Points Values for Hawaii

DavidRoss

Mouseketeer
Does anyone else feel the points values for Hawaii are too high for members of existing resorts of OKW and BWV for instance? It seems that DVC would be discouraging me from staying there when you look at points values for comparable accomodations at those resorts. It is actually a better value to trade to Hawaii through RCI then to use points to trade to Aulani.

Does anyone else feel the points values for Hawaii are too high for members of existing resorts of OKW and BWV for instance? It seems that DVC would be discouraging me from staying there when you look at points values for comparable accomodations at those resorts. It is actually a better value to trade to Hawaii through RCI then to use points to trade to Aulani.

Using higher points made the dues lower. I think that was their strategy. Same thing at BLT and VGC. So it hurts people from older resorts, we are paying higher dues on our points and to stay at one of those resorts requires more points. If someone from one of the new resorts stays at one of the older ones, they are paying lower dues and use lower points.

It is actually a better value to trade to Hawaii through RCI then to use points to trade to Aulani.

Don't be surprised if those RCI Hawaii destinations disappear soon. DVC has full control over the RCI list and they have a history of removing resorts in the same geographic area as one of their own.

Using higher points made the dues lower. I think that was their strategy. Same thing at BLT and VGC. So it hurts people from older resorts, we are paying higher dues on our points and to stay at one of those resorts requires more points. If someone from one of the new resorts stays at one of the older ones, they are paying lower dues and use lower points.
While that sounds like it makes sense on the surface, you really have to do the math and see how it affects you.

For one thing, you can't just look at dues costs. To get an accurate figure, you have to also look at acquisition costs (including financing costs, if you financed) and in many cases that comparison will favor the older, "less expensive" resorts.

I also think it's a mistake to divide the purchase price by the full number of years remaining on a contract, because I doubt if very many families will hold their DVC until expiration. If you only keep DVC for 20 years instead of 50 and get very little net from a resale (which is likely), the math changes radically.

So it hurts people from older resorts, we are paying higher dues on our points and to stay at one of those resorts requires more points. If someone from one of the new resorts stays at one of the older ones, they are paying lower dues and use lower points.

It depends how you look at it. Someone who bought OKW for $54 a point in the early 1990s can use those points to book Aulani, the same as an Aulani owner who bought in 2011 at $108 a point. Its difficult to say that the OKW owner is "hurt" when they use their points -- which cost half as much to buy -- to stay at Aulani.

Don't be surprised if those RCI Hawaii destinations disappear soon. DVC has full control over the RCI list and they have a history of removing resorts in the same geographic area as one of their own.
Also don't be surprised if RCI pulls their HI offerings -- or at least those on Oahu.

A 2 bedroom summer (RED) high demand week in RCI is 270 DVC points and the same thing at DVC Hawaii is 553 points.

This is a 100% premium to stay at Disney Aulani vs a non-DVC Hawaii resort

It depends how you look at it. Someone who bought OKW for $54 a point in the early 1990s can use those points to book Aulani, the same as an Aulani owner who bought in 2011 at $108 a point. Its difficult to say that the OKW owner is "hurt" when they use their points -- which cost half as much to buy -- to stay at Aulani.

I'm thinking more in terms of dues. I think they intentionally made the rooms at the new resorts higher points so that the dues would be lower, making it easier to sell. With all the stories of dues manipulations, it's not a surprise.

So if I use my BWV points to stay 1 week in a MK view 1 bedroom at BLT for 273 points, I pay $1,491 in dues on those points, where a BLT owner would only pay $1,062.

If I use my BWV points to stay 1 week in a boardwalk view 1 bedroom for the same dates for 202 points, I pay $1,103 in dues, where a BLT owner would only pay $786.

I could not agree more. my home is AKV. If I were to o in Jan, it would be a 2 for one trade out. Value Studios are only 9 points a night in Jan and Sep. At the new Hawaii resort a studio the same time frame is 18 points a night. No way Jose. This is one person who is not planing a trip to the new resort anytime in the near future. Right now the only way I am going is if the DCL cruise has a excursion that includes a stop there.

Is it just me or is Hawaii not a significanly more desirable vacation destination for many/most people than WDW?

And is Aulani not a substantially nicer resort then most if not all RCI Hawaiian resorts offered through DVC?

Also, don't forget that Aulani's kids' club - Aunty's Beach Club is completely FREE - i.e. included in the price. For families who use it that's got to be a value of at least $200 minimum per day for 2 kids. Probably more.

Is it just me or is Hawaii not a significanly more desirable vacation destination for many/most people than WDW?

And is Aulani not a substantially nicer resort then most if not all RCI Hawaiian resorts offered through DVC?

Also, don't forget that Aulani's kids' club - Aunty's Beach Club is completely FREE - i.e. included in the price. For families who use it that's got to be a value of at least $200 minimum per day for 2 kids. Probably more.

We feel the same way. Since the same Imaginer designed AKL/AKV and Aulani, they share many design elements. We enjoy the different looks available at WDW instead of similar designs. The higher prices at Aulani also is a issue. The room taxes, food cost and $35 for a refillable mug are real turn offs IMO.

:earsboy: Bill

I agree! I'll take the theming on the Aulani resort over any RCI trade anyday. I'm looking forward to our Jan 2012 quickie visit and hope to take the family back later.

Does anyone else feel the points values for Hawaii are too high for members of existing resorts of OKW and BWV for instance? It seems that DVC would be discouraging me from staying there when you look at points values for comparable accomodations at those resorts.

While a lot of people belive that the higher point values are so that they can offer lower dues. I belive it's so they can intentionally price out older resorts as the business ages and new resorts open. Why bother trying to exercise ROFR when you can just prevent those old cheap points from feasibly using the new resorts.

It's the easist way to fight declining values of the second hand points.

While I agree that staying at Aulani is expensive I guess I kind of expected that. Its in Hawaii and its Disney so you really are getting the best of both worlds. You can trade to RCI for a lot less and you'll get a lot less. In my opinion I think that deep down all DVC members would agree that DVC resorts are a lot more than your avg. timeshare no matter where they are located.

Is it right for everyone? Who knows but in the end its in the best interest of DVC for it to be successful. I for one can't wait to see it with my family in 6 months. No matter how many points it cost us.

What I was meaning to say earlier was that of course it's expensive! Everything in Hawaii is and always has been. A regular hotel room at the Hyatt on Kaanapali Beach has got to run a person at least $500 per night (I haven't checked lately). And the drinks delivered to your pool chair are like $8 plus tip.

There are cheaper ways to do Hawaii like stay at a small condo complex off the beaten path but if you want a full service beach front resort with amenities then it's going to cost you. And those resorts dont' have Disney themeing or free kids clubs.

(Now all that said, there are also a lot more luxurious resorts out there than Disney Deluxe resorts - like Hyatt, for example. Maybe Marriott is a better comparison.)

First, I actually think that considering the location (HELLO, it's HAWAII) the point charts for Aulani are quite reasonable - especially when compared to VGC or BLT. Those 2 properties leave me shaking my head every time I look at the charts. We just booked 6 nights in a LV studio at BLT for the end of March next year & it's costing us 150 points. A PV studio at Aulani for 6 nights in the summer would only cost 156 points. How can anybody say Aulani is unreasonable? Again, I will point out that it is HAWAII, not Orlando.

Next, Oahu is a different market than Maui. You really can't compare Maui properties to Oahu properties because Oahu is the cheapest island to stay on (as far as nightly hotel rates). One reason is that the properties on Oahu are for the most part located in Waikiki and are mostly just hotels, and are not truely resorts which offer the type of onsite ammenities that Aulani will have. Aulani is going to be fully loaded with things to do. Meanwhile, the properties on the other islands are more resort-like because the geography is different. Waikiki is a city & was built up many years ago so there's not land available for true resorts but it offers a lot of other things to do that are within walking distance. If you stay IN Waikiki you really don't even need a car. In Hawaii a rental car will set you back a good chunk of change.

No 2 Hawaiian islands are the same. They are all unique and each one offers it's own personality. Aulani is going to be more like some of the larger resorts like on the Big Island for example and will offer almost an all inclusive atmosphere (with respect to onsite ammenities). The only reason to leave it would be to go sightsee in Wakiki & Pearl Harbor etc. There really aren't a lot of other properties on Oahu which will offer anywhere close to the same amount of onsite things to do.

But having visited several of the Hawaiian islands multiple times I for one am not in shock at all over the point requirements. And I especially like that the point values are the same across the board (ie no premiums for the weekends). :thumbsup2

Here's a thought. Maybe those who think the points for Hawaii are too high have not vacationed there before? Maybe they haven't actually priced out staying at equivalent properties in Hawaii on a cash basis?! :confused3 Yes, you can go for less but not at comparable properties. That would be like comparing a week at POP to a week at the Poly. You really can't compare. They are 2 different trips.:rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter