Portofino resort? Anyone stay here?

camnhan

DIS Veteran
we will be traveling to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years (and our DS first time ever) in April. I have been looking through threads on where to stay....most posts are from a few years ago so wondering about some more resent reviews. We need to be within walking distance. We are trying to find a place to rent a special needs stroller as our son will tire quickly walking (he won't do a wheelchair). We have made multiple trips to DW so are super excited about this trip. Looking at doing a few days at Disney and then a few days around San Diego/Laguna Beach area....
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

we will be traveling to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years (and our DS first time ever) in April. I have been looking through threads on where to stay....most posts are from a few years ago so wondering about some more resent reviews. We need to be within walking distance. We are trying to find a place to rent a special needs stroller as our son will tire quickly walking (he won't do a wheelchair). We have made multiple trips to DW so are super excited about this trip. Looking at doing a few days at Disney and then a few days around San Diego/Laguna Beach area....
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

This may seem silly and I may just be reading this wrong, but you know that San Diego and Laguna Beach are not in the same area, right? It can be kind of a long drive between the two in traffic.

As for Portofino, it's okay. I haven't stayed there directly, but family joining on the same trip has, so I've seen the rooms. They're clean and if you need space for 6, the kid suites are nice. I would say it's borderline on the walkability. If you're strong walkers and don't tire easily, it's fine, but especially if you have a child with special needs, I would recommend staying a bit closer. Tropicana and Camelot would probably be the more cost-effective choices that are actually in 5-10 minute walking distance (maybe a bit more costly than Portofino, but you'd be so much closer).

City Stroller Rentals has special needs strollers I believe.

Last edited:

I stayed here in December. It was ok it's right by the CVS and Walgreens. The room was clean and the water pressure was good. My only problem was the fire alarm kept chirping at 2:00am and they didn't have anyone who could fix it so they moved me to another room. There's an ART bus station right near by and that's how I got back and forth to the parks. I'd stay here again.

This may seem silly and I may just be reading this wrong, but you know that San Diego and Laguna Beach are not in the same area, right? It can be kind of a long drive between the two in traffic.

As for Portofino, it's okay. I haven't stayed there directly, but family joining on the same trip has, so I've seen the rooms. They're clean and if you need space for 6, the kid suites are nice. I would say it's borderline on the walkability. If you're strong walkers and don't tire easily, it's fine, but especially if you have a child with special needs, I would recommend staying a bit closer. Tropicana and Camelot would probably be the more cost-effective choices that are actually in 5-10 minute walking distance (maybe a bit more costly than Portofino, but you'd be so much closer).

City Stroller Rentals has special needs strollers I believe.
Thanks so much for the info....
The special needs stroller at City Stroller are the smaller ones that only go to 90lbs :( he is about 115 lbs now so those are a bit small.
Probably should have worded it San Diego OR Laguna Beach :) Have not really decided which yet.

Portofino is fine, but is hardly the shortest walk to the parks. I think BWPPI or PVI win in that category. Agree that there are closer, more budget friendly properties worth looking at. Candy Cane Inn has a free, private shuttle, too, if that is of interest to you.
This thread has helpful information: www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/.
This thread is also very helpful: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.
Thanks for the links...we are trying to be mindful of cost because we just did DW over thanksgiving for our older son's 21st bday however I am getting a bit nervous about not finding a stroller so may have to stay onsite to keep him closer.

Thanks for the links...we are trying to be mindful of cost because we just did DW over thanksgiving for our older son's 21st bday however I am getting a bit nervous about not finding a stroller so may have to stay onsite to keep him closer.
Have you asked about the stroller in the DISabilities forum? If not, try asking there specifically about your stroller needs for DLR (make sure that people know you mean Anaheim, not Orlando). It's amazing how resourceful DISers can be about things like this.

Technically, there are several offsite motels closer to the gates than the onsite hotels. Anything directly across the street on Harbor from Disneyland is going to be a shorter walk if there's concern over that (from HOJO in the northern end to the Grand Legacy in the south). If you're looking to save money and be as close as possible, don't stay onsite.

Maybe try a medical supply store for rental. I don't actually know of any normal companies that rent one that holds more than 90 lbs. since most of the kiddos I work with are willing to use a wheelchair at that point. That's a tough one. You also may have luck looking near whichever airport you use. Best of luck to you.

Have you asked about the stroller in the DISabilities forum? If not, try asking there specifically about your stroller needs for DLR (make sure that people know you mean Anaheim, not Orlando). It's amazing how resourceful DISers can be about things like this.
yeah I have but have not gotten any feedback...that is where I learned about Orlando Medical for when we are in FL :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter