Pool atmosphere and food quality - HRH vs. RPR

Gentry2004

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a fantastic stay at HRH, our first stay at any Universal property. Two of the things we loved the most were the gorgeous pool area and the outstanding food at the pool restaurant (Beach Club) and the Kitchen, which share a menu/kitchen.

We are already looking to rebook for this coming winter and RPR is also available (it was not available for the trip we just took) - can anyone comment on the pool area and pool restaurant food for RPR? Will we be disappointed after HRH?

Due to park proximty my husband only wants to stay at one or the other of these two. Thanks.

I believe the stickies has some info on the food menu that is available at poolside for both hotels

We stay exclusively at RPR and HRH when at Universal. I really like them both and am always happy, no matter which I end up booking. Mostly availability dictates, sometimes pricing, when figuring out which one I'll book.
Been to both many times over the years.

RPR---I think there are more shady areas around the pool here. Chill vibe. Has a sandy area, but rarely use it (slightly out of the way, to me).
The nachos from Bula Bar can feed a family of 4....they're huge!

HRH---Music underwater is a cool touch, and the live music is fun (not sure if the live music is currently happening). Mainly sit in the large sandy area here!
Always enjoy the large, fresh salads from the menu.

And yes, park proximity is such an awesome plus!!!

We've stayed at both. I think both questions are very subjective, but we'd prefer HRH for both food options and pool atmosphere.

At HRH, its more of an adult vibe (still family friendly of course) and seems to be more of a lively/party type of atmosphere with the bar/restaurant essentially overlooking the pool and the rock music playing. At RPR, I agree with PP that its more laidback and quiet, the music isn't as pronounced. I've been to Bula Bar once and it seemed a little more private than the bar at HRH.

For food, at HRH, we love the Kitchen and enjoy Emack & Bolio's for a quick coffee and pastry in the morning. RPR has a similar grab and go type marketplace, and Jake's is nice but we don't think Jake's or Islands compares to the Kitchen. The Beach Club vs Bula Bar would be a draw for me - they're both good.

I think HRH is a couple steps closer to City Walk than RPR, but if you spend more of your time at IOA, then RPR is a better location. We spend more time at Universal and prefer HRH for that reason. I think RPR tends to run a little cheaper than HRH, if budget is a concern.

Lastly, I think the overall vibe at both resorts is different too. Once (pre-pandemic) we returned to HRH and found En Vogue doing a ticketed concert in the lobby. Kind of cool, nice to have that goings on. RPR feels a little more "luxurious" for lack of a better word, with the beautiful lobby space and formal service. HRH is intentionally laid back and "cool" - that's their shtick.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Since you've recently stayed at HRH, it might be nice to try RPR. You can always visit HRH for a meal too.

Agree with previous posts... they are both great resorts! We have stayed at both. For my family everyone except me prefers HR. Hubby and 3 kids ages 22, 18, 16 like HR more for the closer walk, bigger pool bar, slide at the pool, and bigger rooms. I do like the food more at HR and the club food for sure. I like RP more due to the atmosphere

Both are lovely. I prefer HRH’s as the Pool deck feels more spacious that long (in orlando terms) water slide is very nice to occupy the kiddos.

Their pool food is quite good, do think Jakes’ offerings/quality are generally far better than the Kitchen, which can be decidedly hit or miss

A minor quibble, now & again we will encounter a server @ HRH trying just a bit too hard re that too cool for school vibe. No need, Loews recognized level of great service never goes out of style.

We’ve stayed at both, once each. Never made it to the pools or pool bars though. Love the Kitchen family style breakfast on the weekend. For us it comes down to room type and pricing since we have been very happy at both!!

ETA - we actually ate at the Kitchen our last trip when we stayed at RPR. Go figure! It’s convenient enough to enjoy both hotels on the same trip - have they started allowing pool hopping again yet?

Love the Kitchen family style breakfast on the weekend.
Did you visit the Kitchen during the pandemic? Just curious if they are doing breakfast family style now while the pandemic is still occurring. They used to have my favorite breakfast buffet and they had quite a spread, so I'm curious how a family style service compares.

Yes, we went in February 2021 and really enjoyed it. Going back in two weeks!
It looks like the have a buffet set up by the bar but the wait staff plates it all for your table I imagine depending how many are in your party. They give you fresh fruit, pastries, scrambled eggs (with or without cheese), potato casserole, bacon and sausage, French toast, pancakes, and each person can order an omelet as well!!! Just like when we went to Chef Mickey’s before characters returned and they had family style- I actually prefer it to a buffet! I think they can keep the food fresher and warmer with just having the wait staff get it for you!

Yes, we went in February 2021 and really enjoyed it. Going back in two weeks!
It looks like the have a buffet set up by the bar but the wait staff plates it all for your table I imagine depending how many are in your party. They give you fresh fruit, pastries, scrambled eggs (with or without cheese), potato casserole, bacon and sausage, French toast, pancakes, and each person can order an omelet as well!!! Just like when we went to Chef Mickey’s before characters returned and they had family style- I actually prefer it to a buffet! I think they can keep the food fresher and warmer with just having the wait staff get it for you!
Thanks for the info! I know when they had the self-serve buffet pre-pandemic that had a huge assortment of pastries and a couple kinds of breakfast pizzas too. Was that included? Sounds like they still have a lot of the same, which is good!

I don’t think the breakfast pizzas were included in the family style but I’m sure you could order whatever a la carte as well. But you won’t need to because they will keep bringing more of anything you want/need!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!