Poly room refurbishment...true?

amg35

DIS Veteran
If so, when is it happening? or did it?

and most importanly...are they finally getting rid of those god-awful bedspreads?? :rotfl:

This information can seriously make the difference between choosing the Poly or the Beach Club!

Thanks!!

Wait, also...if we are going at a time of year where the parks close early, which resort would you suggest for a better night-time atmosphere? Poly or Beach Club? We will eat dinner around 8 or so...but will head back to resort for wine or cocktails to end the night. Which one do you like better, we stay up 'til at least midnight (it's Disney, we realize it won't be hopping! :) )..which would you choose?

If so, when is it happening? or did it?

and most importanly...are they finally getting rid of those god-awful bedspreads?? :rotfl:

This information can seriously make the difference between choosing the Poly or the Beach Club!

Thanks!!

Wait, also...if we are going at a time of year where the parks close early, which resort would you suggest for a better night-time atmosphere? Poly or Beach Club? We will eat dinner around 8 or so...but will head back to resort for wine or cocktails to end the night. Which one do you like better, we stay up 'til at least midnight...which would you choose?

Disney has not announced anything official. But, the word is, yes, the POLY will undergo refurb in 2013. The refurb is said to start with the Hawaii (CL) building in January and all the buildings will be done by June.

Based on the photos of the test rooms I have seen, yes, the bedspreads will be gone. :goodvibes

Disney has not announced anything official. But, the word is, yes, the POLY will undergo refurb in 2013. The refurb is said to start with the Hawaii (CL) building in January and all the buildings will be done by June.

Based on the photos of the test rooms I have seen, yes, the bedspreads will be gone. :goodvibes

Ooooh, where are the photos, if you don't mind me asking??

The tikiman pages has some photos and there were some posted on the Poly thread of the new Tonga suites (but the test rooms look very similar).

Thanks, the rooms look great!!

So what's your opinion on the night-time atmoshphere? Pretty good for having a 10pm drink or so? When I was at the Yacht Club, it was like a ghost town at about 10pm and this was in June!! I'm not looking for wild parties, :rotfl:, but a few people to chit chat with would be nice. :)

So what's your opinion on the night-time atmoshphere? Pretty good for having a 10pm drink or so? When I was at the Yacht Club, it was like a ghost town at about 10pm and this was in June!! I'm not looking for wild parties, :rotfl:, but a few people to chit chat with would be nice. :)

I've actually never stayed at the Poly...but I want to!!! Waiting until after the refurb though!! :goodvibes

I've actually never stayed at the Poly...but I want to!!! Waiting until after the refurb though!! :goodvibes

No need to wait for the refurb unless you want to stay in CL. they will do one building at a time by closing it entirely. The other guests will not be inconvenienced at all. Once a building is finished they will move onto the next.

CL is a bit different. The last time there was a room refresh b the moved CL to the Tahiti Building. Because they were doing other things as well as the refresh it was closed for a few months. This time, however, it's simp,y a refresh (changing wall treatments, carpets etc. and should be about a month per building. It was decided that they would have no CL during the time Hawaii is closed.

No need to wait for the refurb unless you want to stay in CL. they will do one building at a time by closing it entirely. The other guests will not be inconvenienced at all. Once a building is finished they will move onto the next.

CL is a bit different. The last time there was a room refresh b the moved CL to the Tahiti Building. Because they were doing other things as well as the refresh it was closed for a few months. This time, however, it's simp,y a refresh (changing wall treatments, carpets etc. and should be about a month per building. It was decided that they would have no CL during the time Hawaii is closed.

I have to wait until after the refurb if I want a discount!!! :rotfl2:

I was going to book Poly for our April trip, but there were no GV rooms available under my discount because a few buildings overlap in their closure schedule and less GV rooms were available in inventory.

There is no way I would ever pay rack rate for the Poly. :goodvibes

Oh, and based on the test rooms, the refurb includes furniture too, as well as redoing the plumbing...and all rooms should have double sinks after that...obviously we shall see when it's actually done, but that's the word on the street and the word on the permit that was filed with the county.

Poly always has activity in the evenings....because people come to watch Wishes from the beach there. The lobby is always busy until Ohana closes, because that's where people wait to get in. The bar by Ohana is usually packed. Whether we are staying there or not, we always find it to be lively until about 11pm.

we stayed in the Hawaii building on the first day they opened after the last refurb (think it was October 2005). Strangely enough, by sheer coincidence we are also booked to be in the new rooms on the first day they will be open after this refurb! No, we did not plan it either time.

It was nice to know that noone else had used the bedspreads yet so we could use them without being skeeved out, lol! Usually we remove the bedspreads when we arrive and place them in the closet for the week, but it's a silly novelty not to have to do that when you know you are the first ones to use them. :rotfl:

So what's your opinion on the night-time atmoshphere? Pretty good for having a 10pm drink or so?

Poly was one of the best places I've stayed for night time stuff to do. It was March when we stayed there so every night we'd sit at the bar and watch March Madness recaps and have a few drinks until pretty late as I recall. You also have the option to take your drink down to the Poly beach and watch Wishes or just sit on the beach and hang.

We haven't stayed at the Poly yet, mostly because we're not crazy about the rooms - especially the beds! Whenever I see the room photos on WDW's site, it doesn't say "Deluxe" to me - therefore, I'm not too keen on paying the Deluxe price ;)

Now, if they had the nice, puffy down bedsets like the Contemporary... then we're talking. :thumbsup2
The Poly can still keep to their theme, with darker/tropical colors... just not that itchy comforter!

We were at the Poly last January, and I'm very glad to hear it's getting a refurb, because although there were many things we loved about the resort, we felt that the interiors were getting a little beat up. I think Poly definitely wins on night-time atmosphere. It is livelier later than many other resorts and the grounds are just as beautiful by night as by day. I loved the pathways lit by tiki torches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!