Popular songs that you associate(or have been ruined) by movies/tv/commercials, etc.

Erzengel

DIS Veteran
Jackie Wilson's "To Be Loved" in that current milk commercial, I always associate with Eddie Murphy in Coming to America.

Steeler's Wheel "Stuck in the Middle with You", I think of that scene from Reservoir Dogs.

The Five Stairsteps' "Ooh Child", I stick in Chris Pratt's character Starlord's quips from Guardians of the Galaxy..."Now, break it down hard!"

This is in the area of etc... Funky Town was ruined for me on the first day of HS. A nun was trying to be cool by using it as a learning tool in Music class. I loved that song before her class. I have hated it since.

Viva Las Vegas was ruined by a commercial for a pill. That commercial was such a crime against humanity I can't even post it.

Kohl's Black Friday

Then again that song deserved it. Also note the commercial shows her walking up to the register. Yeah sure. The line always circles to the back of the store.

Here's another ad that deserves the wall of shame.
Crumbelieveable Also is a double offender with LET'S GET READY TO CRUMMMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE.

I used to love Bruno Mars' song, "You're Amazing Just the Way You Are." Then he allowed permission to some shampoo commercial and a few other products to use the song. They EACH played the song 5 times an hour for about a year and a half. Talk about over-saturation. :headache: Now, I can't stand to hear the song anymore.
vomit-smiley.gif
:badpc:

Steeler's Wheel "Stuck in the Middle with You", I think of that scene from Reservoir Dogs.

This. So much this.

Also, I heard the song "Master of Disaster" by John Haitt (not particularly popular, but still...) when coming out of a movie that thoroughly depressed me. Done. Forevermore associated with that movie and why I cried silently for days after seeing it.

“Candle in the Wind” was forever ruined for me when Elton John changed it for Princess Di’s funeral and that version was played nonstop on every radio and TV station for MONTHS. To this day I skip both versions of the song if it somehow makes it into my rotation.

“Candle in the Wind” was forever ruined for me when Elton John changed it for Princess Di’s funeral and that version was played nonstop on every radio and TV station for MONTHS. To this day I skip both versions of the song if it somehow makes it into my rotation.
I feel the same about Imagine. After John Lennon was killed, everyone played it in his memory.

This is in the area of etc... Funky Town was ruined for me on the first day of HS. A nun was trying to be cool by using it as a learning tool in Music class.

My daughter was in band from 4th grade through 12th grade, and then studied music in college. In 5th grade, they played Funky Town. She was low brass, and played 3 quarter notes of "F" for 53 straight measures. So now whenever I hear it, I feel back for elementary school French horn players.

This.... Candle in the Wind will ALWAYS be about Marilyn Monroe to me.

So not exactly you're usual ruined a song story. But when I was younger I would listen to some of my mothers stuff.
One of the albums was Cabaret. And there was this beautiful song ("Tomorrow belongs to me")
And I use to listen to it blasting it on my headphones.
So one day blasting it on my speakers instead and dad asks me why the hell I was listening to the Nazi youth song.
To which I explained nobody to told me it was the Nazi youth song. Well it ruined it for me.

SNL has ruined several songs though the years for me. For example Don't Fear the Reaper(Cowbell skit) and Nights on Broadway(Barry Gibb Talk show skit) are totally ruined for me because that's all I hear.

Also there are some Weird Al songs where the original is on the radio and all I hear is the Weird Al version.

So not exactly you're usual ruined a song story. But when I was younger I would listen to some of my mothers stuff.
One of the albums was Cabaret. And there was this beautiful song ("Tomorrow belongs to me")
And I use to listen to it blasting it on my headphones.
So one day blasting it on my speakers instead and dad asks me why the hell I was listening to the Nazi youth song.
To which I explained nobody to told me it was the Nazi youth song. Well it ruined it for me.
Oh dear.

Speaking of ruined song stories. In the “three favorite albums thread” I mentioned “Running on Empty” as one of my all time favorites. As a kid I thought the song “Rosie” was romantic but then as I got older I started paying more attention to the words and thought ‘no, he’s a cheating scumbag.’ But that didn’t make sense either. My dad always played the album on road trips and it’s becaome a tradition in our family. So a couple years ago on our way to Disneyland I decided to look it up while we were waiting for everyone to finish a restroom break. Yeah, I was nowhere close to what it’s about. I won’t say but… I kind of wish I didn’t know now.

I hate the prescription drug commercials- In general I think it is just wrong for rx drug companies to advertise directly to the consumer... The one that comes to mind is one that uses "ABC" by the Jackson 5 .... ruined.

Not me, but a friend of mine can't listen to Journey's Don't Stop Believin' ever since that roller rink scene in the movie Monster. Not me, I love it, whenever it comes on, I'm a small town girl living in a lonely world! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter