POP or ASMu

James Yang

Earning My Ears
My family is going to WDW Aug 28-Sept 9. We have a 5 year old and 9 year old. It'll be our first time to WDW. We're debating between POP and ASMu. It's about $28 difference per night. Both are value resorts so we have read about noise (due to large groups). Our other concern is walking distance to transportation to the parks. Generally speaking, would you recommend one or the other? Pros and Cons? Thanks.

So I haven't been to any of the All Stars but I usually go to POP. From what I hear of the All Stars is sometimes they share buses so sometimes you may get on and they'll already have people on the bus from the other All Stars also I've heard the food court isn't very good. The first time we decided to stay at POP rather than the All Stars, POP won out based on reviews. It's slightly less out dated, it doesn't share buses (though I hear the All Stars don't always share buses) and has a better food court. When you do online check in you can request the building you would like (the 50's section and 60's section are closest tot he main building).

I would recommend POP. First of all, they have their own buses they don't share them like ASMu does. Secondly, I generally like the feeling of POP more, I personally think it has a better atmosphere than the all-star resorts. And lastly, POP has more choices for room choice like what section you want to be in and the food court is better. Hoped I helped :)

POP :hippie:

ASMu is laid out like no other value and standards far back. You'll want to pay for preferred.
ASMu is our least favorite resort on property and I'd likely stay offsite before returning for lots of reasons.

POP has no far room but we do prefer 50's Lake View.
POP has more landscape and greenery and feels like an upgrade from Allstars.
POP has walking path around the lake to AoA.
AOA ........ WOW, just walking around the resort is an attraction in itself.
AoA has excellent food court, nicer options than others, so you have two food courts to go to.
Kids will love the icons, giant Mickey phone, Lady, Tramp, Mowgli and Baloo, Roger Rabbit ...
Get close up photos with Mr & Mrs Potato Head, Playdough, Big Wheel ...
POP has THREE pools, two secondary pools are large with tons of seating.
POP NEVER shares buses.

I'm another one for Pop! I like it much better than all three All-Stars.
The biggest plus is having your own buses, where all the All-Stars share buses.

I just got back from a stay at All Star Movies, but we used the All Star Music buses because they were closer to our rooms. We've stayed at Coronado Springs and Boardwalk on past trips and I can honestly for the price, I would not hesitate to go back to the All Star resorts. Mind you - We were there in February and there was not any sort of dance or cheer competitions going on, but we only shared buses on two occasions and that was on our way back to the resort in the middle of the day to clean up before dinner. In the morning, and evening (when you really need it) they did not share and we never once had to stand. Distance wise - no one at Movies or Music was far from the main buildings. The furthest we walked was ultimately 3-4 minutes.

To save $400, I'd choose any of the All Stars again in a heartbeat.

I would recommend POP. First of all, they have their own buses they don't share them like ASMu does. Secondly, I generally like the feeling of POP more, I personally think it has a better atmosphere than the all-star resorts. And lastly, POP has more choices for room choice like what section you want to be in and the food court is better. Hoped I helped :)

I have to disagree with you. First off, the Music rarely shares buses. And even when they do it only adds maybe 5 minutes total to the trip. But the Music generally has it's own bus.

And I like the food court at the Music much more than the one at Pop. But that is personal taste. I like both resorts. But the one thing I really disliked about the Pop is that it seems that at the parks the bus stop is always the one farthest away from the gates. It became a joke that trip to not look at the board, but to pick out the bus stop the farthest away and that would be the Pops. And it typically is.

I would go with whichever one is cheaper. I haven't stayed at Music but I did stay at Sports and liked it better than Pop. I didn't find any of the rooms at either resort that far from the buses/food court. I liked the smallness of the Sports better than Pop since it made it feel a little less noisy and crowded in the common areas.

I have to disagree with you. First off, the Music rarely shares buses. And even when they do it only adds maybe 5 minutes total to the trip. But the Music generally has it's own bus.

And I like the food court at the Music much more than the one at Pop. But that is personal taste. I like both resorts. But the one thing I really disliked about the Pop is that it seems that at the parks the bus stop is always the one farthest away from the gates. It became a joke that trip to not look at the board, but to pick out the bus stop the farthest away and that would be the Pops. And it typically is.
I won't disagree in the fact that POP is the farthest away. Furthermore, saying that its rarely shared with Music is an overstatement. I've stayed at Music a couple times and each time it has been shared. The fact is that Music along with the all stars share buses which each other.

I have stayed at both. I have also stayed at ASMo. We actually liked our stays at the all-stars better than our stay at Pop. When we were at Pop it was overrun with baseball teams. There was trash everywhere. In front of doors and in stairwells...I felt sorry for the staff trying to keep up with all of it. Some parents actually had a keg in their room and were walking around with red solo cups. It definitely didn't feel like Disney! The staff was nice. I didn't think the food court was anything special.

When we stayed at the All-Star resorts the staff was super friendly. We even got pixie dust and got upgraded to a family suite for our ASMu stay. We were there during a busy time, and we never shared a bus with the other resorts. When we were in the ASMo, our room was in the Mighty Ducks section. It was so close to ASMu, we decided it was shorter to use their bus to come back from the parks.

I would stay at either one again, but hubby says no to Pop. The people there when we were there ruined it for him.

I won't disagree in the fact that POP is the farthest away. Furthermore, saying that its rarely shared with Music is an overstatement. I've stayed at Music a couple times and each time it has been shared. The fact is that Music along with the all stars share buses which each other.

On occasion. On the rare occasion. And I've stayed multiple times at the Music and the Sports. To make it sound like they always share is very misleading.

Yes, the bus stops are furthers when leaving the park, but I know I'm going to walk at Disney, so that doesn't bother us. We have taken AoA's bus back quite a few times our last two trips. So not only a dedicated POP bus, also have the option of hopping on AOA's bus. Also, the option to walk over to AOA and eat at their food court is a bonus.

Thanks to everyone for all the information. At the end, the price will likely drive the decision for us when it looks like one isn't clear cut better than the other. Undercover is offering $98 a night at Music. I wonder if there'll be further discount coming..

On occasion. On the rare occasion. And I've stayed multiple times at the Music and the Sports. To make it sound like they always share is very misleading.
I agree with this. It's true some people including myself sometimes perhaps over exaggerated to the degree of how the share the buses.

POP :hippie:

ASMu is laid out like no other value and standards far back. You'll want to pay for preferred.
ASMu is our least favorite resort on property and I'd likely stay offsite before returning for lots of reasons.

I disagree a little about layout of ASMu, but I definitely agree about it being least favorite. I've stayed both there and at AS Sports. AS Music's layout reminded me of a bowling alley-one long alley walk from the bus stop. And I couldn't figure out how to avoid the pool, so I had to walk through the wet, and avoid the splashes and drips every time to/from the bus stop. Not so at AS Sports-everything was spread out AROUND the main building, and I only saw the pool once-when I went looking for it. It's funny-I really expected to love AS Music, since DS is a musician, and we're kind of a "music-y" family. But I'd definitely try Pop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter