POR not available... stay at POP or CBR??

Greenfield1984

DIS Veteran
Hello,

So we are currently booked at POP with a FD pin that we got for October. Our group consists of myself, DH, our 3 girls (6, 2 and 1) and my MIL and FIL.

We had decided over the weekend that we'd rather upgrade to POR as it would be a more relaxing environment for the in-laws, there's a hot tub and they would love the boat to DTD in the evening when we're stuck at the resort because the little ones go to bed early. I have also always wanted to stay at POR and thought this would be a great excuse to do it.

I just called and there is no availability for those dates at either POR or POFQ with the FD. I'm pretty crushed :(

So now I can't decide if we should stay at POP or upgrade to CBR (if there's availability there). I have 0 interest in Coronado springs. I've always thought CBR looked too spread out and not really my style... but will my in-laws appreciate the upgrade??? I can't decide if it's worth the extra $$. obviously I will discuss with them and see what they think, but thought I'd get your opinions as well.

We will be upgrading to the regular DDP either way as we want the sit down meals.

I should probably also mention that my FIL has just found out his cancer has returned and this will probably be our only chance to vacation with them at Disney. He'll just be happy to be there with his grandkids but we want it to be as special and comfortable as possible. (and we absolutely cannot afford deluxe)

Thanks for your input and sorry for the novel!!

Hello,

So we are currently booked at POP with a FD pin that we got for October. Our group consists of myself, DH, our 3 girls (6, 2 and 1) and my MIL and FIL.

We had decided over the weekend that we'd rather upgrade to POR as it would be a more relaxing environment for the in-laws, there's a hot tub and they would love the boat to DTD in the evening when we're stuck at the resort because the little ones go to bed early. I have also always wanted to stay at POR and thought this would be a great excuse to do it.

I just called and there is no availability for those dates at either POR or POFQ with the FD. I'm pretty crushed :(

So now I can't decide if we should stay at POP or upgrade to CBR (if there's availability there). I have 0 interest in Coronado springs. I've always thought CBR looked too spread out and not really my style... but will my in-laws appreciate the upgrade??? I can't decide if it's worth the extra $$. obviously I will discuss with them and see what they think, but thought I'd get your opinions as well.

We will be upgrading to the regular DDP either way as we want the sit down meals.

I should probably also mention that my FIL has just found out his cancer has returned and this will probably be our only chance to vacation with them at Disney. He'll just be happy to be there with his grandkids but we want it to be as special and comfortable as possible. (and we absolutely cannot afford deluxe)

Thanks for your input and sorry for the novel!!

I would say to go with the upgrade, although I prefer CSR to CBR, something in particular you don't like about CSR ? IMO the rooms are nicer than CBR, that's all.

We took my mother down with us last year, also with Cancer, and we certainly splurged a little, my only regret was not doing it sooner.

CBR wont have some of the things POR does, ie: boat ride to DTD. But, it still might be a little more relaxing for the inlaws while the kiddies are in bed, etc.

I've stayed at POP, CBR, and CSR multiple times each; in fact, I was just at CBR about a month ago. The pool area at CBR was really fun for my two year old nephew, they have a great kiddy area. I agree with the PP, the rooms are definitely nicer at CSR. The beds at CSR are much more comfortable, and I personally feel like the rooms at CBR are a bit rundown. I also like the hammocks around the lake at CSR, it's relaxing to just hang out there a while.

I may be wrong, but I thought Caribbean Beach was more spread out than Coronado (I may be thinking that just cuz I know CBR has an internal bus and I didn't think CSR did). If it's up to me, I'll always upgrade to a mod over a value, although POP is certainly fun. I'm sure your family will have a great time wherever you wind up :goodvibes

Since you are upgrading to reg dining, I cant see the upgrade to a mod being that much greater. I'd definately do CBR over PoP.

It is spread out, there is an internal bus and park buses make additional stops. The pool is nice for kids, especially smaller ones. Zero entry and water play area. It is more relaxing I'd say over pop.
Take a look at the map and decide. Preferred rooms (closer) may be worth it, only for pool and dining.

One more thing, there are quiet pools everywhere and we did find them quiet and relaxing.

I'd recommend going with the upgrade to CBR. I really liked CBR and found that the internal bus system really made the resort not seem so large. The main pool is great and the hammocks on the beach are so relaxing!

Keep in mind that CBR has the smallest rooms out of the moderates on the property. If size is important to you, consider CSR. I've never stayed there but I have friends who love it and consider CSR their home resort. They visit and stay there 2-3 times a year!

emilyindisney said:
Keep in mind that CBR has the smallest rooms out of the moderates on the property.

You've got it backwards. CBR actually had the largest rooms of the moderates. CBR rooms are 340 sq. feet and the others are 314.

Thanks for the input. After looking at pics of both CBR and CSR I've reconsidered and now CSR is in the running as well. I guess I always wrote it off as being cold because it's a convention center, but the rooms are gorgeous and it does look like a nice resort... just less themed than the others.

CBR definitely has the better pool, the kids would love the kid water playground.

I guess I'll just tell my DH to talk to his parents and they can decide between themselves. But we'll definitely upgrade to a mod as long as there's availability somewhere. As someone else pointed out, it's only a few hundred more to change to a mod since we're already upgrade the DDP anyways. And while value is fine when it's just us and the kids, I really want a nice atmosphere for the in-laws to enjoy :)

We have stayed at nearly every hotel at WDW from All Star Sports to several stays at Grand Floridian main building club level.

One of the few we have not stayed at is CBR. We have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and Coronado Springs Resort. Quite frankly, Coronado Springs Resort is one of our favorites. It really is one of the prettiest of the on-property hotels with all of the secluded areas with fountains and colorful tiles. And the lake at night is truly lovely. Dh and I sometimes drive over there to walk around the lake even when we are staying at another hotel. I find CSR to be something of an "upgrade" from the other moderates. The property has a fitness facility and a beauty salon. We thought the pool was very nice and great fun.

We also rented a boat one afternoon and used it on the lake. It's not a huge lake, but we had fun.

CSR is very conveniently located for getting to all the parks as well.

I would not consider it less themed than other WDW resorts. In fact, I think it is one of the more definitively themed of the resorts. There are very definitely three different southwestern styles of architecture. My favorite area is the casitas but all are nice. And, it is so pretty at night -- really, really romantic with all of the lights from the various buildings shining on the lake.

(To me Saratoga Springs is the resort that suffers from a severe lack of theming.)

Additionally, given what has happened with your FIL, you might even consider an upgrade to the business class rooms. They are very conveniently located (which is important as this is a rather large resort) and come with lounge privileges for continental breakfast, snacks, beer and wine in the evening, etc. This might make the trip extra special for not too much extra money.

I would certainly consider CSR. We loved it there and would definitely go back.

Well thank you all again for your input. DH decided on CSR, so I called and changed us over to there. After looking at pictures I'm really excited to stay there! :)

The pool area (hidden temple) rocks - with the Jaguar slide.
I love love love the pepper market! Something for everyone.

The themes at Carribean Beach and the size of the rooms maybe more for you...

I love French Quarter too. Having stayed at both Riverside and French Quarter - Coronado Springs, Carribean Beach, and POP - the real question is, how much can your Inlaws and children walk after a long day in the parks? What are your meal/dining options? Do you prefer quiet pools? Theme pools? Waterslides? and for me - HOT TUB... I can keep up with the kids, as long as I do my early morning HOT TUB time.

POP doesn't have a HOT TUB or waterslide - it does have the fountain area. Nice quiet pools too.

I don't mind walking, and I travel with picky eaters, and kids that love waterslides. CSR and FQ are our Mods of choice.

Last note - AAA always has POR/POFQ rooms and can work with pins and offers in the past. Just sayin. People also cancel at the 45 day out point. Either they have financial issues OR in my case - health issues that have forced the cancelation... so if you really want Port Orleans... call every every every day. Esp 45 days out.

Well thank you all again for your input. DH decided on CSR, so I called and changed us over to there. After looking at pictures I'm really excited to stay there! :)

I think you'll be happy with the decision. We stayed there in March and I really liked it. It really had more of a deluxe feel to it over CBR and POR that we had previously stayed at. (haven't stayed at values or deluxe yet)

We asked for Casitas 4 and got Casitas 5. We liked the location a lot. It was right by the first bus stop(stop #2) and the health club, and a quiet pool. The health club also has a free sauna. It was about half way between the main pool and el Centro. el Centro and the main pool being kind of far apart would be about my only complaint, although they did have a snack bar at the pool. If your FIL tires our easily you could always get on a bus and get off at el Centro for meals. el Centro is bus stop #1, but it is the last one that is stopped at before leaving for the parks.

Also, we were on the top floor of Casitas 5. We could see the fireworks for MK and Epcot from outside our room. It was great! (I don't know if you could see that from any of the lower floors and I'm sure just depends on your particular room location even if you are on the top floor)

A couple other reasons I think you'll like CSR:

The kiddie pool area probably isn't as cool as CBR...however I liked the layout of the main pool as far as people being able to SEE their kids better while they are swimming. There aren't as many areas where your view is blocked. They have the largest hot tub and the longest slide which is really nice.

Duvet covers on the beds. No other moderate has that and it just seems cleaner to me.

We didn't notice convention people at all. The advantage of the conventions to me was that CSR was one of the first bus stops we would come to when walking out of the parks at the end of the day...right by the deluxe bus stops...not let's walk about another football field to the value stops.

Just to add to dminnie -- convention hotels are actually great when it comes to pools -- conventioneers are in meetings all day and not using the pools!

Another plus for CSR over CBR that I didn't see mentioned here yet. CSR has queen beds- CBR still has full (double) beds.

Just to add to dminnie -- convention hotels are actually great when it comes to pools -- conventioneers are in meetings all day and not using the pools!

That applies to the buses too!:thumbsup2

I think you made the right choice. To me CSR is much nicer than CBR.

I'd go for CS instead of CB.

We like the convention crowd - they don't hog the pool, bus stops, and food.

The staff is good about not putting you near loud groups. Last time we went we asked/wanted a specific building. We could have it but the front desk suggested a quieter building.

I have stayed at all 4 moderates and also Pop... Just got back Monday from 10 days at CSR and it is my new favorite!! Let me know if you have ANY questions as I spent a ton of time at the resort :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter