Pools...Budget Killer??

Jaycey'smom

Mouseketeer
We are about to get a new house that has a pool. So for those of you with them how much of your budget goes to the upkeep? We plan on cleaning it ourselves not hiring someone. Is it really hard to do? Thanks for any tips and any tips on how to save $$$ on the chemicals would be great too.

We have an above ground pool, but I'll answer until someone else comes along.

It REALLY isn't the huge deal people make it out to be!!!! Maybe it's because we're both teachers and off during the summer, but it requires far less maintenance than our lawn, and trust me, my lawn is small!!!

One important thing is to spend money on quality chemicals; the cheap ones aren't worth the money. Ask around (maybe from the current homeowners) and find someone local to help you.

The larger concern is pool safety. Be sure that the fence is secure and self-locking, and that it's difficult for someone uninvited to get into your pool. Is the entire pool fenced in, or can a toddler (your own or a visitor) walk from your back door to the pool without encountering a fence? Is there an alarm, or is there a reasonably priced one you can invest in? Pretty much assume that there's an inquisitive 2 year old in the neighborhood who can't wait to sneak into your pool, and take a long hard look at how possible it would be. (Yeah, I know he's his parent's responsibility. But you would have a hard time sleeping at night if their inattention resulted in a tragedy in your pool)

Also, take a look at the insurance; having an in ground pool may make a difference.

I don't mean to scare you; ours was the best investment EVER!!! The kids were bugging me today about opening it, and we're all awaiting the warm weather so we can jump in!

Thanks! It is a inground pool that has a screen around it. The backyard also has a privacy fence that can be locked so someone would have to jump over the 6ft fence and get through the screen porch to get to it. Our DD is 10 (and can maybe swim better than me...:rotfl: ) so I am not worried about her, actually more concerned that our Maltese will fall in and not get out so we are getting floating ramps. :thumbsup2 I am glad to hear that it is not that much $$ to keep it clean!

You can have your water tested at a local pool supply store for free. They will tell you exactly what you need to add and how much. You can expect to pay at least $30.00+ dollars a month on chemicals (summertime). It makes a big difference if you buy bulk or not.

It's not hard after you learn what you need to do:

Balance the pool water (PH, alkalinity, calcium, cyanuric acid)
Keep the pool chlorinated & shock regularly
Run the pump at least 8 hrs a day in the Florida summer
Keep the filter clean
Brush the walls weekly & vacuum up debris

You can PM me if you have any specific questions (I work in the swimming pool industry)

Very good sdzman. Were you just at our Bioguard Pool School, LOL.... I also work in the swimming pool industry...

I read about some people having a salt water system? Is this for inground or is it also for above ground pools? AND.........What is it?
Thanks

I read about some people having a salt water system? Is this for inground or is it also for above ground pools? AND.........What is it?
Thanks

We have a salt system, and I could be wrong, but I believe it's just for inground pools. Essentially, you dump bags of salt in your pool, which converts to chlorine. It's a little more up front, but you save money on chemicals in the long run. We love it! The kids' bathing suits actually last through the summer - and they're in there daily. Before, they'd be all bleached out within a matter of weeks. My blond headed kids' hair doesn't turn green. And I love that my skin feels soft instead of all dried out after a day in the pool.

We're playing with the above ground pool idea. How much for electricity? Thats my main concern - does it raise your bill tremendously?

I get my pool chemicals online through www.poolgeek.com. They are delivered to my door and I save so much money buying through them than my local pool shops here on the Cape. I did buy chemicals through the local shops for about 20 years, but never again, I've saved over $1300 over last season and this season so far. I buy Bioguard products they are the same name as I used to buy here. I wouldn't use anything other than Bioguard. If you want to know specifics about which products I love you can send me a pm.

The electric is over $150/mo to run the pool and gas to heat is another $100.

How old is the pool? When our pool was around 15 years old we needed a new liner they get brittle and start getting holes after a while depending on use.

We have also completely redone the wiring (it gets old after about 20 years), got a new heater, new pump, chlorinator, new self-vac (Polaris), new filter and some new nets, vacuum hoses, heads etc.

Also, the lanscaping is being redone now, it was all overgrown and just ugly after 20 years, so we took out some trees and planted California privet, mulch with edging. The pool deck has to be power washed painted every other year if it's painted cement to keep it looking nice.

We have enjoyed the pool a lot especially when my son was growing up, but now not so much we just dip and it's nice, but with just the two of us it's not the lively back yard BBQ, lots of kids spot it used to be. If we had it to do all over again we would especially with kids!

Our total electric bill does not go over $250 a month, that includes and inground pool running for atleast 8 hours a day every day. We buy the big buckets of chlorine at walmart and don't go through more then 3 a year, closer to 2. We run the pool for 3 hours day from October through April.

We don't spend more then $100 a year on extras, that includes shock, new brushes, nets, etc that we replace when worn out. We have a polaris also and as much as my husband doesn't like it, it keeps the pool spotless. It is much less maintenance then we ever imagined. Filter replacement is $240 a year, $120 each x 2.

We have an inground salt system pool.....cost for salt & misc chemicals is negligable (we spent about $30 over the last 6 months)

The biggest cost is electric. About $100 extra a month.

However, the benefits far outway the cost. WE LOVE IT. It's like having a resort in your backyard. We find we have much more quality family time with the pool...we talk a hole lot more...when we are all in the house we all go our separate ways. Also, in the summer we find outselves spending much less money going away for weekends, eatting out etc because we are by the pool.

If you are looking to buy a house with a pool...ask for 12 months of their utility bills you will see the true cost. Also,

Also, it's probably only regional, but...

Island Recreation on Long Island sells pools, cheap. Personally I wouldn't buy anything THAT cheap, as sometimes you get what you pay for. But every season I head there a few times and pick up a bunch of their $1 specials-- floaties and tubes and a variety of other options. It keeps the whole neighborhood happy all summer long.

Electric-
we have an inground pool 18' x 34' and I would say last year it cost us about $60-$70month for electric.

Chemicals-
I think the price of the pool chemicals depends on the amount of use the pool is getting and also if there are trees right in the area. (might cause it to be more acidic). We get a huge bucket of chlorine pucks at Bjs 40 lbs for $70 which will last us for the season. We do not have children so it is usually just a couple of adults & (the one that gets the most use of it is our yellow lab).
If we have a pool party or more than over a handful of people in it then we shock it that night.. (@ $10). Very rarely do we have to mess around with the ph.

Gas-
We heat it with gas at the beginning of the season to get it up to a certain temp. then shut the heater off. We cover it with a solar cover and when it starts to cool off in mid Aug. we turn the heater back on. (probably about $60 month)

We ran ours for two months before we moved into our house. We were still building the house, but the pool was ready two months before then. Our electrical, running it 8-10 hours a day was $75 a month.

Thanks

We have a salt system on our inground that we transferred from the above ground. Installation for the above ground was a bit different, but more important was that the system we bought for the above ground was sized appropriately for the inground. (We had a salt system already on the above ground that we needed to replace, so knowing we planned to build a new pool we bought a unit that would work when we got a larger pool)

Maintenance is super easy. Not that I do it :rotfl: , but my DH spends only a few dollars a month on muriatic acid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter