POR French Quarter-is it worth the extra $200 over CBR?

PolyAddict

DIS Veteran
It’s the only mod we haven’t stayed at. I like the idea of how compact it is and the boat to DS BUT we are from NO and mardi gras is not our thing. How do the food courts compare? Bus service?

Thanks

I would switch in a heartbeat. I love French Quarter. It has a wonderful theme and isn't too in your face. Very quiet and relaxing resort. The food at the food court has always been yummy plus it is a short 10 minute walk to Riverside for even more options. Buses have always been good. Only once in multiple trips have I felt I waited too long for a bus and that was a Magic Kingdom bus in the evening (waited like 40 minutes and when it finally came not everyone could fit). Otherwise it's all been 20 minutes or less, so what Disney says it should be.

Since they remodeled the food court the Mardi gras feel is much less. Those huge masks just made the food court dark imo. Prefer the more natural light look. The fact you can use the pools at POR is a big plus along with the boat to DS.
From what I have read here and on other Disney boards bus/ transportation service can be hit or miss at any resort even during the same trip.
We usually run into one long wait for a bus a trip usually coming back from a park mid-day. The sharing buses with POR has gotten less since our 1st trip 20+ years ago. Recently it has only been mid-day for Epcot & DHS and a very early AM bus ( before 7:00am) . We did have a rush hour bus make 1 stop at POR. That bus was sent to pickup overflow at POFQ for MK.
DH had stayed at CBR and said even going through POR was no worst than all the CBR stops.

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions. This is a short 3 night/4 day trip for DH and I. Total comes to $252 more. We have CBR booked again at end of year with the family. Coronado is $92 more for a water view. We have been there before and like it. So am I understanding correctly that FQ has one bus stop and usually does not share with Riverside?

Thanks for the opinions. This is a short 3 night/4 day trip for DH and I. Total comes to $252 more. We have CBR booked again at end of year with the family. Coronado is $92 more for a water view. We have been there before and like it. So am I understanding correctly that FQ has one bus stop and usually does not share with Riverside?
The sharing is usually mid-day in our experience on recent trips . Last trip even a mid- day bus back from DHS didn't share . The MK buses have been seperate. Even when shared the one POFQ stop was the 1st stop.

Having never stayed at CBR but POFQ twice over the last 2 years. I never hesitate to recommend it. It’s a quaint resort, and also quiet. I haven’t had a bad meal there either. The buses have been slow at times, but that wouldn’t detur me in the future.

we have stayed at CBR too big and spread out for me. We are taking our 5th trip to Disney in October and this will be our 3rd time staying at POFQ. I would switch in a minuter

We are in the minority, but POFQ is our least favourite of the moderates. It does not have a TS restaurant, the pool feels suited to families with very small children. In fact, the ONLY amenities that it has are the food court and that one pool. Yes, you can walk over to POR, but if I want that, then I stay at POR.

Don't get me wrong, we do LIKE POFQ. It just doesn't fit what we are looking for when we stay in a moderate resort. The single bus stop isn't a big draw for us and we just book preferred when we want a conveniently close location to the main areas. Meanwhile, we actually enjoy walking around the lakes in CSR and CBR.

Personally, I would stay at CBR even if it were priced higher. I definitely wouldn't move to POFQ and pay more. But, again, as I said, we are in the minority.

We told ourselves after three FQ stays and then one CBR stay that we would never stay at CBR ever again. Just didn't like the place. Now, if they would leave the price the same with the gondola system we might think k about it, but my guess it will raise and then it would be a no. FQ is just the right size, right feel resort.

Both POR and CBR are sprawling resorts. If you plan to bus, it can be draining riding through the resort when you are anxious to get to the park or return to your room. And frustating if the bus is already full and you have to wait for another. Unless you have a car or are planning to Uber.

POR grounds are the prettiest of the 3, IMHO. The feature pool at CBR can be a long distance from the room unless you booked a preferred location room. So far that some guests were riding the bus to the pool.

Sometimes POFQ and POR do share buses. It varied by park and time of day. Or at least they did early Aug 2018.

Three nights is a short but sweet stay. If you will not be spending much time at the resort, have you considered keeping CBR and just putting some of that $200 savings towards a few Uber rides?

I have yet to stay at CBR (trying it this July) but we stayed at POR last year and walked over to FQ and used their pool. Personally, I much preferred the grounds and feel of POR. I'm another in the minority, I prefer the more sprawling, beautifully landscaped resorts. Given the fact that POFQ is usually priced much higher than the other mods and is often excluded from discounts, I don't understand the draw. I'd rather pay less for more amenities at the other mods.

Let me add our trip style. We start approx 9am and finish each day by 9pm. We always have an afternoon 2-3 hour break. DH naps and I will rest a bit then a like to walk around. Honestly, its the long bus waits that usually get to me the most. We generally do not do any pool time so that is not an issue. We stayed at POR once and have not been back. Just didn’t love the theming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter