that seems to not be something with which you are concerned. You might as well save a few bucks!

Regarding backing in, you can get help from a CM, as mentioned. I would also mention the consideration to the CM as you check in. They know that some sites are easier than others, and a good CM can look at the available sites and intentionally choose one that is a bit easier to back into.

we have a pahaque that needs to be on the sand otherwise we'd just leave the camper on the pavement.
I had to look up "Pahaque". They make some really cool stuff for the teardrop trailers. Almost makes me want to get one... almost. Actually, if I just did weekend camping at state parks and COE campgrounds, that would be perfect for me. Our friends started camping in a T@b. DW would have lots to say about it though and a lot of that would not be favorable.

j

Last edited:
Thank you SO much to everyone for your helpful replies! I really appreciate your input. From some of the pictures I've seen, I don't think we will have much of an issue. DH gets real picky when he's backing into our semi-permanent spot at the creek...it has to be JUST SO, lined up perfectly with the pad. That's something we won't have to worry about for a 2 week stay :)
And I'm thinking positive...now I have another year to plan!:thumbsup2

All great tips and worthwhile. Even when you change rigs it is a good idea to find an open area and learn how it reacts. I am no expert either, however, practice in a local school lot would do both of you some good. I found that any premium spot it's relatively easy to get into and even stick close to the edge to maximize your patio space. As for reservations, the 499 day rule seems to still be working, so set a reminder to call so you can get what you are after. We have a reservation this year for July 2021, we are really hoping by then with the vaccine now out that we will see things start to return to normal come Spring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter