Policy Change Re: College Program Hours

Irish_Mike

DIS Veteran
I didn't notice a thread regarding this yet, and since applications for the next term are coming up in a couple weeks, I figured I'd share.

This information comes directly from the Disney Alumni Association group. For those that are alumni, you can view the post here. For everyone else, the gist is this:

As of Jan 15th, CPs are no longer allowed to give away shifts, they can only trade. Full Time, Part Time, and Seasonal can give shifts to cps but cannot take a shift unless they're trading.

Figure I'd let ya'll know in case you were unaware.

Wow, that's kind of weird. Any idea why?
I was getting scheduled 50-60 hours and 6 days almost every week on my program. I would not have been a happy camper if I wasn't allowed to give away.

Just heard about that. My guess is because too many CPs were just giving away shifts to go out and play.

This policy SUCKS. It's seriously awful. It ruins family vacations, events..sometimes people just need a day off for mental health reasons. I was also getting scheduled a ton- 50 hours and 6 days- and although I rarely gave away shifts, it was nice to have the option of a life on occasion. I am so glad I am no longer working at Disney despite how much I loved it.

That really sucks. Had I not been able to give away my shift I wouldn't have gotten to go see my fiance and his family for thanksgiving on my program.

I'm sure it is the bad apples that ruined the system or maybe even a union agreement. There were quite a few CPs at my attraction alone that never seemed to actually be at work. I have no clue how they could have possibly paid housing fees with how little they worked.

If any of ya'll are in the Disney Spring/Spring Advantage 2017 (unofficial) Facebook groups, it's a MESS on there right now over this.

I have no clue how they could have possibly paid housing fees with how little they worked.

^ this is what I think the main reason behind the policy change is. Some CPs would give away so many shifts that they would be unable to pay their housing fees. This policy has been in effect in the Disneyland Resort College Program for a little while now, so I wasn't too shocked when they announced they were bringing it over to WDW.

ETA: I think that if they're going to enforce this policy, they need to start putting a cap on how many hours a CP can be scheduled a week. It's ridiculous for them to schedule some people 90+ hours and not have them able to give at least some of them away.

If any of ya'll are in the Disney Spring/Spring Advantage 2017 (unofficial) Facebook groups, it's a MESS on there right now over this.

^ this is what I think the main reason behind the policy change is. Some CPs would give away so many shifts that they would be unable to pay their housing fees. This policy has been in effect in the Disneyland Resort College Program for a little while now, so I wasn't too shocked when they announced they were bringing it over to WDW.

I'm on the alumni and some are saying it is pure rumor and others are saying it is real. Seems DL has always had this rule even for regular CMs (they turn it on and off here and there) and I know after a certain point PT can no longer pick up shifts. Still if it is real it is going to be a major adjustment for a lot of PT people who rely on flight CPs to get hours from.

I'm on the alumni and some are saying it is pure rumor and others are saying it is real. Seems DL has always had this rule even for regular CMs (they turn it on and off here and there) and I know after a certain point PT can no longer pick up shifts. Still if it is real it is going to be a major adjustment for a lot of PT people who rely on flight CPs to get hours from.

Unfortunately, it's totally real. It was confirmed by a few of my location's leaders recently :(

Unfortunately, it's totally real. It was confirmed by a few of my location's leaders recently :(

That really sucks. Hopefully it is only temporary.

A side thought and totally based in rumor. A coordinator tried to tell me that Disney got a tax break for the CP program since it is an internship. If there is any truth to that it could be that if CPs aren't working then they are at risk of losing those tax breaks. Again could be completely rumor as I've never heard what exact tax break or money they could be getting for the internship program. That was also given for the reason they do the classes and workshops because by offering them they meet requirements of what an "internship" is.

Wow, that's kind of weird. Any idea why?
I was getting scheduled 50-60 hours and 6 days almost every week on my program. I would not have been a happy camper if I wasn't allowed to give away.

As others have said, it's (most likely, I don't ave confirmation) due to some CP's giving away so many shifts that they were unable to cover the rent payment on the apartments.

This is true, as confirmed by leaders. It does suck for everyone really because now regular CMs can't take their shifts for the extra hours.

You CAN however still submit days off in advance through the hub per usual for vacations and get them approved. But if they're not approved, then...well. It's still going to be difficult though if you come in August because most days are already put in from regular CMs.

Just heard about that. My guess is because too many CPs were just giving away shifts to go out and play.

This policy SUCKS. It's seriously awful. It ruins family vacations, events..sometimes people just need a day off for mental health reasons. I was also getting scheduled a ton- 50 hours and 6 days- and although I rarely gave away shifts, it was nice to have the option of a life on occasion. I am so glad I am no longer working at Disney despite how much I loved it.

Wow, I'm glad this wasn't in effect when I did my program. I didn't give away many shifts unless my family was visiting but having the option was nice if it was needed for other reasons.

Talking to CM.
She said they have been notified of the change.
Confirmed exactly as stated.
She, of course, can't trade to CP anyway due to level of her job - she supervises them.

Has heard the rumblings that much of this is to reduce the number of PT.

And I totally agree that too many CPs probably work the bare minimal to pay the rent then party .......

I know from when DD was there (did a year) ... many, once there, gave away lots of shifts, especially at the end of their run. With social media kids already know how to work the system before they even get there, work minimal, pay cheap rent, free tickets, discounts and have a great time. She was very frustrated at the numbers who had no experience and no work ethic. Now Disney can say right up front you WILL work XX hours. Non-optional. Maybe they will then get just the ones there to work and take away the Disney experience.

Talking to CM.
She said they have been notified of the change.
Confirmed exactly as stated.
She, of course, can't trade to CP anyway due to level of her job - she supervises them.

Has heard the rumblings that much of this is to reduce the number of PT.

And I totally agree that too many CPs probably work the bare minimal to pay the rent then party .......

I know from when DD was there (did a year) ... many, once there, gave away lots of shifts, especially at the end of their run. With social media kids already know how to work the system before they even get there, work minimal, pay cheap rent, free tickets, discounts and have a great time. She was very frustrated at the numbers who had no experience and no work ethic. Now Disney can say right up front you WILL work XX hours. Non-optional. Maybe they will then get just the ones there to work and take away the Disney experience.

The first effort to weed people out was to tie admissions to hours worked. I guess that didn't work so they are into this. I realized also by not being able to give away shifts they are saving money because CPs make the least of every CM and by forcing them to only swap and not out right give away then they know say 100 hours that week will be at the $8 an hour range.

The first effort to weed people out was to tie admissions to hours worked. I guess that didn't work so they are into this. I realized also by not being able to give away shifts they are saving money because CPs make the least of every CM and by forcing them to only swap and not out right give away then they know say 100 hours that week will be at the $8 an hour range.

Exactly. We said that tonight as we talked. Takes control of expenses that essentially some college interns were causing.

CPs can still give away shifts--they just have to have it approved by one of their leaders, which I'm sure will require a documented reason not to work the shift. You just can't give shifts away because you don't feel like coming into work anymore is all.

CP make $10hour which is also what I believe starting FT/PT make. I think they could have done this better by having rules:i.e., you can only give away X hours per pay period. You can't give hours away if you called out etc.. Disney is LUCKY they have the amount of interst in the CP program they have and should be careful that it doesn't get devalued by students.

That really sucks. Hopefully it is only temporary.

A side thought and totally based in rumor. A coordinator tried to tell me that Disney got a tax break for the CP program since it is an internship. If there is any truth to that it could be that if CPs aren't working then they are at risk of losing those tax breaks. Again could be completely rumor as I've never heard what exact tax break or money they could be getting for the internship program. That was also given for the reason they do the classes and workshops because by offering them they meet requirements of what an "internship" is.
That is true. Businesses do get tax breaks and credits for internships. Makes sense though about making sure that they are working the hours to qualify....totally makes sense!!

CP make $10hour which is also what I believe starting FT/PT make. I think they could have done this better by having rules:i.e., you can only give away X hours per pay period. You can't give hours away if you called out etc.. Disney is LUCKY they have the amount of interst in the CP program they have and should be careful that it doesn't get devalued by students.
I disagree with LUCKY to have the interest. There are plenty of people in the area looking for employment to fill those jobs....
Disney is a smart corporation. They don't do things that aren't beneficial to them. In this case both parties can benefit, but they don't need the college program in order to operate. It's a lot of new trainees several times a year, rather than potentially hiring locals who may stay for years (maybe not, but maybe...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!