Pop $84, CSR $114, or AKL $169 ?

Zandy595

DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>The other day I f
We've stayed at Pop and really liked it, but MIL is offering to help us pay the difference to stay at a mod or deluxe (where they want to stay). I've come to the conclusion that it's really not worth the extra money to stay at a mod if you like the values. I've never stayed at a deluxe. From what I've heard, it's worth the money if you get a good rate. $169 is a pretty good rate for regular season, isn't it?

Tell me what you think?

I have stayed at POR, SSR, and BWV. I like the bigger beds (queen/vs full), I also make good use of the fridge that come in mod/delux. I also love the toasters in the DVC properties, but honestly we had a great time in POR ...the themeing of the resort was great, but the locations of the deluxes are great. I think you just need to weigh $$$ vs larger room/bed/and closer location to parks. I think the AKL rate is good...can you get WL (which is usually a little cheaper). Good luck..personally if you are happy in the VAlues I would stay there...if you start on the deluxes...there is no going back :rolleyes:

Wilderness Lodge didn't have any standard rooms left for our dates. The best rate there was $230.

Depends what you are looking for in a hotel. If someone else was paying the difference I would definitely stay at a deluxe. We are big fans of AKL. And, we are also very comfortable at the POFQ and POR...we typically split our stay in the winter and do POFQ in the spring.

AKL offers lots more than the values but it depends on what you value and what you want. If you don't plan on spending any time at the resort or in your room than the value is probably good. But it sounds like your MIL is wanting to stay someplace other than a value. Satisfying her desire might be well worth the extra money .... depends ... but just a thought.

Here are a few of the differences, as I see them, between the value and the deluxe.

AKL offers

1) interior corridors
2) refrigerators in the rooms
3) queen beds instead of double beds
4) a private balcony that you can sit on and enjoy the view -- depending on the type of room you get
5) bunkbeds ... not guaranteed but available
6) an onsite restaurant -- Bomas (excellent) ... Jiko (also very good)
7) a food court (Mara)
8) a bar at the pool
9) Special viewing areas throughout the hotel for you to watch animals
10) A gorgeous lobby with lots of room to sit and people watch
11) Cast Members who are native to Africa and willing to share lots about their country
12) From time to time special exhibits in the lobby highlighting the culture of Africa
13) Night vision viewing of animals using special goggles
14) Guides posted at viewing areas around the property to talk to you about the animals, answer any questions, etc.
15) Storytelling in the evening around the campfire
16) Tons of free children activities such as the one about African music, tracking animals, feeding flamingos, animal games, etc. (can't remember all fo them)
17) Onsite childcare services, if you need them
18) Pool with pool slide
19) Slightly larger room than the moderates

Moderates offer some of the things listed above but not all of them. Most notably moderates offer a pool with a slide, larger rooms, a refrigerator in the room, different decor.

Good luck!

I saw go for it!!! This might be a once in a lifetime thing and if you can stay at a Deluxe you should try it! I haven't stayed at AKL but I hear it's wonderful! I wouldn't pass up the oppurtunity, plus your MIL and FIL will probably appreciate it very much...AKL is much calmer and quieter than Pop or All Stars. I think they probably would enjoy themselves more there, so you would both would win!

Pop $84, CSR $114, or AKL $169?

We've stayed at two of the three. Faced with those choices, I'd pick AKL every time. It's a beautiful resort; a vacation unto itself. Also, great restaurants!

I'm talking to MIL right now and she's thinking about the Contemporary ($204 per night for standard room) now because I told her my DS9 thinks we should stay there. LOL

Zandy595 said:
We've stayed at Pop and really liked it, but MIL is offering to help us pay the difference to stay at a mod or deluxe (where they want to stay). I've come to the conclusion that it's really not worth the extra money to stay at a mod if you like the values. I've never stayed at a deluxe. From what I've heard, it's worth the money if you get a good rate. $169 is a pretty good rate for regular season, isn't it?

Tell me what you think?
I am just wondering how you would get AKL for $169/night. That is my 'dream' resort.

EmmaAndQuinnsMommy said:
I am just wondering how you would get AKL for $169/night. That is my 'dream' resort.
Florida resident rate.

I just checked some dates in December at AKL - standard room $139.

We were up in the air about what resort to stay in as well and one of the deciding factors was the size of the beds. DH and I are used to sleeping in a king sized bed, so anything smaller than a queen just won't work. None of the moderates have queen beds. Believe me, I already checked. So it's deluxe for us.

Also, your MIL may be planning on enjoying the resort more than you are. I know that by the 3rd day, my mom would be wanting a little time off. The moderates and deluxes offer more opportunities for such relaxation without having to stay in the room.

I'd go for at least the moderate.

AKL all the way, it is in fact an attraction by itself. We have stayed there 2 times and have loved it both. They offer so many activities during the day for both children and adults. If you do stay there, be sure to take the dining tour. They take you through the restaraunts and show you the different culinary creations they have. When you are finished they give you one of the desserts to try.

I vote for the Contemporary, it's one of my favorites. Staying at any monorail resort is great!! At CR you can walk to MK then your the first stop on the monorail when you leave. Then TTC is first stop when you leave the CR. Makes it easy to get to Epcot. If you have a car you can drive to MGM & AK or take buses.

AKL sounds great, but now they are also considering CR and WL. LOL WL didn't have any standard rooms available online, but I'm going to call to make sure.

A couple years ago we visited friends (MIL was with us) who were staying at AKL and the thing MIL remembers the most is how bad the mosquitoes were on the balcony. That fact alone is stearing her towards CR. I don't know if we can get a standard room at CR that has been remodeled. I also don't think they realize that not all rooms are in the tower.

tkldisney said:
I vote for the Contemporary, it's one of my favorites. Staying at any monorail resort is great!! At CR you can walk to MK then your the first stop on the monorail when you leave. Then TTC is first stop when you leave the CR. Makes it easy to get to Epcot. If you have a car you can drive to MGM & AK or take buses.
Thanks for posting! I haven't heard much about CR. Do you know if it's possible to get a remodeled room in the tower at the standard room rate?

Zandy595 said:
I'm talking to MIL right now and she's thinking about the Contemporary ($204 per night for standard room) now because I told her my DS9 thinks we should stay there. LOL

:rotfl2: Those grandkids can get anything they want out of the grandparents, can't they? And I say, when they're willing to pay, let them! Especially for something like this--I love the POP, too, but I think my il's would be very uncomfortable there.

AKL is unbelievable for all the reasons the PP's listed. But it is a little out of the way, which can be a plus if you/the il's want total relaxation, but a minus if they tire easily. If that's the case (tire easily), I'd go for the CR for the monorail alone. I'm not wild about the theming there (would much prefer the Poly or AKL), but the convenience of being on the monorail line can't be beat.

Have a great stay where ever you end up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter