• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Post a Picture of Your Camping Setup at Other Campgrounds!!

Tigg....I noticed the coleman loveseat...I have one also...does yours tend to lean forward when you sit in it? Mine does..so does the chair...such a good idea...but dangit, mine just arent as comfortable as they look!!

It does, but to counteract it, I use the coleman checker table as an ottoman and lean back on it :-)

I dont think its as comfy w 2 ppl on it though which stinks... but oh well...

Tigg....I noticed the coleman loveseat...I have one also...does yours tend to lean forward when you sit in it? Mine does..so does the chair...such a good idea...but dangit, mine just arent as comfortable as they look!!

Yes it does lean a little when sitting in it. I am sorta a big guy (260 lbs) but I don't really see 2 people fitting into that thing very well.

....Did you have to hardwire in the camera to the transmitter that relays to the monitor? I don't think there is enough signal to go that far.
Sorry, Donnie, I missed this. We found a 12volt camera online and ran a power line and coax from the camera down the ladder then under the 5er all the way to the front. We tapped into the power panel inside the front storage compartment and ran the coax all the way to the end of the pigtail. I had a Kenwood receiver in the dash that had a DVD player and a video input so we ran coax from that to the rear bumper where we used a double male coupler to hook the coax together. It worked great.

Tigg,,so ya'll had all that water around you,,did you do anything with it ? LIke fishing ???

Yeah, Taz...Im in the 260 area as well....I expected them to feel like bean bags, I guess. Maybe if I underinflate it it would sit a little deeper.

Tigg,,so ya'll had all that water around you,,did you do anything with it ? LIke fishing ???

Hmmmm.....Fishing.... Lets see....

Matty's 1st Catch

Campingtrip9107044.jpg

Nicky throws in a line:
Campingtrip9107054.jpg

Out at Dawn...
Campingtrip9107065.jpg

Taz untangling Nicky's line

Campingtrip9107073.jpg

Yeah- they did some fishing... we dont go anywhere without full tackle and at least 6 or 7 rods :-)

The moon was still out when I took that shot- I think it was like 5:30 or 6am- I have several pics showing the mist gradually lifting till it was clear out and an eagle flew over our site to its nest across the lake. It was one of the most amazing mornings I have ever spent camping...

That campground will always be my fav spot just cause its so removed from everything and everyone- but they are tent only sites- no trailers, no cars... you park up on hte road and haul all your gear down to the water... but its about a 17 hour drive (Pocono Mts PA) for us now and the campground is closed till next year anyway...

And now that we have the pop up and I'm spoiled from camping here where even the state parks have water and electricity at most of their sites... sigh...

Awesome pics ! Really glad to see ya'll are gett'n the young'ns to fish,,:thumbsup2
It really is the family thing to do.

Carol,, thanks for bumping this,,with my work schedule I miss A LOT on the boards and it can be too much to try and back track to catch up. Thanks.

Here are some pics from our setup while camping at Mama Gertie's Hideaway campground in Swannanoa, NC (just east of Asheville) last week (20090609). It is a lovely little gem of a CG set into a wooded mountainside. Incredibly well maintained and sparkling clean... I mean, they flip the picnic tables to clean spiderwebs underneath!

Here I am max'n and relax'n under the awning with, what's that? A laptop? What on earth could I be doing? Even at my second-favorite cg I'm fiending for the Fort! Oh, and the bear (Brownie)... he was a clearance find in the garden dept. at Walmart for $25! Run, don't walk!

IMG_1160.jpg

The reverse angle. We don't usually do a LOT of set-up when we camp here 'cause we might want to go touring or go out for dinner. A couple of chairs, the dog bed and a small fence, not so much to keep the pups contained (they're pretty good about that) but to break the trance caused by chipmunks frolicking in the woods across the street.

IMG_1148.jpg

WARNING: Distortion ahead as I break out the panoramic pics!

Here is the "Reception Outpost" at Mama'a
20090608ReceptionArea.jpg

...and the front porch:
20090608MamasFrontPorch.jpg

A typical row of sites... I told you it was set into a mountainside! Note that my moho floor is even with the neighbor's roof! Yet each site is perfectly level!
20090608MamaGerties16.jpg

And, where Mama's surpasses the Fort (IMO), the bathhouses! This is the entrance, with a row of PRIVATE showers on the left. The laundry is ahead to the left and the restrooms are to the right:
20090608ComfortStation.jpg

The panoramic shot makes it look smaller that it is, but behind the locking door is a nice sized changing area and the full, residential sized shower enclosure beyond. Each has its own exhaust fan, lots of hooks, and the rubber mat in the changing area is so much nicer than having to muss with shower shoes:
20090608Shower.jpg

And everything is kept sparkling clean, even the men's room:
20090608MensRoom.jpg

That's all I have time for now. Hope you have the opportunity to check Mama out if you're ever near Asheville. I think with AAA (or Good Sams) it runs about $30 per night. Note however that this is a rather adult campground, there is no pool or playground so little ones may not find it so novel (though there are some arcade games, a tetherball, and horseshoes). But if you are looking for a relaxing getaway, Mama's is really nice!

:santa:

lostpict210.jpg

Maiden voyage in 2005 when new. KOA Eureka Springs, Ar.

Our maiden voyage. May, 2008 ~ Wells Beach RV Resort, Wells, Maine ~
IMG_0621.jpg

May, 2008 ~ Normandy Farms Campground, Foxborough, Massachusetts ~
IMG_0663.jpg

July, 2008 ~ Sea-Vue Campground, Wells, Maine ~
IMG_0745.jpg

September, 2008 ~ Bay View Campground, Cape Cod, Massachusetts ~
IMG_1026.jpg

October, 2008 ~ Broken Branch KOA, Woodstock, New Hampshire ~
IMG_1114.jpg

June, 2009 ~ Normandy Farms Campground, Foxborough, Massachusetts ~
IMG_2030.jpg

And this photo for Frank - fishing derby at Normandy Farms Campground ~
IMG_2019.jpg

Lake Fausse Point State Park, Louisiana.

Not a bad campground....but you must bathe in insect repellent!!!

Our site (#44):

p_00292.jpg

p_00295.jpg

The rear of the site, some great views:
p_00296.jpg

p_00301.jpg

Our own pier:
p_00297.jpg

Some random shots from the nature trails(Bring mosquito spray, and lots of it....it you have a machine gun, the mosquitos may be more responsive to that!!!)
p_00298.jpg

Hidden deer in the red circle:
p_00303.jpg

9-10 foot gator in the center(cell camera...sorry!)
p_00302.jpg

This lady was giving birth right on the trail!! (She was quite the hisser)
p_00299.jpg

local wildlife:
p_00082.jpg

p_00080.jpg

One of the parks playgrounds:
p_00078.jpg

This parks Comfort Stations are pretty darn clean, although old as the hills. There is a great splash area/water playground for the kids, the sites are nice enough...but the real draw of this campground are the nature trails....ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!! (if you can see through the mosquitos), and there are tons and tons of gators in the lakes and bayous.

Great photos Karla, we were in the White Mountains the same time you were there at the Broken Branch KOA. We stayed at Glen Ellis, but made the road trip up to the top of Mt. Washington because the weather was so nice.

What did you think of Bay View on the Cape? We have not camped on the Cape yet and were thinking of Nickerson State Park sometime. Of course, Nickerson does not have hook-ups.

Willowtree Resort (Beautiful Camping Resort!!!)
Longs, SC (10-miles From North Myrtle Beach, SC)

DSCN1264.jpg

DSCN1259.jpg

DSCN1267.jpg

DSCN1271.jpg

DSCN1275.jpg

DSCN1277.jpg

Doug / datgrt@fw

Great photos Karla, we were in the White Mountains the same time you were there at the Broken Branch KOA. We stayed at Glen Ellis, but made the road trip up to the top of Mt. Washington because the weather was so nice.

What did you think of Bay View on the Cape? We have not camped on the Cape yet and were thinking of Nickerson State Park sometime. Of course, Nickerson does not have hook-ups.

Thanks Dan! I remember you posting about driving up Mt. Washington that weekend. It was beautiful weather.

Bay View was okay but I don't think we'll go back. There was an odor (like sulfur or rotten eggs) throughout the entire campground for the entire weekend. I don't know if it is like that all the time, but it was enough for us to not want to go back. We are planning another Cape trip this season, I think we are going to try Cape Cod Campresort in East Falmouth. I've heard good things about it, and the pics on their website look nice. It looks more of an "RV Resort" than true "campground", so we won't be "roughing" it, lol.

I've heard good things about Nickerson SP - let me know what you think about it, as it is on our list of places to try.

We are trying to figure a weekend for Glenn Ellis, as well. (So many places, so little time, haha). Friends of ours have been there quite a few times and love it - what did you think?

Thanks Dan! I remember you posting about driving up Mt. Washington that weekend. It was beautiful weather.

Bay View was okay but I don't think we'll go back. There was an odor (like sulfur or rotten eggs) throughout the entire campground for the entire weekend. I don't know if it is like that all the time, but it was enough for us to not want to go back.
I just went to Google Earth to check out Bay View - found a huge landfill right across the road from the CG on Rte 28. That must explain the sulfur odor all weeked. Guess that'll be one to remove from the list, and adding a pre-check of locations via Google Earth before reservations now!

I've heard good things about Nickerson SP - let me know what you think about it, as it is on our list of places to try.

We are trying to figure a weekend for Glenn Ellis, as well. (So many places, so little time, haha). Friends of ours have been there quite a few times and love it - what did you think?

One of my co-workers has gone to Nickerson a few times, and just recently this spring with the Boy Scouts. He loves the place, says it's large, spread out and quitet. They take the rail trail over to the Coast Guard beach (a long trip, but they are with teenagers).

I liked Glen Ellis. Was a little nervous because they told us the only site they had left was their worst one. It was not bad, was at the end of a loop near the gravel road, but it was not dusty and across the road was a field near the bath house. The kids played on that field a lot. They have huge open areas for sports or just running around catching fireflies if you want. Happy Trails! We're off tonight for Mt. Ascutney SP in VT, then to see the Hot Air Balloon Fest in Quechee. With the rain they are predicting, probably not much for balloon activity, but plenty of fried dough and festival food!

Ummmm, is that a hot tub at every campsite?

:santa:

Hello and Good Morning Shan-man ........ The Hot Tubs are only located on what they call their 'Signature Sites'. I believe there are around eight total and they are all lake front. I am not sure the drive time from Wake Forest to Willowtree but it's a 'Very' nice camping resort that I think you might enjoy! We have camped there many times and it has always been a great place to stay!

Doug / datgrt@fw

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter