Port Upgrades--Success Mediterranean?

CaliforniaGirl09

DIS Veteran
I'm hoping for a port upgrade room on our 2011 Mediterranean cruise and was just wondering whether any 2010 Mediterranean cruisers had any success?

We went the first week of May, it was not a full ship, they did have balcony rooms available, but it ranged between $600-900 to upgrade from our current 9 category (we booked cat 12)..so maybe if we had paid for the 9 the upgrade fee would have been even less than that...just be the first in line..we were there at 9:30 and probably the 15th in line to check in...

HTH!
Tara

It will ultimately depend on how full the ships are. They are doing a lot of marketing in Europe this year, and offered 20% discounts for rebooking on board on at least some of the dates.

We booked GTY 12 and got upgraded to a Cat 9 with large porthole.

We were very lucky in that DCL dropped the price by half for GTY status so a load of us from the UK booked it. It sailed from Dover which is only 40 mins away for us .. bliss .. no Transatlantic flight!!:worship:

Enjoyed it so much, we all booked to go again this August (price hasn't dropped yet though!)

Thanks for the posts. We are on the 11 night June cruise. I wish there was a way of finding out how booked it is! We have a secret porthole room right now, but I'd love to add an additional room or upgrade to a suite. With two teens, it would be nice to spread out a little.

Thanks for the posts. We are on the 11 night June cruise. I wish there was a way of finding out how booked it is! We have a secret porthole room right now, but I'd love to add an additional room or upgrade to a suite. With two teens, it would be nice to spread out a little.

You can always call Disney and ask how crowded/booked it is, they usually have a fairly good idea! I just go to my ressie online and seek to change my category "GTY" and it shows me what's available...I can tell there are all 11 and 4 categories...so it's not sold out atleast :)

Tara

Hi

We upgraded on our June cruise, booked a Cat 12, got a Cat 11, but upgraded at port to a 9. However, they didn't have an upgrade immediately. but told us to board and go to our room and they would contact us as one came free.

We were just thinking of unpacking at 5pm, when the call came they had a Cat 9 - so off we went.

It was around $350 but I think they priced us from the 11 that we were in, rather than the 12 that we started with.

Second cruise, end of August, we had a Cat 9, but with two portholes. We were told there were no upgrades on that cruise.

Great idea, Imhall, I think I will call and find out how booked up it is.

K8T, wow, that's a little discouraging. I guess I was hoping it would be a little easier than that. Where you first in line by any chance? Hmm....this might strange my strategy a little. My original thought was that I'd keep my SP room, and hope for either (1) upgrade to suite at port or (2) additional room at port. But I might have to bite the bullet and just go ahead an book an additional room ahead of time. Problem is that the cruise is much more expensive now. Wish I'd done it earlier. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter