POLL - Should Starbucks be at Walt Disney World?

POLL-- Does Starbucks Belong at Walt Disney World?

• Yes, I love Starbucks

• No Way Starbucks is overrated

• Depends on the Price

• I don't care

• Disney should offer something "special" not Starbucks

• It's fine, but I will get my coffee elsewhere

Results are only viewable after voting.
Have they backed down from this? I read that here just a few days ago.. Or was that just a rumour?

Disney haven't changed a thing about their plans.

The over-reacting, panic stricken folk just seem to have finally read the press release with a level head and realised what is actually happening.

Disney haven't changed a thing about their plans.

The over-reacting, panic stricken folk just seem to have finally read the press release with a level head and realised what is actually happening.

It's nice that Disney lets us in on the plans, but when they do so with incomplete information it only stirs up more questions and concerns regarding what changes we can expect.

I don't blame folks for their reactions. Disney did not handle the announcement very well. They have done this before, putting releases like this in the hands of their bloggers without refining it to include the specifics people will be concerned with most about was a mistake. There is one blogger who repeatedly skips details in his posts and I have to wonder if he does it to get more reactions.

A few thoughts for the "Disney should do their own special thing..." camp:

Disney did do their own special version of a coffee shop. It was called the Fountainview Espresso and Bakery.

fountain_view_menu.jpg

It opened in November of 1993 as an annex of the Sunrise Terrace in Epcot (the remainder of which was converted into Pasta Piazza by May of 1994.)

It was a full on "coffee shop" with bakery items and froofy drinks. It served Nescafe products as well as Disney food items. It had/has a show kitchen bakery in the rear and is entirely setup akin to a modern Starbucks but with two-sided ordering. There was even ridiculous "coffee" theme items covering the walls.

epcot_fountain_view_2_20_2003.jpg

It never did well. It failed to attract guests and by 2001 it was on seasonal operation. The adjacent Pasta Piazza also failed to attract guests. Pasta Piazza became Character Connection as a test and due to the success of that test it was closed, torn down, and then finally became Character Spot.

Fountainview lingered on as a seasonal offering, until finally in 2007 they tore out the bakery case and put in ice cream as a menu offering. It has remained open as merely The Fountainview Cafe since then.

Disney's own conceptualization of a modern coffee shop failed to attract guests in one of the busiest theme parks in the world at one of the heaviest foot traffic areas. It simply wasn't good and it was a failure.

Now do any of us really think Starbucks is going to fail at that same location?

If you consider that factually, you can see why they're not going to attempt to make yet another Disney version of a Starbucks but rather just put a proper Starbucks offering in place at Fountainview and the Main Street Bakery.

It's nice that Disney lets us in on the plans, but when they do so with incomplete information it only stirs up more questions and concerns regarding what changes we can expect.

I don't blame folks for their reactions. Disney did not handle the announcement very well. They have done this before, putting releases like this in the hands of their bloggers without refining it to include the specifics people will be concerned with most about was a mistake. There is one blogger who repeatedly skips details in his posts and I have to wonder if he does it to get more reactions.

Disney handled it just fine. The only people "up in arms" or even the least bit confused/ worried about this are the basement-dwelling shut-ins who are glued to their Disney chat boards all day. The rest of the world understands what is happening or doesn't care. Disney cannot be blamed for issuing a press release that did not pass muster with the lunatic fringe.

Sincerely, a basement dwelling lunatic. :smokin:

Disney did do their own special version of a coffee shop. It was called the Fountainview Espresso and Bakery.

fountain_view_menu.jpg

It opened in November of 1993 as an annex of the Sunrise Terrace in Epcot (the remainder of which was converted into Pasta Piazza by May of 1994.)

It was a full on "coffee shop" with bakery items and froofy drinks. It served Nescafe products as well as Disney food items. It had/has a show kitchen bakery in the rear and is entirely setup akin to a modern Starbucks but with two-sided ordering. There was even ridiculous "coffee" theme items covering the walls.

It never did well. It failed to attract guests and by 2001 it was on seasonal operation. The adjacent Pasta Piazza also failed to attract guests. Pasta Piazza became Character Connection as a test and due to the success of that test it was closed, torn down, and then finally became Character Spot.

Fountainview lingered on as a seasonal offering, until finally in 2007 they tore out the bakery case and put in ice cream as a menu offering. It has remained open as merely The Fountainview Cafe since then.

Disney's own conceptualization of a modern coffee shop failed to attract guests in one of the busiest theme parks in the world at one of the heaviest foot traffic areas. It simply wasn't good and it was a failure.

If you consider that factually, you can see why they're not going to attempt to make yet another Disney version of a Starbucks but rather just put a proper Starbucks offering in place at Fountainview and the Main Street Bakery.

I was recently in Character Spot for the first time and I saw (I assume) the backside of the area pictured above. I was wondering what it used to be.

Thanks for the history lesson. :thumbsup2

A quick continuation of the history lesson...

Those who went to Character Spot before it closed recently for renovation might recognize the queue..

ghjfshgsad77.jpg

And in the right side of that photo is the back wall of the show kitchen of Fountainview - note the plexiglass low wall to let people see into it. Bakery made pastries there in full view of guests.

What guests? These ones..

epcot_pasta_piazza_3-3-01.jpg

That's almost the same angle as the first shot. But you may think, where's the column that is prominent in the first photo?

epcot_pasta_piazza_sign_5-27-01.jpg

It just didn't last :(

A quick continuation of the history lesson...

Those who went to Character Spot before it closed recently for renovation might recognize the queue..

ghjfshgsad77.jpg

And in the right side of that photo is the back wall of the show kitchen of Fountainview - note the plexiglass low wall to let people see into it. Bakery made pastries there in full view of guests.

What guests? These ones..

epcot_pasta_piazza_3-3-01.jpg

That's almost the same angle as the first shot. But you may think, where's the column that is prominent in the first photo?

epcot_pasta_piazza_sign_5-27-01.jpg

It just didn't last :(
WOW GREAT PICTURES! I don't remember this in EPCOT. But, anyhow very cool. Thanks for posting them. Brunette

There is one blogger who repeatedly skips details in his posts and I have to wonder if he does it to get more reactions.
Perhaps, though it also seems like a lot of the blow up over this was due to people seeing negative details that simply weren't there and instead of admitting that they don't know it seems that they chose to fill in the gaps with the most negative things they could think of.

Fellow Diser's Don't Forget To Vote!

Second there are specials going on at Starbucks BUY ONE GET ONE FREE!

YES FREE!

Free coffee alert! Tomorrow, Starbucks will launch four days of buy-one-get-one action to promote their seasonal holiday beverages. From 2 to 5 PM, you can go in with a friend and score an extra peppermint mocha, gingerbread latte, eggnog latte or carmel brulee latte and get another one for free. The giveaway runs from November 15 to the 18. The real question? How many free coffees can you drink in that sort time span?

http://blog.zagat.com/2012/11/starbucks-buy-one-get-one-starts.html

Have a Magical Day!

I didn't vote, because I need an "other" option. I think Starbucks certainly should be offered at Walt Disney World, but they shouldn't take over an entire coffee shop. It should be a Disney owned shop and offer the coffee as an *option*.

Thank you for the "I don't care" option. Sorry, just not feeling sentimental to either side. but, it's probably because I've never had a lick of coffee in my life.:coffee::confused3

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!":rolleyes2

I voted that I don't really care. I'm not the biggest Starbucks fan in the world, but it's OK. I rarely go in the MSB because it seems like there are ALWAYS super long lines whenever I look inside so I just move on. So this probably won't make any difference to me really.

fountain_view_menu.jpg

~This is SO ugly, it reminds me of the old Contemporary before the refurb! I can't believe I am saying this, but I wonder if Disney could corrupt Starbucks?!? I wasn't thrilled with the idea of Starbucks, it's part of my daily commute, I go to Disney to escape all that.

~But, what if Starbucks were to abandon their ideals & commitment to using quality & natural ingredients to adopt Disney's cheap homogenized dining model, dumb down their menus, cheapen the napkins and get rid of all the cute seasonal stuff? :cool2: :goodvibes

Thank you for the "I don't care" option. Sorry, just not feeling sentimental to either side. but, it's probably because I've never had a lick of coffee in my life.:coffee::confused3

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!":rolleyes2

You're welcome. Yeah, I'm with you, I love McDonalds coffee. :)

I didn't vote, because I need an "other" option. I think Starbucks certainly should be offered at Walt Disney World, but they shouldn't take over an entire coffee shop. It should be a Disney owned shop and offer the coffee as an *option*.

It IS a Disney owned shop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!