Polynesian Resort Standard View Room Request!

kayli2299

Earning My Ears
I will be staying at the Polynesian next week and have booked a standard room. I've read on a few other posts to use touring plans to request a room, but without using their service is there another way to request a specific room with a better standard view (as opposed to looking out at the parking lot)? We are surprising my mom and brother for their birthdays, and based off what I've seen it seems like Disney is pretty great when it comes to helping out with requests! Does anyone have any advice? Who should I call? What building should I request? Thanks!

Simply call whomever you booked through (WDW, travel agent, etc.) and ask them to place requests on your reservation. Locations to request are based on personal preference. If you don't want to be near the main entrance areas, I would request Fiji or Aotearoa, but, if room location is more important (close to elevator, quiet room, third floor or first floor, etc.), you may want to make those types of requests.

If doing online check-in, there's a drop down menu with a few things you can choose from. But, I like to request a range of room #'s to get in a certain area or certain side of a building. I think allears.net has some pretty great tools for this, like a pic of the actual resort layout that WDW hands you at check-in & description of how room #'s work. So, when I call I would say 'I would like room 3300-3420, even #'d room please'. Which decoded, might mean building 3, top floor, east side and gives them many room #'s to assign me. If I say I want room 3362, I've pigeon holed it to one room & if someone's in there or its offline for booking, I'm out of luck.

We always stay standard at the Poly. Here is my request preferences (and yes, call them). Do you want a balcony or a patio? If so, you need to be 3rd or 1st floor. We prefer balcony's now--no overhead noise--but when our kids were little (i.e. likely they would have been noisy!) we requested ground floor :-). We prefer location more than view--but that is individual preference. I personally did not enjoy Fiji, which is more of a "view" but on a crowded walkway and further from Ticket and Transportation center. We like walking to/from the TTC so we don't have to take the resort monorail, then switch to the other monorail to get to Epcot. Our top choice is Raratonga, and I always request near elevator so this way I am also very close to the Great Ceremonial Hall. Its also super close to both pools. So for us, its location. Views are often of the Monorail--which we think is actually pretty cool to watch. Good luck! Love the Poly!

Are all of the standard view rooms at Raratonga on the monorail side?
No, most of the north facing side of Rarotonga is considered standard view. A few of these rooms may be in the pool/marina category, but most are standard. These rooms face greenery, pathways, and the quiet pool. You may be able to see the lagoon from some of these rooms. Touring plans.com has a hotel room viewer.

I’d like to correct myself. After writing this post, I went over to touringplans.com and noticed most of the north facing Rarotonga rooms are now listed in the pool/marina category. This must have changed recently because a month ago most of these rooms were popping up at standard. I thought most of the pool/marina view rooms were in Samoa or Fiji. It looks like there are still some standard view rooms on the 1st floor of north facing Rarotonga. I’m curious how accurate this is.

Last edited:
Hmm ok thanks. We would like to be near Oasis pool because we have patio reserved a few days but more importantly we want third floor with a nice view

We always stay standard at the Poly. Here is my request preferences (and yes, call them). Do you want a balcony or a patio? If so, you need to be 3rd or 1st floor. We prefer balcony's now--no overhead noise--but when our kids were little (i.e. likely they would have been noisy!) we requested ground floor :-). We prefer location more than view--but that is individual preference. I personally did not enjoy Fiji, which is more of a "view" but on a crowded walkway and further from Ticket and Transportation center. We like walking to/from the TTC so we don't have to take the resort monorail, then switch to the other monorail to get to Epcot. Our top choice is Raratonga, and I always request near elevator so this way I am also very close to the Great Ceremonial Hall. Its also super close to both pools. So for us, its location. Views are often of the Monorail--which we think is actually pretty cool to watch. Good luck! Love the Poly!

Do you call the Poly direct and just speak with the CM that answers or do you call Disney’s main number?

I’d like to correct myself. After writing this post, I went over to touringplans.com and noticed most of the north facing Rarotonga rooms are now listed in the pool/marina category. This must have changed recently because a month ago most of these rooms were popping up at standard. I thought most of the pool/marina view rooms were in Samoa or Fiji. It looks like there are still some standard view rooms on the 1st floor of north facing Rarotonga. I’m curious how accurate this is.

My opinion - from what I read around the boards and following the topic my impression is that the exact pool/marina rooms are somewhat of an unknown. Maybe TP got some legit info and updated their site, but I see more reports of people that had standard view in Rarotonga than pool view.

I’m also not sure I’d be all that happy if I had a pool/marina view room booked and had Rarotonga north facing. Some/many of those rooms would be a bit of a stretch (in my opinion).

I’m somewhat suspicious.

and based off what I've seen it seems like Disney is pretty great when it comes to helping out with requests!

I hope you have a great trip and good luck with your room requests.

I just wanted to make the typical disclaimer that room requests are just that, requests. Poly (especially Poly standard view) runs pretty darn full nearly 365 days of the year, so sometimes room assignors just can’t meet everyone’s requests. Just don’t want you to get your hopes up too high just in case you get something opposite of what your request.

Have fun!

Do you call the Poly direct and just speak with the CM that answers or do you call Disney’s main number?

Disney main reservation number: (407) 939-5277

Any number that is listed as a “direct” Poly number that you may find from Disney or around the Internet really goes to a central call center, just FYI.

Hmm ok thanks. We would like to be near Oasis pool because we have patio reserved a few days but more importantly we want third floor with a nice view
Raratonga would be awesome for you then! One side faces the monorail, and the other faces the Oasis pool. Now We were placed on third floor near the opposite end of the elevator once, and it was more greenery and you could see the bus stop, less monorail. We've also stayed in Samoa too--but honestly, Raratonga is so nice for location we slightly prefer it. If you want to be near the Oasis pool, your best bets are Raratonga, Samoa, or Nuie (I am not sure if I am spelling that correctly!). The other non-DVC longhouses are on the other side of the resort--NOT close to the pools!

I just wanted to make the typical disclaimer that room requests are just that, requests. Poly (especially Poly standard view) runs pretty darn full nearly 365 days of the year, so sometimes room assignors just can’t meet everyone’s requests. Just don’t want you to get your hopes up too high just in case you get something opposite of what your request.

I was going to say something similar - my room requests in the past haven't always worked, especially in busy times. You may get lucky, but if a good view is really important to you, I'd just book the category you really want... because getting your hopes up and then looking at a parking lot can be a letdown.

Which do you think is more likely to help with a room request, checking in when you arrive or checking in via MDE?

Which do you think is more likely to help with a room request, checking in when you arrive or checking in via MDE?
Neither, as rooms are generally assigned several days before you arrive. Using the online checkin is not good because it only gives you a few canned requests to pick. There is no where to write in your request. As stated above, the best way to make a request is to call the main number and ask that your room request be added to your reservation.
Denise

Rooms are assigned several days in advance, so don’t wait until the last minute. Other than that, it doesn’t matter when. I will usually do it early just so I don’t forget.
I've read others state to call or fax 5 days in advance of reservation because that is when they do the room assigning. Are you saying to just put the request in prior to 5 days?

I will be staying at the Polynesian next week and have booked a standard room. I've read on a few other posts to use touring plans to request a room, but without using their service is there another way to request a specific room with a better standard view (as opposed to looking out at the parking lot)? We are surprising my mom and brother for their birthdays, and based off what I've seen it seems like Disney is pretty great when it comes to helping out with requests! Does anyone have any advice? Who should I call? What building should I request? Thanks!
Just wondering how this worked out for you? Which building did you end up getting, and were you pleased? We go next week! So excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter