Poly elevators and scooters?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I just read a trip report that said that poly elevators are NOT accessible to scooters, so you need to request the first floor. Does anyone here have experience staying at Poly with a scooter? If so, did you stay on the first floor, or did your ECV fit in the elevator? I've never stayed at Poly, and I'm wondering if I should request first floor although usually I prefer an upper floor. I'll be staying in one of the DVC buildings if that matters.

I read that same report, but I haven't ever been on the room building elevators (just the ones in GCH.) But I would think that if you can get three people and even just one suitcase in the elevator, you can get an ECV in. It just might not be obvious, and it might take some maneuvering.

I was confused because I have taken an ECV in that elevator, not much room for a second person, but still doable, especially if you can do so on your own. At least that was my experience.

They also had 2 scooters, and possibly didn't want to split up the scooters by waiting for the elevator?

There are two elevators in the two DVC long houses I have stayed in, one larger one and one smaller one...both fit ECV's but the larger one is obviously preferable...smaller one would probably only fit one...it already feels cramped with just a stroller and 2-3 people.

I read that report as well. I have used a scooter, but not at Poly, and never had a problem with the elevator. I have never read that either. Perhaps it is the rear basket Gold Mobility uses?

I read that report as well. I have used a scooter, but not at Poly, and never had a problem with the elevator. I have never read that either. Perhaps it is the rear basket Gold Mobility uses?
Very probably. That means the issue is with the ECV accessories, though - not with the elevator.

They also had 2 scooters, and possibly didn't want to split up the scooters by waiting for the elevator?
Possibly, but even that is a minimal inconvenience since each building has, at most, three floors.

I had a scooter from Gold Mobility with the rear basket last year and it fit in the elevator at BCV just fine. The year before that I had a scooter from Buena Vista with no basket and it fit in just as well. Come to think of it, although I've heard lots of complaints about the basket being awkward, it wasn't for me.
I'm thinking that the problem was that the scooter didn't fit along with the other people. Since my trip will be solo, all I ever have to worry about is getting the scooter into the elevator, no one else. I agree, I've never seen 2 scooters in one elevator at a Disney resort, but I have often seen accompanying standees.

When I read that report I wondered what they talking about...

We have stayed at Poly in a second floor room and used the Rarotonga elevator, but not with a scooter. The elevator was similar in size to what I recall of the Beach Club elevator, which fit a BV scooter but not much else [we fit scooter + 1 person standing at BC] -- straight in, straight out.

So while I can't say for sure it would fit a scooter, I am pretty sure it would have. A rear basket might have been an issue, making it too long...

SW

We stayed at the Poly 3-4 years ago in one of the DVC buildings. Sorry, I don't remember which. We were on the 3rd floor and had a scooter for my Mom. It was tight in the elevator, but she definitely fit. We definitely also rode with a family with 2 small umbrella strollers at least once, and while it was tight, it did work ok.

No, those elevators can BARELY FIT a full size scooter. I hope they get new elevators soon!

I haven’t been in a Poly elevator except in the big lobby area.

But here’s my experience with a tiny elevator. Our New Orleans condo has two of the smallest elevators I’ve ever seen. Four people fill it, and there’s a weight limit of less than 500 pounds.

But I never had an issue using my scooter in it. I just went straight in and backed straight out. I first did not think it would fit so angled slightly and that was fine too until I realized I didn’t have to do that.

We replaced the elevators 3 years ago, but they are no larger as the shaft could not be made larger. The building is 50+ years old.

I think the issue comes up sometimes when people think they need to turn around in the elevator. So good luck to all. Hope it works.

Not sure who had trouble but I've stayed at PVB many times, always on an upper floor which I prefer and never had any issues getting the scooter in any of the elevators. I wouldn't even give it a single thought.

It depends on the house, some of the older long houses have very small cube style elevators that allow ECV's to fit but at such a weird angle it can seem impossible (depending on brand and model). I sometimes struggle with a double stroller! So while I don't think they are too small to fit, I do think their size and shape create some tangible problems for sure!

If I had an ECV I would definitely request a lower floor, we do with our strollers but the last time we went we got the long house we wanted but not the floor... a good compromise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter