POP Century Review

angelkisses

Mouseketeer
Just returned from a 5 night stay at POP Century. This place was wonderful. I was a little skeptical about the POP until we arrived. To me looking at some of the pictures I thought it looked a little Cheesy to be honest with all the big icons but soon after arriving I realized this would become one of our families favorite resorts.

We had requested a room in the 50's building facing the lake. We read on the boards that this was one of the best locations and there was no need to pay the additional $10 a night for the preferred rooms. Our family of 4 (dh47, dd12, ds19) disagreed. There was nothing wrong with the 50's building but the kids just had a fit over the "hippy dippy pool" in the 60's building. Also the walking distance to the fabulous food court, exciting game room, gift shop and bus stops really made a difference to us. After seeing the difference we requested to change to a preferred location. We ended up on the 4th floor in the 60's building number 5. Our room number was 5465. We were pleasantly surprised that we could see fireworks from the walkway in front of our room at night. Our room overlooked the pool and I felt very safe at allowing my 12 year old swim without me constantly being at poolside. At any given time we would count 6 lifeguards! They also constantly walked around the pool keeping them alert rather than just sitting in a lifeguard chair. The lifeguards stayed on duty until 11pm and the pool was open until midnight. As far as safety my biggest concern was my daughter walking down the walkways from the room as the room doorways are set back a little from the walkway and it's hard to see around corners. I would walk my daughter to the pool and walk back to get her. This area of the hotel was a bit more noisier than the 50's but being on the top floor certainly helped and by midnight all was quiet. I never heard the flushing from the toilets from other rooms as some have described, in fact I did not hear any room noise only noise from the kids by the pool. It was nice having the refillable mugs however if we had stayed in one of the other buildings I'm sure we would not have used them nearly as much. It was great having the soda machines near the pool we were using.

My 12 year old was so delited with the hotel that it was no problem getting her to leave the parks to return back to our room. As soon as I mentioned going back to the hotel she was ready. In fact, she asked if we could return to the POP sometime even if we were not going to Disney. We looked at the outsides of many of the other resorts at Disney and with exception of the Grand Floridian she liked the looks of our hotel the best. It really is colorful and kid friendly.

Our maid service was pretty good. Each day we tipped the maid, she would leave us a bag of 12 soaps and shampoos however if we left in a hurry and did not leave a tip we would just get the basic towel service and our beds made. This happened twice. We never got any towel animals however she did make us a cute toothbrush holder out of the towels. On our last day, the maid came into our room while we were taking things out to our car. She sit down in a chair and started eating her lunch while we were doing this which I thought to be kind of odd. My daughter and I were at the gift shop while the men were taking things to the car. When my husband came to meet me in the gift shop the maid came after him. She accused him of taking her black bag which contained her ID, wallet, etc.. It was very confusing as we do not speak Spanish and she was having difficulty speaking English. Finally my husband and the maid found someone that could interpret for them. She was very excited in tears and we felt sorry for her but we had not taken her bag. In the meantime I was contacting management to see if we could get some assistance in getting this little problem resolved. When everyone went back up to our room, the bag was behind the chair she had been sitting in eating her lunch. The maid was very embarrassed and grateful that we did not get upset with her.

We checked out one day early due to illness at home. Pop was very nice in refunding one night of our stay even though it was 2pm (after regular check out time) when we checked out. We had also used a couple of our dining credits already for the following day. We did not ask for the refund it was generously offered.

I would also like to add that the rooms now have hairdryers, ironing boards and irons. I read on a few boards where there seemed to be a question as to whether the rooms had these items. The maids also keep you generously stocked with towels to be used around the pool. The rooms were small but we had ample space.

We had no problems using the bus service. Our maximum wait time was about 15 minutes but usually we waited no more than 5-10 minutes. We never moved our car the entire stay. We went to the contemporary a couple times and noticed that the bus service was much poorer from that hotel possibly because they have other means of transportation with the monorail and boats and they shared with the polynesian.

Would I recommend and go back to the POP .... just as soon as I get another FREE dining plan offer. I'll be writing a review on that real soon.

Thanks for the great review! We are DVC owners and haven't thought about staying in a value resort....until we decided to take DD and 2 GFs for a whirlwind weekend in late January '06 to celebrate her 16th birthday! We thought POP 60's building would be great fun for them...I only hope the weather is warm enough for them to swim a little in that great flower pool.

angelkisses said:
Each day we tipped the maid, she would leave us a bag of 12 soaps and shampoos however if we left in a hurry and did not leave a tip we would just get the basic towel service and our beds made.

May I ask a couple of questions? Feel free to reply via email if you consider one too personal for the board.

What tip did you feel was sufficient to get the extras you mentioned?

Were the soaps Mickey heads or just plain soap bars?

Thanks,

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

The soaps & shampoos were Mickey. She would leave one facial, one bath and one bottle of shampoo for each of us in addition to the ones regularly left to stock the bathroom. They were tied in a little bag and left on our bed. I left $3 a day tip for our family of 4. Perhaps thats a little cheap but thats what we left anyway. On days when oops I would forget I would double the next day. I was not sure if we would have the same maid each day so I preferred to tip daily rather than at the end of our stay.

