[possibly strange] porthole question

trwprid

Mouseketeer
How good are the porthole curtains at room darkening? Are they like hotel room curtains? I have a child who wakes up at the slightest hint of dawn, and am trying to figure out if we're going to have to make adjustments to our schedule to get him down earlier.

The one thing I liked about the last cruise I took is that we were booked in an inside stateroom and could never tell what time it was. (The trade-off was slight claustrophobia.)

How good are the porthole curtains at room darkening? Are they like hotel room curtains? I have a child who wakes up at the slightest hint of dawn, and am trying to figure out if we're going to have to make adjustments to our schedule to get him down earlier.

The one thing I liked about the last cruise I took is that we were booked in an inside stateroom and could never tell what time it was. (The trade-off was slight claustrophobia.)

There is a sheer curtain and then a heavier curtain. I find they keep the room pretty dark....but I always bring some spring loaded clothes pins to keep them tightly closed in the middle (the curtains pull from both sides and meet in the middle).

MJ

Good tip - I can get a small pack of clothes pins at Dollar Tree before we leave. I think $1 is well worth the boy sleeping for an extra hour or so!

I love this board -- I would not have thought to bring clothespins in a million years if it weren't for all the great suggestions from all these helpful people. :goodvibes

I second what MJ said -- the curtains are heavy and a clothespin does a great job of ensuring that no light peeks through.

Have fun on your trip!

Already packed a clip for our cruise in 9 days! Thanks for the tip:thumbsup2:thumbsup2!

You probably don't want to do this but there is a curtain that blocks the "living area" from the main bed area. If you want him to sleep in the big bed instead of the couch you could pull that curtain as well as the porthold curtains and get it even darker but that means someone else has to sleep on the couch.

I'm open to that, especially if the t.v. is on the porthole side and not the door side of the room.

I love the inside stateroom for the darkness too, but the curtains do keep it pretty dark. We didn't bring clothes pins, we just used one of my hair clips (spring-loaded claw type).

I'm just like your son. The slightest crack of light wakes me up. No need to buy clothespins, I bring kitchen clips, magnetic note clips or snack bag clips. I always imagine I'll sleep late if it's dark, but I usually never do.

I find the curtains at the BWV never block out all the light, so I always bring clips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter