Possible DVC purchase

mom24kids

Earning My Ears
Thank you so much for the wonderful service this board provides to those of us considering a DVC purchase. My family and I will be traveling the last week in Feb. and will be staying at BWV in a 2 bedroom. We will be 4 adults, 4 children and an infant. While we won't always travel in that size group, the infant will grow out of the crib, and we would like to keep the family together. I am wondering if the Wilderness Lodge would be a wise purchase because they do not have any grand villas. How difficult are these villas to book? Do you need the 11 month home resort window? I would prefer to wait and purchase at the Beach Club, but then we would lose the money this trip would put towards our purchase. Anyone done a purchase this quickly with an existing reservation? Is resale on this short notice possible? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hi mom24kids and Welcome to the DVC Board.

I will try to answer a few questions. First, you will not be able to close before the end of Febuary this year. If you purchase from DVC, they do not begin the process of clsoing until you have had 30 days to reconsider your purchase and then closing usually takes at least 30 days even on resales.

To reserve a grand villa, you will almost always need to book at the 11 month mark. There are only a few of these and they do book fast. I have seen a few grand villas go within in the 7 month mark, but these are usually during the slowest seasons, aka January.

As for waiting on BCV because WLV di not have GV, I do not believe that BCV is going to have GV either, thus if you want your home resort to have a GV, you will need to buy a resale at OKW or BWV.

jane.gif

Disney Vacation Club Board Co-Moderator
DVC and Cruise Chat Hostess
Cruise Board List Mistress

<font size=4 color=blue font face="Comic Sans MS">Robin

Thanks TNROBIN! Sorry to load you up with questions. It was late and I was a little overwhelmed plowing through the boards for answers. The information is disappointing as Disney led me to believe they could do a quick sale. I will have to call them today. Thanks again. If we purchase I know I'll be back.

Note, Disney can do a quick sale; not possible with a resale. With Disney you do not need to close to be able to make a ressie. In other words, you will be able to make a ressie as soon as you have signed all the paperwork, paid your down payment, and Disney has approved the sale (if you called today, those steps could all be completed in about 12 days. With a resale you must wait until after closing to make a ressie. Also note that the old 30 day grace period for backing out of the sale with Disney is now only 15 days.

The real issue is whether you will be able to switch your current ressie to a points ressie if you buy through Disney. Often, that can be arranged by the sales rep but the process is a cancellation of the old cash ressie and making a new DVC ressie. Usually you need to do that before you reach a point that the cash ressie becomes subject to any penalties for cancellation, i.e., DVC might not be able to get you out of those penalties.If you want to make the switch make that ultimately clear to your sales rep when purchasing and get some kind of assurance the change can be made.

Like VWL, BCV will have no Grand Villas. The stated occupancey for a 2 bedroom is 8 plus a child under 3 in a crib. Thus, when you reach 9 as the infant ages, the 2BR might not be enough. GV's at BW and OKW are very difficult to get without the 11 month window

Thanks for the update on the back out period drusba.

I didn't know about the quick sale. We weren't in a hurry, so I guess our guide didn't mention it to us.

jane.gif

Disney Vacation Club Board Co-Moderator
DVC and Cruise Chat Hostess
Cruise Board List Mistress

<font size=4 color=blue font face="Comic Sans MS">Robin

We did the quick sale thing in reverse. We purchased DVC sight unseen in 1995 3 weeks prior to our trip. We understood that, if we backed out of the deal, we would have to pay cash for the rooms at Old Key West and for the LOS passes that were (at that time) included with the room. That would have amounted to quite a bit of money. Needless to say, we remained members.

Just another personal story about the whole "quick sale" thing....we were told we could make ressies as soon as we signed the papers, and like was mentioned before if we decided to back out the cash price of the stay would be deducted from our refund (paid cash up front)...our closing didn't happen for over a month after this.

It seems like you'll need to make a quick decision as to whether you want WLV and to get this stay on points (I think I've heard that they will make this happen if you insist on it as a condition of sale) or if you want to look for a resale at a property that has GV.

Good luck!

Lesley

1979 Contemporary
1992 Off-site
1994 Carribean Beach
1999 Fort Wilderness and Coronado Springs
2000 Polynesian and Old Key West
2002 Boardwalk Villas

Thanks for all the assistance. We purchased at the WLV. They were able to do a quick conversion of our paid reservation. It was a little complicated, but our sales rep. and member services were wonderful. Anyone considering this should make sure they have a room reservation only, no packages or insurance. We also were paying full price with no discount. It was time consuming, but we are very happy new members. Thanks all for your input!

<marquee> WELCOME HOME!! </marquee>

Glad you were able to convert your reservation. Direct purchases do allow immediate access to making reservations (no borrowing however) and vacation guides are particularly "magical" when it comes to providing assitance. Glad your's came through for you! Enjoy!

Doc
doc@wdwinfo.com

Wow! Great news! Welcome home. Glad everything worked out for you.

keywest.gif

hi and welcome home! i think you'll like the vwl although they are smaller than okw. okw has the most gvs, so you may have a chance at the 7 month mark unless you are going during the peak seasons.

Welcome Home!! What a nice vacation future for your large family! FYI, if you can't get a GV at the 7 month window, try for a 2 BR plus studio.

Disneydiane

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!