My only gripe about this resort is that since it is one of the newer ones, the bus stop at most (but not all) of the theme parks is the furtherest walk :crazy2: & when you are tired from a day of walking in the park & head to the stop, see the bus there.... you can't run to catch it :guilty:
Other than that, I enjoy statying there!

A Mickeyfan said:
My only gripe about this resort is that since it is one of the newer ones, the bus stop at most (but not all) of the theme parks is the furtherest walk :crazy2: & when you are tired from a day of walking in the park & head to the stop, see the bus there.... you can't run to catch it :guilty:
Other than that, I enjoy statying there!

This is soooo true. The one time we had to wait 15 minutes for a bus was for this exact same reason. We had just missed the bus, watched it drive away!

I usually leave about $3 for mousekeeping when my dd and I are staying and then $5 when my dh is staying with us. We have yet to get anything extra....I would be happy with just plain ole good housekeeping. We did come back to find our stuffed animals on the bed, against the pillows, holding the remote, with the TV on. And once at ASMusic, we were left a TA...a swan if I remember correctly. But, I figure that, for the most part, most of the mousekeepers work pretty hard, so a little extra is warrented. But...and this is my big gripe...when my dd and I return from the parks around 1:30 in the afternoon, hot and tired and just wanting to change into our suits and swim, and we find our housekeeper in our room..well, it is annoying. We didn't come across her, but saw our door propped open and so we took a long walk around the resort. We came back again 25 minutes later and she was still there!!! It took another 10 minutes of waiting for her to finally leave. I know there are a lot of rooms to do, but it just annoyed me when I was already cranky...I mean, all she had to do was make the beds!! We were reusing our towels and not putting the wet ones in the tub. She still put fresh towels in. I know, I know...this sounds really stupid...complaining about getting fresh towels, but they put out signage asking you to reuse your towels and then the maids just ignore it. She should only have had to be in that room about 10 minutes...not half and hour or so...no wonder it takes them so long to clean if they are taking 30 minutes a room!!!

goofy4tink,

Perhaps your maid was enjoying her lunch in your room just like she did ours! I also had the same experience with reusing towels. We tried to conserve as well and would hang our towels back up but still had extra towels when we returned. In fact there was a stack of towels about a 1 1/2 foot high when we checked out that had never been used! Of course, better to have extra than not enough. We used our own beach towels for the pool area but next time I will leave them at home and save that extra packing room.

Thanks for the review. I will be there for the first time this October and I am really looking forward to it.

:flower:

swilshire said:
May I ask a couple of questions? Feel free to reply via email if you consider one too personal for the board.

What tip did you feel was sufficient to get the extras you mentioned?

Were the soaps Mickey heads or just plain soap bars?

Thanks,

Sheila

I'm not the OP but...

We left $5 a day for our Mousekeepers. We had towel animals all but one day, and when we asked for extra soaps and things, they just gave them to us.

I did notice in one of the housekeeping rooms for Cast Members Only they had some towel animals pre-made.

Where do you normally leave your tip? On the pillow, on the desk, ...
Do you write something in a piece of paper or just leave your money?

Thank You...

I forgot to bring envelopes for the tip which I highly recommend so I just left the money on a shelf above the sink with a note which merely said, "Thanks Mousekeeping".

We also just got back from a 6 nite/7 day stay @ POP. My DD9 and myself loved this resort. Our room was always clean with towel animals left out for us on our return from the parks. We had the 50's building 4th floor ,but the closest building to Everything POP ( ROOM 1408)...actually closer than most rooms in the preferred 60's Building. Most of the time we took the elevator up to the 4th floor ,but we always walked down. The only room that I may have preferred more would be the same location ,but on the 2nd floor, that way we could have walked up more often. We loved the Hippy-Dippy Pool with it's water sprays and hit the pools every day ... day and nite. Lots of people still out @ midnight...we felt very safe. The pool in the 50's Building was too warm for my liking, we tried it on our first and second nites,it seemed as though it was heated...was not refreshing ...not in the August heat. WE paid for the dining plan, missed out on the Free Dining by 3 days. It was well worth it for DD and Myself... way too much food for us ... but it was nice to know that all the meals were paid for in advance and that made the trip more relaxing in itself and we got to have a Character Meal ( or the like) everyday!!! Great vacation....would stay @ POP again for sure !!!!

Thanks for the post angelkisses. We are staying at POP Century in September. I was originally hoping to stay at PO FQ, but decided to go for two rooms at POP with the free dining plan. I was a little nervous having never stayed at POP before, but after reading your post I am really excited to be staying there. I think my 5 year old granddaughter will love it.

POP Century here we come. :cool1:

We couldn't decide which value hotel to stay at, but thanks to your review, Angelkisses,we booked PC today :banana: ! Thanks :flower:

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earboy2: princess: pirate:

Thanks for the great review. I'll be staying there for the first time this Oct. I put in a request for the 50's building. I van't wait to try out 1 of those refillable mugs I'm always hearing about.

Bit Bucket said:
Where do you normally leave your tip? On the pillow, on the desk, ...
Do you write something in a piece of paper or just leave your money?

Thank You...

We just left a note with ours, on the table. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter