Polynesian or Yacht Club ...Which one?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by gg060571, Feb 16, 2017.

1. gg060571

gg060571 Earning My Ears

Hi, I am looking at vacation Aug 15 - Aug 20 at either Polynesian or YC....difference in cost is only $62 so obviously this doesn't make a difference. It will only be me and my DS 10, I haven't stayed at either but have always wanted to try both. Any opinions!!:D

HBGdancermom likes this.
  2. NJ Goofy

NJ Goofy DVC Member - SSR & BWV

Both resorts are very nice, the pool at the YC is great. I think it comes down to would you rather be at EPCOT's backdoor or a boat and/or monorail away from MK ???

Sepo, HBGdancermom and Babsy like this.
  3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Resort.

to hide this advert.
  4. gingerfeathers

gingerfeathers DIS Veteran

I love them both and would jump at the chance to stay at either one again! I would say pick which park you're more likely to frequent: MK or Epcot? Does your son have a thing for boats or a thing for monorails? If boats, YC. If the monorail is cooler to him, Poly.

Either way, you can't make a bad decision between those two!

Babsy likes this.
  5. VACamm

VACamm DIS Veteran

I've never stayed at either, but I have visited both for dinner. If I was trying to decide, I think I would try the Poly! Gotta love that Monorail!!

mickeynut1 and Babsy like this.
  6. Mousemommy1

Mousemommy1 DIS Veteran

We have stayed at the YC and loved it, however, we have stayed at all of the MK resorts (except Poly, which will we stay at in August) and for us, there is just something "magical" about the MK resorts. I can't really explain it, but our most enjoyable stays have been there (especially GF and WL). Can't wait to try the Poly finally!!

HBGdancermom and Babsy like this.
  7. westie55

westie55 Mouseketeer

You really can't go wrong with either. I'd think about your park plans. As others have said, YC is more convenient to DHS and Epcot but the Poly is more convenient to MK. If the resort pool is a major factor, I'd pick YC as Stormalong Bay is awesome. However, I do think the comparisons to a water park take it a bit too far. It's a super extensive resort pool, but isn't anywhere close to a water park. YC gets you closet to the Boardwalk if you plan to go there. Poly is closer to the other MK resorts, so also consider where your ADRs are if you've booked anything at a resort. Other than that, look at lots of resort photos with your son and pick what theme appeals to you most!

8. Babsy

Babsy DIS Veteran

I always choose the Poly over the YC, because I prefer the MK area to the Epcot area resorts. The rooms are larger and the views of the MK spectacular and magical. Plus easy access to the MK and Epcot wins (IMO) over easy access to the DHS and Epcot. The pool at Stormalong Bay is nice, but the Poly Volcano is also quite nice.

I guess it depends upon if you prefer to be close to Epcot and DHS and want Stormalong Bay, or enjoy the larger room and easier access to the MK.

ETA: you are pretty certain of a balcony at the YC, but not at the POLY. Something else to consider (unless staying DVC)

HBGdancermom and mickeynut1 like this.
  9. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

I agree! We love staying in the MK area as we find there to be more of a variety of dining/shopping options and it doesn't get more magical (IMO) than seeing the castle every day. Also, while we enjoyed SAB, the Poly pool is our favorite :goodvibes.

10. Babsy

Babsy DIS Veteran

Good point about the dining. WE prefer the dining in the MK resorts as well. You DO have WS in Epcot at the YC, which is also nice, but the resort dining is better at the Poly (IMO). Plus we really enjoy the dining at the CR and GF, which are a short monorail ride away and do not require a park ticket/hopper.

mickeynut1 likes this.
  11. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2

12. gg060571

gg060571 Earning My Ears

I am very intrigued of the thought of seeing the castle from the Poly. My son definitely likes MK better than Epcot (probably his least favorite park). I am leaning toward the Polyneisan!!

gingerfeathers and mickeynut1 like this.
  13. HappilyEverAfter80

HappilyEverAfter80 DIS Veteran

We were trying to decide between Beach Club and the Poly and chose Poly... I love the vibe of both resorts, but the more tropical Hawaiian theme wins a bit.. plus can't beat the monorail to both MK and Epcot!
    This trip we will either only do one day at HS or none, and 2 days each at MK and Epcot, so Poly made more sense. Staying same week as you by the way ;)

Edited to say I know BC is not YC but they are next door and share a pool.

mickeynut1 likes this.
  14. ktlm

ktlm DIS Veteran

In August if you are planning pool time I would choose YC for your DS. It has the best pool area on property. As far as resorts themselves, I love the Poly too. We have stayed both places. They are both great. You can't go wrong with either. I will say that YC is doing a refurbishment right now. I have seen reports of noise etc. in the last week or so. I don't know if that is supposed to be completed by August- someone else will probably know the answer to that.

15. jcarwash

jcarwash DIS Veteran

The difference is $62 total or per night? If it's $62 total, I would choose Polynesian for sure.

HBGdancermom likes this.
  16. mi*vida*loca

mi*vida*loca Collect memories, not things

In August when it's surface of the sun hot I would go with the YC for the amazing pool. My kids preferred BC over the Poly when we did a split stay. The monorail doesn't always run which can be a PIA. Walking to two parks is much more convenient than the monorail IMO.

17. CinderellaCupcake

CinderellaCupcake Earning My Ears

Poly is so amazing. Even just the view walking through the lobby to outside.. you see a straight view of the castle and it's unbelievable. You won't regret it! I also love the convenience of the transportation (not that all WDW resorts don't have transportation, I'm just saying I love the monorail and boat options). We had a DVC room and it was fantastic. The whole resort seems so peaceful. Have fun!

mickeynut1 likes this.
  18. Farro

Farro It's a pasta! It's a grain! What?

Stayed at Yacht/Beach numerous times. Staying at Polynesian in October. The Polynesian is a draw to us because it has a bit more "action" than the Yacht Club, which can be quiet to downright tomb-like after 9pm. And while we loved having Epcot so close, we look forward to staying near the Magic Kingdom. In the end, we found we wanted to spend more of days/nights at Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom than we did Epcot.

Either way, you win! :)

19. gingerfeathers

gingerfeathers DIS Veteran

If MK is his favorite, I would say definitely go for the Poly. The monorail makes it so easy to pop over there quickly.

HBGdancermom likes this.
  20. rosiebean

rosiebean Mouseketeer

I'd let your son look at the rooms, pool, grounds, etc. via the web (and POV videos) and ask which he thinks looks more fun. Be sure to let him know that Poly is close to MK if that's his favorite resort.

My two DSs (who stayed at YC and loved it their one and only time at WDW) are helping me chose a resort for our stay this summer, and they are having a ball researching location, amenities, rooms, pools (they love looking and critiquing slide POV videos), etc. In the end, I'll have final say so. But their input will play a large part.

21. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

I would agree with this. Not because I like the Poly better than the YC. I actually prefer the YC, but if it's not food and wine time and the Poly is only 62.00 dollars more I would take it. As great as the pool is at YC pool time that time of year is always iffy. The lightning will close the pools sometimes for hours. At least that's been my experience going early September. It could be I've just had bad luck. I would do a split stay the best of both worlds.