PLEASE READ: New Signature Rules In-Place

CanadianGuy

<font color=green><br><br><font color=blue>Me and
A message from WebmasterAlex to the DIS Community...
---

Our signature rules were written a few years ago. Back then a lot of our posters used dial up connections and the VBulletin software did not have the functionality it does now.

The old rules were difficult to understand and they took a lot of moderator time to enforce. We have developed all new rules that should be much simpler and much easier to enforce automatically.

1. Your signature will be limited in length. The program will do this
automatically and anything over the allowed length will be cut off

Explanation- the biggest complaint we receive is that signatures are too long and it takes too long to scroll through threads. We are going to start with a height of 250 pixels, you'll see what that means when we roll this out. We may add an additional option so that a signature only appears once per page.

2. You will be limited to a total of 25 images and smilies The program
will handle this automatically

Explanation- That should be PLENTY considering the amount of space

3. All content and links must meet DIS board posting guidelines.
Signature have the same content rules as any post on the boards

Explanation- Pretty obvious I hope, this includes commercial link, links to inappropriate sites, etc etc

4. You may not have a signature that is so wide it causes the page to
expand

Explanation- This is something the software can't control. Basically the only way to do this is to have a really really wide picture. If your signature means people with a normal resolution monitor need to scroll from side to side you'll be told to remove the picture causing the issue

5. We reserve the right to remove or modify signatures that cause
issues with the boards or slow page loading. Please make sure any images in
your signature are hosted on a reliable site. Any signature that contains
malicious or harmful code will be removed immediately and the poster
sanctioned

Explanation- Most of this should be pretty obvious. One thing people might not realize is that when people complain about the boards being "slow" it may not be us at all. When the boards load a page, if it can't find an image, it can make the boards appear slow.

We will roll this out in a few days, probably Wednesday. You don't need to take any action now, but you probably will want to check your signature after this goes into effect to see how it was affected.

If you have any questions on this please post on this thread on the tech support board, I will monitor those.

The Webmasters believe that these new, simplified rules will make the boards a better place for our posters and moderators.

Thank you for being a DIS boards member!

Webmaster Alex

You might have to get creative.. basically you're looking a 'box' like shape of 250 pixels tall by 600 pixels wide.. You can put whatever you want that will fit in that space. The system will manage what's allowed and exceed's the limits.

I'm told images will 'self-adjust' later this week, that might mean you have some fixin to do once those changes are made.

I suspect you'll be able to fit everything you want into your new space.

Knox

Joanna - your Alice image right now is 146 pixels high. That means your entire signature will need to fit in a space that is that high, plus about another 100 pixels (about another 2/3rds of that box). Just eyeballing it, I'd guess you'll get about half of the rest of your signature in there. In your case you could remove or resize the Alice image, or remove some of the text.

That's not too bad. I am considering taking it out soon anyway.

We may add an additional option so that a signature only appears once per page.

Just wanted to give a little feedback... I LOVE this option! :thumbsup2 We had it on another board I used to frequent and it helped a ton on page loading speed.

As a court reporter, I am very impressed with your proper use of Affect and Effect:thumbsup2

Now, if we could just start getting people to start spelling WDW-related stuff correctly, like 'Ohana, Boma, Jiko,The Mara, Kona Cafe...

I'm just teasing, folks, don't go ballistic on me, please!:love:

I think this is a great idea. I just re-created my siggie to fit into a box. I didn't make it the entire 250 pixels high because I wanted my ticker to still fit at the bottom. I guess I will find out Wednesday if I need to modify anything or not.:thumbsup2

We may add an additional option so that a signature only appears once per page.
Could you please forward this to Alex, et. al.? --> If they do apply this option, could they consider perhaps making it so that that once is the LAST instance on the page, not the FIRST? Typically, users click on the link that brings them to point on the page just AFTER the last message that that user read, last time. So, if this option only shows the first instance of the signature, and if someone has a message above that point and below that point, then the signature would be on the earlier message, which the reader won't see.

It looks like I'm going to have to take out my Mickey image to make my signature compliant. I like my Mickey but I like the quotes more and I can only fit one or the other in the new space.

I understand why these new rules are being put in place but it is annoying having to take out stuff you like from your signature.

It looks like I'm going to have to take out my Mickey image to make my signature compliant. I like my Mickey but I like the quotes more and I can only fit one or the other in the new space.

I understand why these new rules are being put in place but it is annoying having to take out stuff you like from your signature.

See thats the thing a signature is supposed to be a signature, not a book!

Way to go guys!!! I hate having to scroll through a half paged signature (do people even read them?) to get to a new post

I don't think mine was a problem but I did move my picture and change it to my avatar. Hopefully this will be ok. We shall see on Wednesday. I do think some are too long. It is like reading a book.

I decided to change it back and see what happens. Then I can arrange my signature.

I really don't understand all this pixel stuff. lol

oh, duh...it didn't go into effect yet...well, i've been wanting to make my picture a bit smaller anyway.

I really don't understand all this pixel stuff. lol

Pixels are the little dots that make up the image on your screen. To check my signature I went into Paint, resized the blank image to 250x600 pixels, and saved it. Open up just the image and you can see what the maximum size is. I pulled it over my signature and it showed me what I would need to do to bring my signature into line with the new rules.

oh, duh...it didn't go into effect yet...well, i've been wanting to make my picture a bit smaller anyway.

The rules aren't in effect yet but will be in a few days. I say it is better to fix your signature now than later.

You'll need to make it a good bit smaller if you want to keep the rest of your signature. The picture alone is 321 pixels high. Currently your signature is over twice the maximum height allowed by the new rules.

I turned off avatars and signature long ago. Maybe if others did the same, the board would be a little quicker!:rolleyes1

Right now your photo in your sig is 321 pixels by 480 pixels. Here it is at 250 pixels high. If you want to keep the other information now in your sig, the picture will need to be further reduced in size.

250pixel.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter