Please help with my lodgings dilemma

pooch

Still feeling special!!
Ok, DH (non-Disney lover) ad I are going down for a week right after Thanksgiving to visit DD (cast member at Universal). I got great fares on Southwest ($90 PP each way on points). I was resigned to staying off site at the Marriott Grande Vista, then WDW offered me free dining, hence my dilemma!!

These are my choices:

1. Stay at the Marriott. We would have a 1 bedroom villa with a kitchen and a balcony. They also throw in 3 day WDW passes for DH & I. (DD has an AP) Would need to rent a car or have a car service for to and from airport. We would have to pay for ALL our food but would not be limited to WDW restaurants. Cost for the room would be $1750 plus rental car and food.

2. Stay At Port Orleans French Quarter (Garden View). The room would be much smaller (DD will be on the reservation but will probably not stay EVERY night with us). We probably won't need a rental car because of DME and the availability of DD and her car. We would have 2 day passes and DD would save hers to use when she renews her AP. Probably 75% of our food costs will be covered by eating on property. Our food options would have to be mostly out of park as I promised DH (remember him? the non-disney lover?) this would not be a "DISNEY" trip so only 2 days in a park and probably 3 days away from WDW. Cost for this option $2200

I have both options reserved at present. So what do I do?

Ok, DH (non-Disney lover) ad I are going down for a week right after Thanksgiving to visit DD (cast member at Universal). I got great fares on Southwest ($90 PP each way on points). I was resigned to staying off site at the Marriott Grande Vista, then WDW offered me free dining, hence my dilemma!!

These are my choices:

1. Stay at the Marriott. We would have a 1 bedroom villa with a kitchen and a balcony. They also throw in 3 day WDW passes for DH & I. (DD has an AP) Would need to rent a car or have a car service for to and from airport. We would have to pay for ALL our food but would not be limited to WDW restaurants. Cost for the room would be $1750 plus rental car and food.

2. Stay At Port Orleans French Quarter (Garden View). The room would be much smaller (DD will be on the reservation but will probably not stay EVERY night with us). We probably won't need a rental car because of DME and the availability of DD and her car. We would have 2 day passes and DD would save hers to use when she renews her AP. Probably 75% of our food costs will be covered by eating on property. Our food options would have to be mostly out of park as I promised DH (remember him? the non-disney lover?) this would not be a "DISNEY" trip so only 2 days in a park and probably 3 days away from WDW. Cost for this option $2200

I have both options reserved at present. So what do I do?

I would do POFQ with free dining. I am not a fan of staying off site, I don't like driving to the parks or taking hotel shuttles. Plus I don't spend time in my room or have any desire to use a kitchen. However, if you do like to spend time in your room and you plan to do any cooking, etc, then the villa is probably better for you. :thumbsup2

Does DD also dislike Epcot world showcase? Here are alot of dining options or other resort dining options. Boma for ex in AKL.

I ask as in the long run, if you max your dining credit, and enjoy dining WDW style, the disney package is the best option. I also think he would enjoy just the resort grounds.

I would take option 2. But i like disney!!

Plus you have the resort boats and can utilize DTD. Does option 1 mean staying mainly at the Marriott?? Port orleans doesnt have a in your face Disney feel. It is realaxibg. I wish we would invest more non park time there

Don't forget that you don't HAVE to go to a park to use your dining credits. Have dinner at a resort (Boma, Calif. Grill, etc) or on the Boardwalk or at DTD! :thumbsup2

I would do POFQ with free dining. I am not a fan of staying off site, I don't like driving to the parks or taking hotel shuttles. Plus I don't spend time in my room or have any desire to use a kitchen. However, if you do like to spend time in your room and you plan to do any cooking, etc, then the villa is probably better for you. :thumbsup2

When just DD and I go to WDW, we stay at Pop Century because we just want a clean room for sleeping and showering. We are at the parks the whole time. But I can't do that with DH. He needs to relax at the resort but not necessarily in the room. I picked POFQ because I think there are a few things we can do just hanging around there and also its proximity to DTD. DD points out that she has a kitchen in her apartment (lives in Kissimmee) if I have a burning desire to cook :rotfl:.

DD and I really want to stay on property. We LOVE WDW!!!! But I am trying not to be selfish as it is DH's vacation too. I keep telling myself we WILL eat up (no pin intended) the cost difference in free food even if we do eat a few meals off site.

When just DD and I go to WDW, we stay at Pop Century because we just want a clean room for sleeping and showering. We are at the parks the whole time. But I can't do that with DH. He needs to relax at the resort but not necessarily in the room. I picked POFQ because I think there are a few things we can do just hanging around there and also its proximity to DTD. DD points out that she has a kitchen in her apartment (lives in Kissimmee) if I have a burning desire to cook :rotfl:.

DD and I really want to stay on property. We LOVE WDW!!!! But I am trying not to be selfish as it is DH's vacation too. I keep telling myself we WILL eat up (no pin intended) the cost difference in free food even if we do eat a few meals off site.

Even though he isn't a WDW lover I think he would still prefer to be onsite. The stress of transportation back and forth would make him miserable I think. Plus POFQ/POR offers lots of things to do and see for relaxation. The boat to DTD is a big plus too.

Definitely POFQ with FD. And definitely check out the resorts for some wonderful dining experiences.

The advantage of staying at the POFQ and POR resorts is that you can end your day at a resort, after dining, and take the DTD bus back to the hub.

If you look up as you are exiting the bus hub, you will see the top of the volcano at RFC. The dock for the water taxi is just beyond RFC.

The water taxis run every 10 minutes after 4 p.m., so you never wait long for one. And POFQ is the first stop before heading to POR, so it is only about a 12 to 15 minute ride or so.

Definitely POFQ with FD. And definitely check out the resorts for some wonderful dining experiences.

The advantage of staying at the POFQ and POR resorts is that you can end your day at a resort, after dining, and take the DTD bus back to the hub.

If you look up as you are exiting the bus hub, you will see the top of the volcano at RFC. The dock for the water taxi is just beyond RFC.

The water taxis run every 10 minutes after 4 p.m., so you never wait long for one. And POFQ is the first stop before heading to POR, so it is only about a 12 to 15 minute ride or so.

I would check out www.portorleans.org & look at the difference between POR & POFQ. Dh & I took the carriage ride through POFQ & decided it was way too small for us & nothing to do. POR offers a lot. We spent a whole evening just relaxing around the resort & people watching. We always stay in AB preferred. In the fall we're hoping to stay in the mansions. Enjoy your vacation.

Eeyore's My Favorite said:
I would check out www.portorleans.org & look at the difference between POR & POFQ. Dh & I took the carriage ride through POFQ & decided it was way too small for us & nothing to do. POR offers a lot. We spent a whole evening just relaxing around the resort & people watching. We always stay in AB preferred. In the fall we're hoping to stay in the mansions. Enjoy your vacation.

POR is my home resort; I was responding to the OP who had very different desires that would not fit the POR.

Believe me, I know everything about POR and spend hours on this thread, as well as portorleans.org and allearsnet.com. I am not sure why you directed the response at me.

POR is my home resort; I was responding to the OP who had very different desires that would not fit the POR.

Believe me, I know everything about POR and spend hours on this thread, as well as portorleans.org and allearsnet.com. I am not sure why you directed the response at me.

Sorry! Didn't mean to step on toes!!

any and all opinions :angel:!! And should I be surprised that not one Disser seriously suggested I stay at the Marriott????

I would say POFQ also. Free food is free food. I would go for it. I would use that as your selling point to your DH. Lol (it would work with mine). My issue with staying off site seems so complicated. On site is simple, bus boat or monorail.

I'm a little confused :confused3. If your DD is a CM at Universal, have you planned any Universal days? Can she get you a CM discount on a Universal resort? And free Univ. tickets?
I would do this, and since your only planning on 2 wdw park days, with DD, drive to wdw with her for your 2 wdw park days. And you'd be right at Universal to go there too.

I'm a little confused :confused3. If your DD is a CM at Universal, have you planned any Universal days? Can she get you a CM discount on a Universal resort? And free Univ. tickets?
I would do this, and since your only planning on 2 wdw park days, with DD, drive to wdw with her for your 2 wdw park days. And you'd be right at Universal to go there too.

discount at the Universal Resorts is very small, nowhere near the discount of Free Dining. And, yes, we will go to Universal Studios/IOA for free 1 day with her. But, since Univ/IOA closes between 6 and 7pm during our stay, we can easily return to WDW for dinner.

I would almost always opt for on-site over off-site. In your case, I would choose POFQ but I might opt to rent a car too. If three days worth of meals will need to be eaten outside of a park, Disney transportation can frankly be annoying and time consuming to get to other resorts. Having a car would make it much easier to utilize the dining credits outside of parks.

I would almost always opt for on-site over off-site. In your case, I would choose POFQ but I might opt to rent a car too. If three days worth of meals will need to be eaten outside of a park, Disney transportation can frankly be annoying and time consuming to get to other resorts. Having a car would make it much easier to utilize the dining credits outside of parks.

we will have acceess to DD's car as she will be staying with us most of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter