Port Orleans Riverside

scanne

<font color=blue>OK, I must have really small ears
Can anyone tell me a little about this resort?

Size, rooms, food court, transportation? We are thinking of staying here in October for MNSSHP. Thanks!!!

Hi! I just got back from a surprise birthday trip to Riverside and loved it. It was my first stay at a moderate resort - we usually stay at the Polynesian. I was very impressed with the entire resort - food choices, room size, landscaping, and the overall theming.

We were in a king bed room in building 14 in Alligator Bayou, very conveniently located near the food court, parking and the South Depot bus stop. Our room looked out over a small pond and lawn area, though the standard view rooms near the parking lots also had nice landscaping. The mansions area of Riverside was very tastefully landscaped with manicured gardens and fountains, though I personally preferred the lushness in Alligator Bayou. Our room seemed very large, though I don't know if the non-king rooms are set up the same way.

The food court served from 6:30 a.m., I think, until midnight. Breakfasts options included pastries, eggs, bacon, sausages, pancakes, grits, oatmeal and probably more! Boatwright's served very filling breakfasts as well - banana stuffed french toast, huge omelettes, eggs benedict. There were salads and sandwiches in the cooler all day and the usual lunch and dinner choices - pasta, pizza, burgers, veggie burgers and I think they had ribs. All in all, very tasty!

We used Disney transportation for everything except mini golf and never had any problems. The boat to Downtown Disney seemed always to run more frequently than was posted, but we may have just lucked into that! Buses were crowded, but ran regularly.

If you have any other questions I'll try to answer them. We really liked this resort!

While we have stayed at quite a few of the resorts at WDW this is by far our favorite! It is just a great resort. It is large but relaxing. Rooms are comfortable, we usually book two with a connecting door but have also used the trundle bed rooms at AB. The food court is well designed and the food is good. The banana stuffed French toast at Boatwright's is well worth a visit. (My favorite.) Bus service has always been good; we seldom have any problems with it. (Maybe a slightly longer wait during busier periods.) The main pool is nice but we prefer the quiet pools, they never seem as crowded.
Check out the link FloridaGirl gave you in a previous post, excellent site for info. They even post menus there.
Have fun!
Smiles,
Diane =0)

Thanks to all who have posted details. We are staying there in 11 weeks and I'm not sure what to expect. We've been spoiled with deluxes.

Hi,

I've been there twice & love it. Transporation is good & the food court/restruant has good food. Have fun & be sure to report back.

Allison

We're staying there for the 1st time May26-June5. Do we need to rent a car to get to the parks for early entry, or are the buses better at getting you there faster? I don't want to be waiting for a bus and miss out on early entry! :wave2:

Scanne~This resort is wonderful. I fell in love with it back in 1992 while I was with my parents. Now, I've returned several times with friends and now with husband and family. This is the only place I stay when I visit because I've just gotten so used to it, as it's become like another home to me.

The grounds are gorgeous with tons of wonderfully manicured lawns, landscaping, and gardens. You'll find many a walking path that winds around the trees and the water. The pool is great and the food court, in my opinion, is the best one out of the moderates. I like the atmosphere of the place because it's so open and it's full of windows so you can still enjoy the outdoor surrounds. The food court has plenty of choices and it all tastes good.

The rooms on the Alligator Bayou "Huck Finn" side have a nice rustic feel to them. I've always chosen to be on the AB side as it seems the landscaping is so beautful and lush. The rooms on the Magnolia Bend side aren't rustic, but rather fitting of the decor in stately mansion, I guess....just not for me.

Treasure...I wouldn't rent a car. The bus transportation has never let me down. Just make a point to be at the bus stop with at least 45 minutes to an hour before early entry. That will allow time for travel to the park, bathroom stop, etc. One of the best perks for staying on property is using their transportation. Why drive and deal with parking, when all you have to do is catch a bus? I've never had to wait too long for a bus either. There might have been a time or two, but I didn't mind.

The other wonderful plus about this place is the boatride that takes you to Downtown Disney. What a pleasant ride this is! It's so relaxing, and besides, you learn a great deal about Disney if you happen to be lucky to have a talkative captain.

To conclude, Port Orleans-Riverside has an atmosphere about it that simply must be experienced first hand. Once you get there, you'll know what I'm talking about. The place just feels so Disney-fied. It's just what a resort should be...

I'll be there on May 9th and I can't wait. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

:wave2:

Wow, I am so pleased to hear such wonderful things about this resort. I especially like your write up, Chicky Monkey. I have stayed on Disney property 4 times and am staying at Riverside for this 1st time this July. I have visited the resort in the past, since I stayed at French Quarter. However, on my visit, I did not get to see too much.

After reading those reviews I am so pysched that I am staying there!!! And I'm even more excited that it's only a couple months away!!!!

Just one question: Is Alligator Bayou a better themed area? Many people seem to like this area. Thanks again! :earsgirl:

AB has smaller buildings with more shade. A lot of them are more convienent to the food court than mansions.

Mansions. At least two of them had elevators. Larger building and the rooms can wrap around. We stayed on the second floor and made a left, left, right, left, etc... to get to the nearest stairwell. Kind of wished the stairs were more of a straight shot. Our room did face the fountain which was nice. I drove so I could see my car in the parking lot easier than some of the AB parking lots.

Room size are probably the same. It didn't matter to me what building I stayed in. I got Acadian mansion after requesting a room based upon limited mobility.

DTD boat. Starts at 9:00 AM. I can't remember when the last boat leaves at night. DTD does have bus transport to POR.

Other stuff
Liked the pool because there was a lot of large trees providing some shade.

Bob Jackson is a piano player that puts on an energitic show in the River Roost Lounge on some nights.

Boatwrights restaurant is a good place to eat brekfast.

DTD boat very relaxing.

Only bad thing. Food court can be a little slow. Went during Easter week and the buses were crowded but manageable.

Thanks, Chicky Monkey, for the great info. I think we'll try the busses!

Mirlow, I learned on another post that the DTD boat runs until 11 or 11:30 pm!

We're leaving in 17 days and these posts are making the wait unbearable. It sounds like we made the right choice to stay here!

We also will be at POR May 8-14th Myself, husband, 4 y.o. son, and, of course, my mom. Can't stand the anticipation!!! More excited than the rest of my family.

Jen

Originally posted by dislady
We also will be at POR May 8-14th Myself, husband, 4 y.o. son, and, of course, my mom. Can't stand the anticipation!!! More excited than the rest of my family.

Jen

My DS's are almost 3 and almost 5. We'll probably see you there since we're there the whole week too.

Try and tie a lime green ribbon on your bag or something if you go to the pool so we can meet. I'll do it too! Come to think of it you'll probably be able to identify me easier if I tell you that my kids are Parker and Carter. You'll hear me yelling those names I'm sure!:tongue:

Hi Piglet 203!

I definitely think that Alligator Bayou is a better themed area, but that's only my humble opinion and personal preference. I'm just not into the whole mansion look. I like the feeling of being somewhat tucked away, and the AB side does that for me....but without the sacrifice of being so far from the food court. The landsacaping on this side of the resort is so darn lush and beautiful. It's no wonder that Port Orleans-Riverside keeps winning awards for it's beautiful landscaping and grounds.

My personal favorite location is Building 14, which is right next to the food court....and it's non-smoking.

Some say they don't prefer that locale because it's been said that it's more noisy due to the foot traffic that undoubtedly passes by this building, but it just hasn't been my experience. I've never been bothered by noise at Building 14.

Some prefer Building 27 over 14, but I don't know for sure if it's non-smoking or smoking.

If you have a preference, I'd fax my request over to POR directly a few days prior to your trip. Your requests will not be guaranteed, however, but they will do as best as they can to match your request.

HANDYMOM and dislady....I just might see you guys there as I'll be there at the same time--it won't be hard to figure out who I am as I'll be the 30 something girl doing happy claps! I can't wait....only 18 days left for me now! I hope you guys have a wonderful trip!!

:wave:

I would love to try Alligator Bayou for once but DH says the theming there doesn't appeal to him. *sigh* Luckily I do like the theming in the mansions too so I can be happy there.

Hey disneylvr~

Well, even though you are going to stay in the mansions, go ahead and come on over to the other side of the river and walk around the AB side. I'm sure that would still be enjoyable....not the same, but it's something! You might spy a few bunnies jumping around the grounds as well. Have fun on your trip!

::yes::

THIS PAST MARCHTHE FIRST TO THE 11TH TO BE EXACT WAS MY FIRST TIME ON PROPERTY.
I SO WANTED THE MANSIONS BUT WE GOT ALLIGATOR BOYOU
AND LET ME TELL YOU I WAS SO SURPRISED IT WAS WONDERFUL CLEAN
WE WERE RIGHT BY A QUIET POOL THERE WAS SOME DISTANCE TO THE FOOD COURT BUT THE WALK WAS SO PLEASENT
I WAS IN A ELECTRIC WHEEL CHAIR AND I COULDNT KEEP UP WITH MY DAUGHTER AND HER KINDS WALKING, WE FED THE BIRDS IT WAS SO NICE, THE BUSES WERE HANDCAP ACCICABLE
I LOVED POR SO MUCH WE JOINED THE DISNEY VAC. CLUB.
THANKS POR

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter