POR or POP?

crhbrault

Always planning my next trip to the Mouse House!
We are planning a last minute trip for early Feb. with DD (9) and DS (15). DD has stayed on property with us before, DH and I have always stayed at a Moderate and LOVE POR (and have since the days of Dixie Landings!). Trying to determine whether we should try to swing POR or try out POP for a change? We will be using a room-only discount, no dining plan, because we will be obtaining tickets discounted thru an educational program offered by Disney.

We have stayed at POR & Pop.

We stayed at POR before Pop but stayed at Pop to be more conservative with our money.

We went from POR to Pop. I can say that we missed the hot tub but that was about it between the two. We are easy to please & did not notice a difference on beds just the hot tub.

We enjoyed both PoR & PoP & would stay at either one.

I say go for Pop & feel more comfortable on vacation because you spent less. That always makes me feel good.

I haven't tried POP myself, but my sister has and loved it. To compare, she's also stayed at CBR, and the Swan and thought POP was just as nice (of course, taking into consideration POP is value, not moderate/deluxe when comparing.) If you're looking to save a little money I'd suggest trying it out for sure!

I will say, on the most recent trip (this Feb) to POR, I was less than impressed with buses to and from our resort and noticed lots more for the values. With the most recent trip, we didn't even use the hot tub, and in fact only made it to the pool twice.

Any thoughts on the POP food court? Guess we will do breakfast in the room (we have always avoided the values til the addition of fridges so we can do cereal in the mornings), and without our usual free dining added on, we will be doing nearly-or-all QS meals.

We have stayed at POR & Pop.

We stayed at POR before Pop but stayed at Pop to be more conservative with our money.

We went from POR to Pop. I can say that we missed the hot tub but that was about it between the two. We are easy to please & did not notice a difference on beds just the hot tub.

We enjoyed both PoR & PoP & would stay at either one.

I say go for Pop & feel more comfortable on vacation because you spent less. That always makes me feel good.

That's exactly my thought! If it means we can "splurge" a little on meals this way, I'm all for it. Heck, all I do is SLEEP and shower in the room anyway. And the kids will love the theming I think, my DD likes themain pool and also having to herself the quiet pools at POR but she'll tell you otherwise she finds it "boring" there and not very Disneylike which we grownups know is not the case, lol.

I posted a comment on the Y.E.S. thread but figured I'd ask here too, while I was at it...anyone familiar with the Youth Ed program? We are a homeschooling family and plan to utilize this program (hence the room - only aspect) and the kids are pretty excited about having "school" at WDW!

POR has Queen beds, vs. doubles at POP. As for busses, they all are run by the same system, no difference by class of hotel. It just depends on when you hit the bus stop. Bus just pulls up, service is great! Bus left 2 minutes ago, you wait, busses are lousy. Disney cant win!

PS: POR also has a coffee maker in the room and a pool slide and Yeehaw Bob in the lounge and a table service restuarant for dinner

I was just going to mention this too, POR has queen beds and 2 sinks & coffee maker. Pop has double beds, 1 sink, and no coffee. For me that would mean a trip to the food court in the morning for coffee.
With 4 people I'd like the queen beds and larger room.

We're also a homeschooling family with reservations at Pop in early Feb. We're using the Stay, Play and Dine package discount, and I keep debating about upgrading to a moderate for the queen beds. There are 6 of us, so I think we'll stay at Pop. It's a $1200 increase for us to move up!

To the OP - have you priced out the Stay, Play, and Dine package? I know you already have park tickets, but if you think you're going to go back to WDW you can just get 1 day tickets and save them to be applied against a future ticket purchase. I subtracted the room only discount price, subtracted the cost of the 1 day tickets, and then found that our daily meal price was $24.50. Not a significant savings, but over the week for our family of 6, it's over $250. My kids are thrilled about having those refillable mugs, too ;) The package also comes with 2 vouchers for DisneyQuest, and 2 for miniature golf, and some points at the arcard (among other things my family won't use).

Just returned from a 3 day stay at POP in December and I will tell you NEVER again. Used my 3 strikes you're out rule on that resort. If you want a value go to one of the All Stars, much, much better!! We love POR & have stayed there several times and if I could have found the money for this trip we would have stayed there, but I had some Disney freebies from my last miserable trip to POP & decided to give it one more try.

Room location stunk - paid for a preferred pool view room, not what I got on check in. Went back to front desk, Supervisor spoke shortly to me, turned me over to a CS & then went a little ways away from me & began talking about ME to other staff members. If you're going to complain about me at least wait until I leave the front desk. Lets just say by the time I returned from my trip Disney got a really scathing letter about room issues and supervisor.

Buses stunk too. We were leaving DHS one afternoon as it began raining. The PC bus had just dropped off a load & was going around circle to PC stop. We were running & had just about gotten there when it pulled away. It didn't even wait 5-10 minutes for anyone to get on. Then it was almost 1/2 hour before another one returned. By that time there was a huge group of very unhappy POP people soaked & waiting to get on a bus.

Wherever you choose to stay. I hope you have a great experience and enjoy the most of the Disney Magic. pixiedust:

We're also a homeschooling family with reservations at Pop in early Feb. We're using the Stay, Play and Dine package discount, and I keep debating about upgrading to a moderate for the queen beds. There are 6 of us, so I think we'll stay at Pop. It's a $1200 increase for us to move up!

To the OP - have you priced out the Stay, Play, and Dine package? I know you already have park tickets, but if you think you're going to go back to WDW you can just get 1 day tickets and save them to be applied against a future ticket purchase. I subtracted the room only discount price, subtracted the cost of the 1 day tickets, and then found that our daily meal price was $24.50. Not a significant savings, but over the week for our family of 6, it's over $250. My kids are thrilled about having those refillable mugs, too ;) The package also comes with 2 vouchers for DisneyQuest, and 2 for miniature golf, and some points at the arcard (among other things my family won't use).

I did the same Disney math, and that's what I got, the DDP is significantly reduced. We were booked for POFQ with AAA room only discount, and have APs. But when the Stay/Play & Dine came out we switched to that with 1 day ticket. Both room & DDP are discounted.

Backstage_Gal said:
POR has Queen beds, vs. doubles at POP. As for busses, they all are run by the same system, no difference by class of hotel. It just depends on when you hit the bus stop. Bus just pulls up, service is great! Bus left 2 minutes ago, you wait, busses are lousy. Disney cant win!

PS: POR also has a coffee maker in the room and a pool slide and Yeehaw Bob in the lounge and a table service restuarant for dinner

I have to say I bet you will find a lot of people will disagree with you regarding the bus service being the same from resort to resort. One nice thing at POP is there is only ONE stop and the line is chained so you have a fair chance of getting a seat if you are early in the line. I hear MANY complaints from people at moderate bus stops that you can be the first at the stop and depending on where the bus 'stops' when it pulls up you may end up standing because of the way people rush the bus doors... and on top of that POR has multiple stops, so if you aren't at the first or at least second stop, chances are you are always going to be standing. Which is fine if 'you' (general you) are ok with that. However 'I' would not be. :)

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter